“Wild Adventures IS WORTH visiting!!!”

Wild Adventures Theme Park
Ranked #1 of 27 things to do in Valdosta
More attraction details
Owner description: Theme park. Water park. Animal park. Wild Adventures has it all for less. Journey to a place where animals rule, water flows and animals play. Located in Southern Georgia, Wild Adventures is a convenient day trip from Alabama, Florida and Georgia or a welcome stop from your family road trip on I-75. With many lodging options just minutes away, Wild Adventures is perfect for a family getaway.
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wild Adventures IS WORTH visiting!!!”
Reviewed 23 March 2009

OVERVIEW:

I can't believe that I almost didn't go to this great park after reading an earlier negative review. Sure, this park seems old-fashioned (wooden signs, old paint), but that doesn't automatically make it a waste of money. I didn't spend my $45 hoping for perfect paint jobs on fiberglass statues-- I spent that money hoping for a fun, engaging experience that lasted the entire day. Which is exactly what I got. Despite my extensive experience with amusement parks, I actually encountered many amazing, unique things for the first time (more details about those further below). You just have to START RIDING stuff and start LOOKING at stuff. Amusement parks are for EXPLORING. If you take one look at a simple entrance, decide it doesn't look like Disney, and just give up right then, that's not the park's fault, lol. Plus, I have already visited almost every other park within driving distance. If I saved my money instead of going here, what ELSE am I going to spend it on? Movies? Um, no thank you, lol.

I might have been lucky to go the SECOND weekend it was open, instead of the first, when they might have been less prepared. Because almost everything seemed to be operational today. Including the big steel-structured wooden roller coaster "Cheetah".

All the employees (except one who just might have been tired) were very friendly. They even went out of their way to explain stuff, and in general be nice.

I didn't eat in the park (I hardly ever do), but the food places looked good. I *almost* got a pulled pork sandwich platter in the Wild West area, but I'd rather save my money for other experiences, but that's just me.

Sunday March 22, 2009, was a very SLOW day...the park was empty for most of the day. Only 20 people were in the park immediately after opening time at 10am. No lines at all throughout the day.

The park as a whole is very relaxed, green, and sprawling. Some parts resemble Silver Springs where they go into woods and swamp with animal exhibits. Other parts resemble a spread-out fair or carnival, or beach boardwalk where the lake is. The park might not LOOK like much, but the actual EXPERIENCES are very engaging, as I said. I'll give summaries of the rides, animals, and shows, with more details about my favorites.

RIDES:

There are a ton of rides, most of them very small, scattered all over the place, but there are several major ones as well. My favorites were as follows:

The RATTLER is a spinning, pendulum-style flat ride with the seats facing outward with nothing in front of you and your feet dangling, so that the force pushes your chest against the restraints, giving you the insecure feeling that you might fly out. And the view is priceless...nothing but blue sky and the greenery seems upside-down even though there is actually no inversion.

Ok, so the Rattler is actually the only ride that I liked 100%. The others were either of a type way too familiar to me, or it was a bit rough. The CHEETAH is a very pretty, photogenic wood-tracked, steel-supported roller coaster, that was really very enjoyable but a tiny too rough for me in some spots. There is a Vekoma suspended-looping roller coaster and a Boomerang coaster, both of which were some of the roughest I've ridden. I also rode their safari train ride, roller skater coaster, wild mouse, suspended non-looping coaster, Pharoah's Fury swinging ship, slide, ferris wheel, "kangaroo" type ride named "Fly Swatter", flying ride, "music-express" style ride called Swingin' Safari, a weirdly short freefall ride, and a little steel coaster called "Gold Rush". There actually was also a very tall skycoaster...very cheap too, at $15 for a single-person flight (skycoaster flights CAN get as high as $40, and that's a 4-year-old quote!). Other rides, which I did not go on, included a river rapids ride, carousel, bumper cars, pony ride, tilt-a-whirl, kite flyer, log flumes, and numerous spinning and kiddie rides.

