“Horrible!”

Ranked #7 of 8 Tybee Island B&B and Inns
Jonesboro, Georgia, United States
“Horrible!”
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My husband and I decided to honey moon at Tybee Island. As a new couple this was are first actual vacation as well as a very special time for us due to the recent wedding. I took it upon myself to make the arrangements. Over the phone the person at the Atlantis Inn was very helpful. They set my husband and I up for a two day stay in their Moulin Rouge Room. Are trip there was good but long, it took us four and half hours to get there. When we got to the hotel there was no parking all. I got out of the car to run in and ask the receptionist were more parking was. He was extremely nice and told us we could park out front and when he left for the night we could have his parking spot.
After we got parked my husband and I went in together to get our room keys. Once again the male receptionist that was there at the time was very helpful in letting us know where various things were around the island. We walked up to the room and I had noticed the sign on the door was not the same in which I had initially booked. The room number led us to the Poseidon Room. We unlocked the door to see rose petals leading up to the room. The room was absolutely breathtaking. As we looked around we noticed that there were items belonging to someone else in there. An IPad or Nook sitting on the table, a shopping bag in the chair, sandals and empty beer case in the bathroom... and bags. We were someone else's room! We both thought oh my goodness, if it was us staying in this room someone could have easily taken our stuff!!! Upset, we went down to the office again to get the correct keys to our room.
We once more pick up all our bags and went to the correct room. We open up the door to see a very very small room. For $550.00 for two nights it was no where worth it. It was hot, the window was left open and there were flies everywhere and worse of all... the room had never been cleaned. Trash everywhere, the bed completely ripped apart. The toilet had urine in it, The Jacuzzi was filthy, towels on the floor... terrible!
Very very upset my husband went down stairs and talked to the receptionist once more. The receptionist came up and apologized, stating that he would get in contact with the manager and we would be able to talk to him as well. Meanwhile, he put us into another room. This room went for a hundred and something a night. It was fairly equal in size to the Moulin Rouge Room, but did not have a Jacuzzi in it and was also very hot as well. There we sat for well over 3 hours. Several times in between checking in with the receptionist to see if the manager was on his way yet. Being told that the manager lived blocks away, we found it hard to understand why a matter like this wasn't urgent enough for him to come immediately.
By the time the manager made it to the hotel, we had already put our belongings back in the car and were prepared to make the long drive back home. After SEVERAL times of the manager saying 'give me just 15 minutes to get the room cleaned for you' and 'let me give you $50 for dinner somewhere', we finally made him realize that not only was it about the rooms, but at this point, it was also about our time wasted in waiting for him and the fact that it was our honey moon night.
Once things were settled (week to week 1/2) we got our money back for the rooms and now have to travel all the way back to Tybee so we don't miss out on our $190.00 non-refundable reservation for jet skis that we had planned for that next day. I hope that the individuals that had The Posidon Room for the weekend of June 15th. 2012 see this review and know as well that their keys to the room with all there valuable belongings was giving to complete strangers.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jasmin W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Very nice and helpfull service. With rooms remembering me on my younger years, but with lot of charm.

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We were married on the beach at sunset, and Mel and VJ made us feel like family! If you love the company who has time to consider anything else! Thanks guys.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank ShawnTB
Decatur, GA
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay in this hotel. We had sincere and honest customer service. Parking is somewhat limited, but the people at the front desk are more than happy to take you via golf cart from a larger parking lot behind the Dunes hotel to their location, which serves for a pleasurable ride through Tybee. The location is very nice, with only a short walk to a quieter part of the beach.

In terms of the rooms, I found them endearing. They definitely aren't modern or new by any means, but you can tell the owners put thought and care into the individual characteristics of each one. The rooms are smaller, but comfortable. Who wants to be in a room while they're at the beach anyway? Overall, nice place to stay with great customer service.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 27 May 2012

In January, my wife made reservations at the Atlantis Inn for 4 nights at $69.00 per night for May 17-20. When we arrived on the 17th, the manager informed us the owner would not honor the confirmed rates, due to a city function on that weekend. We protested, vigirously, but the manager (Mel) basically said pay extra or find another hotel. After additional protest, he said the owner agreed to "split the cost". Due to the late hour and lack of alternatives, we paid an extra $100.00. The next day we reported the "bait and switch" to City Hall. One of the ladies there gave me the name of a contact in the Chamber of Commerce and suggested we check rates of a condo building nearby. We found the condo acceptable and immediately checked out of the Atlantis Inn. We paid for one night's stay and received a credit for the difference. After we checked out an left the premises, apparently another night's stay was charged to my account. I discovered this additional charge when I returned home. The additional charge was not authorized or known to me until I checked my credit card account. So here is the moral of the story: 1) Atlantis Inn Management plays "bait and switch" on the rates. 2) Atlantis Inn Management will charge your credit card without your knowledge. 3) The rooms are not in the shape as depicted in the advertisements. They are well worn. 4) Don't trust Atlantis Inn Management - they are not looking out for your interests.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Mark F

Travellers are raving about these Tybee Island hotels

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My fiance and I decided to go to Tybee for a long weekend and found The Atlantis Inn on the web, we thought the rainforest room looked like fun, we booked it and paid a one night's deposit. Fast forward six weeks when we check in at the front desk the nice gentleman at the counter takes our debit card and charges us for the full four night stay, once we catch it and bring to his attention that we had already paid for one night and that he owed us the deposit back, he tried to overturn the charge, then he tried to charge us for the correct amount, but since we have a $1000 /per day limit, the card was declined.. he said not to worry and come back in the morning. We came back the next morning only to find out that the lady at the front desk had already charged our card AGAIN for the correct amount (HOWEVER, they still had not overturned the incorrect amount).. at this point they had charged our card $1200!!!!!!! When we brought this to her attention she said they had overturned the old amount and that she was CERTAIN it was back in our account.. We had her call our bank and they indicated to her that both amounts were still on hold. NOW i know this will be resolved and that it can take 5-7 business days for a hold to come off... BUT COME ON, had we been on a tighter budget they could have really messed up our vacation. My main issue is the cavalier attitude of the front desk lady, she casually apologized and told us if we needed money to take it up with the evening desk guy that made the mistake in the first place... REALLY? I would have also appreciated her contacting us PRIOR to charging our card the second time. NOT the best customer service and they could certainly benefit from a training course on how to use the credit card machine.

Now with all of that being said, we had a great vacation and the room was decent, but probably not worth the $170 per night charge. The place is a little worn down and the room wasn't exactly how they advertised it on their website. Not the same layout, bed, waterfall, etc. Walk to the beach was close (only 2 blocks) and the restaurants on Tybee are fantastic. Also, there was not enough parking for the rooms, we had to park on the street two of the four nights. We might give the Atlantis one more shot but will probably try someplace else out first.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Katie C
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This place booked 8 rooms for a wedding party and took deposits. A few weeks later, they began calling everyone to say the rate had gone up. They said contracts are made to be broken. Don't trust them.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Beach House, A Holiday Inn Resort
Hotel Tybee
Hotel Tybee
#2 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Atlantis Inn? Share your experiences!