“Well worth the money!”
Review of Royal Palm Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tybee Island
Royal Palm Motel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Alabama
“Well worth the money!”
Reviewed 17 September 2009

It’s nothing special. Small, but clean. I found it pretty cozy myself. I knew for what I was paying for it was not going to be the Grand Marshall of motels. Convenient, friendly staff and cheap! Would defiantly stay again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 July 2009

Spent 3 nights here with no complaints. Great value for beach location. Clean, well ran, very friendly staff. One of the first motels on island, old but well maintained. Pool was wonderful and very clean. The price made our trip possible, otherwise could not have visited Tybee. Thank you for not eliminating the ability for middle class folks to visit and stay on this beautiful island. Can't pay $175 per night that most places were asking. This $75 per night left us with plenty of money to eat and play on the island. Royal Palm is THE place to stay on Tybee!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank woodyball6
griffin, ga
Reviewed 25 June 2009

My family and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Royal Palm Motel. I had read reviews of the motel, so I was not surprised at the decor when we arrived. It is very old, but very clean. Our room had two beds and a desk in it, with little room for much else. The bathroom was so small that my knees touched the bathtub when sitting on the toilet. The shower was very small as well, but the entire bathroom was very clean. The main issue with the bathroom was that the toilet would back up from even the smallest amount of tissue put in it, and the bath towels were barely big enough to dry off my 4 year old son. There was a fridge in the room, as well as a microwave, but I was surprised that there was no iron or ironing board at all, or even a clock. Also, there is no closet. There is a small shelf, about two feet long, hanging on the wall with a few wire hangers on it. I by no means need a 4 star hotel to travel comfortably, but would have liked a few more ammenities than provided. The parking lot was very small, cramped, and it was a fight daily to get a parking spot. My only issue with cleanliness was that our carpet was FILTHY. I would not let my family walk around on the floor w/o flip flops on at all times. If you did, within seconds, your feet were completely black. The one thing that my son loved was the swimming pool right outside of our door. It was very clean, and we saw the management tending to it daily. All in all, it was a pleasant stay on Tybee Island, but we will spend a little extra money in the future to stay at a more updated hotel. I do recommend that if you are going to stay here, do not stay in a room on the bottom floor. We did, and it was so loud from upstairs, that you would swear the ceiling was going to cave in at any moment.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 September 2007

The Royal Palm Motel is located on the main drag, Butler Street, one block off the beach in central Tybee Island. It is listed on tybeeisland.com as a Budget Family Motel. This is a good discription as long as your family is small or willing to rent more than one room. It was the right size for us, I'm a single parent with one kid.

The Royal Palm is an older tourist court type motel with and interior parking area with the pool in the center; all of the rooms overlook the pool. The exterior is beautifully maintained with new hand rails, paint and signage. The whole parking and pool area is nicely complemented with very tall palm trees that give it a very nice appearence. From the street I think this is the prettiest property on Tybee.

We stayed here based on price, which was very reasonable.

THE GOOD -

VERY CLEAN ROOMS - I chatted up the housekeeper, she is a dear lady, and she is good. Keeping these rooms clean is a trick because the bathroom tub and sinks are CHEAP stuff and keeping them clean in appearence is challanging. The bed spreads and linens very extra clean.

Stellar location - one block off the beach via a very nice pedistrian bridge.

New T.V. with Free HBO - excellent 25 inch screen

Lovely, friendly desk clerk and owner - you won't find any better

Great Pool - clean with pleasent plants and plam trees surronding it - nice place to relax

The beds were comfortable

THE BAD

Small room and tiny bathroom; the tub / shower was small and made of plastic. When I was showering I felt the plastic tub flexing under my weight.

The dark paneling in the rooms give them a dim, depressing feel.

There are coffe makers in the room but NO COFFEE OR FILTERS

No closet - has a shelf / rack with coat hangers in the corner by the door.

THE WORLDS SMALLEST BATH TOWELLS - my twelve year old couldn't dry herself off completely because the towell is not only small but thin. Fortunately we brought beach towells and we used them.

Parking is adequate but cramped

The Royal Palm is perfect for College Spring Breakers because the price is right, the location is stellar and the layout is perfect for standing outside your room, drinking beer and oogling the cuties laying out by the pool exhibiting their wares. I mean if you have been spending all year in a dorm the rooms won't bug you.

For families the place will work if you get multiple rooms but for goodness sake bring towells. If you want coffee bring it with you with # 2 basket type filters.

You will like Tybee Island, the foods great and the locals are very friendly and it's only 16 miles from Savannah. I was suprised how UNcommercialized things are; no fast food joints with obnoxious signs. Lots of older beach homes and under stated motels. No tatoo parlors, strip joints or biker bars. Nice laid back seafood places and local stores. Great place for a weekend and be sure to check out the co ed waitresses at Sting Rays Seafood on Butler, I like the way they put the menus in the back of their little shorts so it just barely covers their Tramp Stamp tatoos! - Enjoy

• Liked — The Employyes and Owner
  • Disliked — The small bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family