“It was a good place for us.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandcastle Inn

Sandcastle Inn
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Peoria, Arizona
“It was a good place for us.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Sometimes it's best not to look at the reviews. If I had read the other reviews first, we would not have stayed. However, we did stay and it was fine. The room was clean, everything worked, good shower, decent linen, and the location is excellent. (Of course, it's a small island so a really poor location is hard to find.) This hotel is on the beach side of the road and the beach is a 5 minute walk. Moreover, a ice cream parlor and good seafood restaurant is right across the street. If we return to Tybee, we will probably stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Putterface

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We went stayed no plans checked in room was fine. Now this in not top line place so if you're a spoiled person don't go here. Not nasty like other reviews no mold, bugs. Little out dated but fine for just the little you are there in the room. The pool was fine kids loved playing in. And didn't meet one person that worked there that was rude. I think that if you're rude and snotty than that's what you get back. We would stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Tabatha M
Statesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stay here every chance we get.Probably over the years,2 to 5 times per year.Nina and Elizabeth are always great.The prices are great.The location can't be beat.The atmosphere right across from Stingrays,walking distance from the beach,right in the middle of everything,wonderful.This is an older motel that is constantly improving.So if you see some work going on,it is a good thing.So relax,know things are good,and enjoy yourself.They don't have fitted sheets,so if this is a biggy for you,go some place else.As for me and my wife,we have always loved our stay here.

Room Tip: Behave,act like you've got some sense.And you will be treated like you've got some sense.Not...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David W
Lafayette, LA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

PROS: Rates during the week were reasonable, since most hotels on that island charge a ridiculous $100-$200/night. Rates was a fair 89/night for a king. I was there for business, so I might as well get to see the beach while in town. The room I stayed in (112) wasn't too bad. It had a few minor "upgrades". For example the A/C was newer and worked well, and it had a more modern shower head and the shower rod was curved to give you more space in the already tiny bathroom. Microwave and fridge were the same make and models as in more pricier hotels. The wifi worked fast and had no problems connecting. I also did not have the cleanliness issues as previously mentioned in other reviews. I did not use the pool due to the season. Still a bit to cool for me. The staff wasn't over the top great, but were friendly enough. The location is what you are of course paying for, since I you can walk to the beach and not have to cross the street. It is also across the street from a very loud outdoor/indoor restaurant. Normally that would be a bad thing, but the music and food is great (if you like country and the occasional 80's rock from the live band). Several people brought chairs and tables from the rooms and sat outside for hours. I simply propped the door open and did paperwork with the music in the background. And they didn't play until ungodly hours either.

CONS: Don't pay for their weekend rates. Not worth it. To think they can charge that much money and still have a wallpaper border in the room from the 90's. The furniture and bedding weren't any better. (The bed had this weird sheet thing that kept coming off at night, I honestly think a fitted sheet would of done better.) Bed and pillows were soft enough.

Overall, could of been better, could of been worse.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room up front. Back parking lot very narrow and sloped.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dallas, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I'll start by saying this hotel was not my first pick but agreed to stay here when my original choice over booked their rooms and my booking agency ask if I would be ok staying here. This trip was part business part pleasure - my wife drove down to meet me for a mini vacation. It was spring break and island hotels were mostly booked and rates jacked up. When I checked in the young man at the desk was ok to deal with but obviously hated his job and didn't care if I stayed or not. He took my credit card and charged all four nights upfront...I told him I would pay night to night but not all four nights. The place was so out dated that I ask him to show me my room before I would check in...which he did. Room was ok at first glance until bugs appeared later that night. Next morning I went to the lobby for their complimentary breakfast which consisted of terrible coffee, a few old pastries and a couple selections of cereal....it was pitiful to say the least. I was told the pool was closed due to the time of year even though they had no problem with raising their rates due to the time of year! The real kicker was the next day when I told the lady at the desk that I wanted to remind her (I emailed ahead of time) that my wife was on her way and ask where she should part her car...OMG ....she went off on me, saying she could not park her car on their property, that only one car per room was allowed. From there our heated conversation turned into a shouting match! Finally, I said I would go elsewhere and she said go ahead but I needed to go quickly because I was holding her up from renting my room out. We could not get out of there quick enough! We went across the street to the Dunes Inn & Suites and were welcomed with open arms, had a great room, lovely pool, nice breakfast and more importantly... great customer service!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Tybee Island hotels

Statesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I've noticed a lot of negative reviews about this motel and the staff. I have stayed here several times a year for the last 10 years. I have also stayed in motels all over this wonderful country of ours. First of all,when you go to a motel you have never been to before,"always ask to see the room before you waste anybodies time." Then you see what it's like. If you don't like what you see,go someplace else. My experience at the Sandcastle has always been a positive one. I have always had a good experience with the staff. Sometimes in life,we get as good as we give. The Sandcastle is not the Taj Mahal,it is a good motel in a great location with a wonderful staff. It is not new,and it is priced very competitive in comparison to others in the area. I love Tybee Island,The Sandcastle and The Staff.I would like to thank all of them for many wonderful trips to the area.David Wyatt.Statesville,NC

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank David W
Murrayville, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

It was just ok the AC in our room was so old you couldn't set the thing so it was hot, cold, hot, cold all weekend but not a bad room a little noisy but...let's just say if it's the only place to stay fine but if another place is available id say else where

Stayed October 2013
#2 of 8 in Tybee Island
Dunes Inn & Suites
Dunes Inn & Suites
#3 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Sandcastle Inn? Share your experiences!