“Perfect!!”

Ranked #3 of 8 Tybee Island B&B and Inns
danacherie
“Perfect!!”
Reviewed 11 December 2008

My husband and I needed a getaway, and decided to do something new. We have stayed at the DeSoto Hotel next door, and when looking at their website, discovered their B&B next door. WE decided to give it a try, as we have never done a b&b before.

At this VERY moment, writing this review, I am sitting on our cozy king bed in the lovely Tybee Suite. I have the sliding glass door curtains and sliding PLANTATION SHUTTERS?!? (wow! totally cool! never seen those before!) open and am watching the waves crash on the beach!

This morning I woke up and smelled breakfast cooking, but strangely enough, I never HEARD a thing! It is SO quiet. I dozed back off, but the smell of bacon and sausage would not be denied, so I finally worked up the courage to venture downstairs. (keep in mind, I have never been to a b&b before, and I am VERY shy).
I poked my head around the corner, and was greeted with a friendly smile by Donna. I apologized for having borrowed two glasses from the cupboard the night before, as I had not yet discovered the glasses in our room. She told me not to worry and then explained how the b&b works. I then fixed a plate of the most delicious sausage and pancakes. There was a lovely bowl of fruit, yougurt, cold cereal, bagels, and she even offered to make french toast and eggs! She was just too sweet and made me feel so comfortable and welcome....

I really just could not recommend this place any more highly. Yes, there are a few little wear and tear spots, as you would find in ANY beachfront property, but the comfort and beauty and frendliness far outweigh any tiny cosmetic imperfections.

I highly recommend you give this one a try!

• Liked — Comfy bed, beautiful surroundings, the breakfast and DONNA!!!
  • Disliked — a couple tiny little cosmetic details, nothing that detracted from the experience at all!!!
  • Stayed December 2008
1 Thank danacherie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Oxford, Al
Reviewed 21 July 2008

I contacted this property by phone approx. one month prior to my requested date. I was surprised to find that they had a vacancy. The lady I spoke with told me their was not a minimum stay requirement, which was also surprising. She said that their finest suite was available and coaxed me into reserving it. I guaranteed it with my visa debit card.

Upon my arrival on Saturday, July 19th, The lady at the desk said that they had to cancel my reservation. I arrived at 7:30 p.m. She informed me that they ran my card that I secured the reservation with at 6:00 p.m., and that it was standard procedure. She claimed the card was rejected, and that they ran it again to be sure. She stated that the suite had been given to someone else.

I asked her to recheck the card number. All she checked was the last four digits. She would not let me see the document she held in her hand stating the card was rejected. I told her that it was impossible for the card to be rejected, that the balance was high on it, and it had never been rejected before. All she said was "I'm sorry".

I asked her repeatedly why she didn't call me if the card was rejected. I could have given her another one. She never would give me a straight answer. After a couple of minutes the lady became impatient and told me to leave. I never used any profanity, nor did I raise my voice. I did , however, voice my disbelief and disgust in no uncertain terms.

A lady who was standing at the counter asking for a room walked out shortly after I did and commented on the desk clerk's rudeness, and said that the clerk probably ran my debit card as a credit card. I'm 52 and have been all over the U.S., staying in high end resorts as well as log cabins and nonexclusive motels in nondescript towns. I have never encountered this problem before.

Maybe someone wanted the room for two nights, so I was tossed aside. I don't know. But the room was not cheap, and I don't think a phone call to me was asking too much before the room was given away. My wife and I drove 350 miles to stay there, only to be turned away. There were no other rooms to be had on the island.

We went back to the city (Savannah), and looked for a room. The only room we could find was at the Westin- a golf and spa resort across the river from the city. It was a little expensive, but since it was only one night, it was fine. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Incidently, the card she claimed was refused at the bed-and-breakfast was accepted 2 hours later at the Westin.

Based on my brief experience with DeSoto Bed and Breakfast- the lady's rudeness and uncaring attitude, I would not recommend this place to anyone. They are not deserving of your business.

I would not recommend Tybee Island either. As beaches go, it is a rather dreary place. The ocean doesn't have the beautiful blue color I am accustomed to at other beaches I've visited. I am told it is because of runoff from nearby rivers that deposits silt on the ocean bottom, preventing the sun from reflecting off the sand of the ocean floor.

The owners of the Bed and Breakfast also own the motel next door.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
12 Thank anniston5
Georgia
Reviewed 7 November 2007

We only stayed on Tybee for one night before heading to Savannah, but I wish it could have been a week! The Desoto Bed & Breakfast was wonderful. After a day at the beach, we returned to wine and cheese at the B&B. The next morning, we woke up to the smell of coffee and the sound of sizzling bacon. The food was delicious! The staff was friendly and helpful and everything in the house was clean and well kept. Wonderful time and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank GACoastVacation
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 March 2005

We just are returning back to Atlanta after a wonderful weekend on Tybee Island. We stayed at a new place next to the DeSoto Beach Hotel (inwhich is where we usually stay, but they suggested this B&B, they just opened it!) Well let me tell you we had a Great Time, and the Place is superb!!!! wonderfully decorated, well place furniture, and the Staff, and The Food...Great, we will be back, We Love The DeSoto, now both of Them!!!
Thanks a bunch

#17 of 113 in Savannah
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,213 reviews
Hotel Tybee
#2 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to DeSoto Beach Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!