ANIMALS AND SHOWS:

The shows, contrary to a previous review, were actually NEVER scheduled at the same time. In fact, these were the actual showtimes for all shows on March 22: 11:30, 12:30, 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 3:30, 4:30, 5:00, 5:30.

IMAGINE was the only musical performance-based show, which took place inside a stylish, enclosed theater. It was a cute show with singing, dancing, costumes, and some live animals.

NORTH AMERICAN PREDATORS was a demonstration performance by beautiful timber wolves, Florida panthers, and black bears and their trainer. AMAZING CATS is a different show that took place on the same stage area, and featured Siberian and Bengal tigers. Today, the tigers were "in season" and were a bit frisky. And, two of the males kept on getting into fights, roaring and slapping each other, which was quite exciting to see.

CREATURE FEATURE was also a demonstration-style wildlife show featuring a cute little fennic fox, adorable kinkajou, snakes, and 3 different sizes of alligator. A highlight of the day for me was the opportunity to actually hold the one-year-old baby alligator after the show. I've held snakes before, but never an alligator!

There is a "show" called PIGEON RELEASE. Of course, it's more of an event. But it's not as silly as it sounds. These are homing pigeons, and it's more of a demonstration, and the keeper actually lets park guests hold the pigeons and throw them in the air to watch them take off.

This park is BIG on animal INTERACTIONS, which seem to really make a lasting impression on guests' experience, at least for me. Another example is their "Lory Landing", which is similar to the one at Busch Gardens, except these Lories actually will land on you even if you DON'T HAVE any nectar, even at the end of the day when they theoretically shouldn't be hungry anymore! These lories were climbing all over me, licking everywhere, especially my shiny watch. Speaking of which, the goats in their petting zoo did the same thing. This petting zoo also had an adorable baby black-and-white cow, as well as bunnies and a dozen tiny baby yellow fuzzy ducks that you could pick up. At one point the baby cow went over to the duck pen and tried to lick them, which sent them running away. That was priceless.

The safari TRAIN ride gives a view of more animals, and roller coasters as well. This is actually also the first time I've seen a WILDEBEEST in person. And speaking of firsts, it was also the first time I've seen a live SERVAL or a GENET (both BEAUTIFUL carnivores), bear-cat, or oryx. The cavies, bobcats, lions, tigers, elephants, monkeys, giraffes, antelopes, porcupine, reptiles, birds, etc, were also cool.

SO, all-in-all, I say this park is DEFINITELY worth at least one visit. I think one was enough for me personally (we'll see this coming Saturday though...I still have the "second-day-free" option till then). I give Wild Adventures 4 stars, because it DID keep me completely engaged and excited for the entire 8-hour day. However, for me, there wasn't any particular part of it that was "addicting"-- nothing that would make me come running back the next chance I get. Especially since I got to do EVERYTHING I wanted by 5:30pm, since crowds were so light. There IS a LOT do to, however-- it literally did take me until 5:30pm to do everything, and I am a fast-moving lone 24-year-old.

6 Thank ferres

Savannah
“Opening day? They should have been more prepared...”
Reviewed 19 March 2009

If you have a chance to go, just pass.
We went on March 14, which was their opening day after being closed through the winter season. I guess they didn't spend that time to fix rides and clean. When we got there, the ladies had to use the restrooms. There was not a square of toilet paper in that restroom. (What was gross, is that you then knew that every woman coming out of there didn't wipe... gross.) So we waited til we got inside and found a restroom with paper. My friends went on the boat ride and then we went across to a bug themed roller coaster type ride. We got kicked out of that line due to technical difficulties. Ok, so we started to head towards the bigger roller coasters. We passed lions and tigers and giraffes. We went on the Boomerang, very rough coaster. We went on the Cheetah, which is their wooden roller coaster. Got stuck on that at the end for about 10 minutes, due to technical difficulties. We then paid $3 for a soda. Got in line to ride the "Jungle Safari" which is a little red train that takes you around the animal compound. Got kicked out of that line due to "animal issues." We didn't get any further details on that. Then we tried to ride the Hangman coaster, but couldn't get in line for that, they were cleaning up "bodily fluids." I acknowledge the park can't control that, but after coaster, you want to puke. We did the bumper cars, but they were filthy. They were covered in dust and pollen oh and my car stopped working midway through. We ate dinner at the BBQ place there. I first asked for chicken tenders. They were out. I then settled for the 1/2 chicken meal. With the meal they give beans, coleslaw, biscuit, and fries. But they were out of coleslaw and biscuits and didn't want to give me a discount on it. The kid working the soda machine left nearly 2 inches of space in the cup and rolled his eyes and sighed heavily when my husband asked him to top it off. After that, my husband and his friend went back to the vehicle while the girls saw Keith Urban. He was the only reason why we were there, and he was worth the price of admission.

