“Great restaurant despite location!”
Review of Sundae Cafe

Sundae Cafe
Ranked #1 of 55 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Traveling with a group of friends to Tybee Island I was initially suspect about how good a restaurant in a strip center would be. Luckily, I was overridden and to Sundae's we went. We were lucky to get a reservation. The cocktails were among the best we've ever had. Try the Au Pear or Cucumber martinis. Six of us shared a bunch of entrees, all were excellent and creatively prepared. Need a break from fried fish at the beach? Sundae's is the place to be!

There are newer reviews for Sundae Cafe

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We had lunch across the street and almost canceled our dinner reservations at Sundae Cafe when we saw what it looked like from the outside. Literally next to a liquor store and gas station. But walk in the door and you will immediately forget where you parked. The food was just outstanding and the waitress we had was a sketch. Had to forgo my shrimp and grits to try the tuna, and was so glad I did! The portions are huge, but if you try to split an entree they will charge $7 - so just order a salad and maybe you will have room for dessert!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Yes it's small, yes it's crowded, and yes it's in a Gas/Convenient Store shopping center. Yes, if you're in a hurry, go somewhere else. If all that is ok with you, go enjoy a great meal be it lunch or supper. We did both. We had time to kill before our rental would be ready and it was lunch time. Deb saw good reviews in Southern Living so we went for lunch. We were seated right away but there were very few tables. I can see why they HIGHLY recommend reservations for supper. Deb had the pork tenderloin on a bun special and it melted in her mouth. I had a shrimp po-boy and the shrimp were perfect in a light batter. Great lunch with very good service for as crowded as it was. Deb's sister came to visit Tuesday so we knew it would be crowded so we called in for carry out. Deb and her sister had the fried shrimp dinner and the shrimp again were to die for. We are Low Country people so we know our shrimp. I had the Jambalaya and I have to admit, it was as good as any I've had in New Orleans even though theirs has a twist. Penne pasta. The girls tried it and loved it to. Everybody there was nice to us, the food was great, we will be coming back next time to Tybee.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This was our first lunch spot on our honeymoon and it didn't disappoint! For $9 we had a huge entree and the whole thing was cooked to perfection. It wasn't enough for them to just throw a slab of meat on your plate with the sides. They paid attention to every detail. Even my lima beans were cooked up with extraordinary flavor - I think there was chicken broth in it with some chunks of ham. The corn was fresh off the cob and sauteed with onions, peppers, and bacon. It was truly a gourmet experience, and considering the price, there was no question - we were going back. We ate here twice for lunch on our honeymoon and probably would have gone again if we had stayed longer. We sat at the bar both times and got to chat with some local people who were all so sweet to us. They recommended coming back for dinner, but we couldn't argue with the value of the lunch special so we stuck with that. We sat next to a guy who eats there almost every day - if I lived there, I'd probably do the same.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

The food is sooooo good! My fish was perfect. My husband's steak was perfect, the sweet potato French fries were yummy, the dessert was good. The price was higher than we would have liked for dinner. Yes, this is kind of a fine dining place - the food for sure is fine dining, the atmosphere is tight with tables very close, because of so many guests, it's a little louder than "fine dining" would normally be. Plus, it's located in a strip mall next to a liquor store and a gas station. The service was good - not great. My kids, although extremely well-behaved, (I always bring things for them to do, such as coloring, a book, etc) were not overly welcomed. I would go back to this restaurant because of the food. I would just be better prepared now for the bill to be higher than I expected.