“Great time at Marine Center”

Tybee Island Marine Science Center
More attraction details
Owner description: We provide year-round programs for island visitors and groups . . . On the beach, in the marsh, on the water, in the classroom, and our Coastal Georgia Gallery. Our mission is to cultivate responsible stewardship of coastal Georgia's natural resources through education, conservation, and research. Island's Visitors: Walks, Talks & Treks and Sea Camp: Coastal Kids Ocean Adventure Corporate-Family-Elderhostel Groups: Authentic Coastal Experience and Floating Classrooms School Groups: Coastal Classroom Girl Scouts: Coastal Badge Program Boy and Cub Scouts: Barrier Island Patch Program and Oceanography Merit Badge Program Our Ocean Outreach program extends our educational reach to public and private events
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I took my cadette girl scout troop to the Tybee Island Marine Center on a chilly day during our spring break. This was the hi-light of our trip to the Savannah area. If you have a group, its a good idea to plan ahead and book a tour. My girls had been working on a badge that goes along with visiting the center, its the Georgia Costal Badge. They enjoyed and learned so much from the marine biologist that gave us a tour of the beach. Her enthusiasim was contagious! They got to see and touch creatures that were in the shallow surf. We also got a tour of the Marine Center and the girls had time to explore the local wildlife they had on display there. It was so chilly that we opted to do some sand sifting and look at the creatures through a magnifying glass.....very interesting! I only wished it had been a warmer day so the girls could have experienced putting a net in the surf!
I as an adult learned things that I never would have if we had not taken that beach walk. I plan on taking my younger daughters troop in a few years and will definetly being coming here again.....very well done!

Cody S, Manager at Tybee Island Marine Science Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Hi there! Thank you so much for bringing your scouts to the science center, and for posting your feedback to TripAdvisor. Last March really was chilly, but I'm thrilled you and your scouts enjoyed your badge program. I hope we get to see you during warmer months on your next visit!

Cody Shelley

in 19 reviews
"small fee"
"field trip"
in 4 reviews
"staff was very friendly"
in 6 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 44 reviews

Reviewed 7 August 2013

This place has 4 small rooms, with some local turtles, a baby alligator, and maybe 10 interesting fish, horseshoe crabs, etc.. One of the rooms has a table with a bunch of large seashells, and a touch tank with little crabs. There's a collection of beach sand from around the world. We had 2 kids with us, a 7-year-old and a 3-year old. The older one liked looking at the seashells, and a couple of the fish. The little one enjoyed the touch tank. All together, it took us about 10-15 minutes to walk through, and we really took our time and talked about all the different creatures. There were a couple of small exhibits that were under construction, so it was just empty tanks.

There is a roped-off area, which I think had some kind of camp or something going on. They also do beach walks for kids.

If you have little kids that like fish, then I say go for it, but it's not going to take up very much time.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

This is a small science center with tanks of marine life that the local conservationists have not only a place to continue the study and preserve the area marine wildlife. The money goes to support the center. For $4 just to see the animals and go back behind the scenes to talk to the staff is worth it. Tybee island is just infront of the center. The parking is metered with a box that you get a sticker to put on the dash. Go early in the morning to the beach as it gets crowded quickly. There are a few shops around to look at. Overall, it is nice to know that there is a preservation area that is mindful of the richness of what is needed to protect.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

This place is great. The exhibits and aquariums are very informative. And the staff is very friendly. We loved the beach walks.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We had a beach walk and seining trip booked well in advance and ended up feeling like we were added on as an overbooked after-thought. Our guide referred to himself in the third person and frequently checked his phone to monitor the time. It didn't help that another group was having the same experience and within earshot it was easy to see the difference of enthusiasm and engagement she had with that group.
Our guide did fulfill the requirements of the experience, we captured little fish with the net, and it was fun, but he never let us take that up close look after they were in the bucket.
With a hammock net and a smart phone I feel as if I could have provided a similar experience for the group with less investment. It wasn't a bad experience, it just wasn't good or great. Also, it was Saturday, the Center was busy and our schedule was tight so I wasn't able to provide feedback when I was there.

3  Thank Jwl300