MrsFH
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Christmas event for the Family!”
Reviewed 9 December 2008

I took the family to Wild Adventures this past weekend for the Festival of Lights. This is a great event for us in South Georgia. We got to see tons and tons of lights throughout the park as well as some shows that our children liked. The music show with singing and dancing was very professional and something I did not expect. THe Living Nativity was the best I have ever seen and was moving!

The new owner of hte park has done a great job is creating a true theme park with lots of entertainment and focusing on quality rides. I know there have been changes and some things have been taken away, but what it has become now is more than it ever could have been with teh past owner!

1 Thank MrsFH
Leesburg,GA
“Don't waste your money”
Reviewed 24 October 2008

We have been season passholders for Wild Adventures for the last several years, and were frequent visitors to the park as we live about 1-1/2 hours away.

During the winter of 2007-2008, Wild Adventures was purchased from the previous owners and is now under new ownership. We purchased our season passes in early 2008 (Gold passes), and attended the park for the first time in 2008. The new owners have pretty much ruined the park.

In previous years, we have greatly enjoyed going to the park. However, when the new ownership bought the park, they took out several GREAT attractions and replaced them with nothing. As an example, our family used to love the "Shenani-guns" Wild West Show. It was easily the best show at the park; very amusing and entertaining. For those of you who have never visited Wild Adventures and thus have never seen the Wild West Show, I am sorry for you because you will never see it, as the new owners have taken the show away and boarded up the outdoor stage with a privacy fence. This is only one of several examples.

We have purchased our season passes for 2008; there is nothing to be done about that now. However, we will no longer be wasting our money on this park. It is simply not fun anymore.

If you are considering visiting Wild Adventures, I would strongly recommend that you either save your money or attend another theme park.

GA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“OK if you have lower expectations”
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I planned a mini-vacation for my family (hubby and 9 yo daughter) mainly for the "Phobia" attraction and for the fact WA was only 1.5 hours from home. We visited the park on Saturday from 11 until 3 pm and then again for Phobia from 8-10. Phobia was too intense for my daughter but seemed very well staged. Most patrons seemed to be having a good time, plenty of scares, many different "spook houses," and lines not any longer than expected. We left the spooks and decided to ride more rides. Unfortunately, very few rides are illuminated at night which, in my opinion, takes away from the experience. Since we'd been earlier in the day and had a good time, we left for our hotel room (La Quinta!! Great hotel and $72 Priceline!! AWESOME FREE breakfast!) We spent another 3 hours at the park the following day (2nd day free) and had a good time.

The park is NOT Disney or anything remotely close, so know that going in. The staff was friendly and the rides that were operable were fun. However, the park is rundown. The landscaping is minimal as are the extra frills like shows and music. The "Cheetah" was down, and we were told it's down more often than it's up and running. Also, the "Hang-man" wasn't operating the weekend of our trip and although we were told "it was running yesterday," by the looks of its maintenance, I'd have been nervous to get on. There were approximately 10-15 rides which weren't operating, including all water rides and Splash Island. We knew it was closed due to "seasonal," but there was no excuse for not posting the other closures, regardless of reason, on the website.

We had fun, mainly because we were together as a family and try to make the best out of each situation. I do feel misled however and would have appreciated a "heads-up" on the park's ride closures as that only seems honest. I don't know why this park is in such disarray; perhaps the poor economy is to blame, but we will not go back and warn others to keep expectaions low.