“Good in a pinch”

Howard Johnson Valdosta
Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Valdosta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Valdosta
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Seeing the hotel from the street makes one wonder if the right decision was made. Look past this and enjoy the accommodations. The room is nothing special but it was VERY clean and smelled great. No breakfast but right next door to a Burger King. Will stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

David B, General Manager at Howard Johnson Valdosta, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you so much. We try to provide clean rooms each and every time. I am pleased that we succeeded with your stay. Thanks again and see you next trip.
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The map said this location was closed, but it is not. I can only assume it was closed recently due to renovations. The bathroom was very clearly updated and looked nice. I rolled in after 1am and was met by a friendly desk clerk. Our room had no bad odor (no odor at all) and was very clean. We paid a great price for the night's stay. The motel's location is seedy, but we had no issues.

Room Tip: Perhaps all rooms are not yet renovated. Ask for an updated room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. I will pass them along to the staff. It was a pleasure having you as our guest. Hope to see you again!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We were looking for a place to crash for a few hours on our way down to Orlando. We had stop in a previous city that was booked solid due to events in the area so we headed further south and stopped at a Super 8 - they only had a smoking room but they recommended their "sister" hotel, the Howard Johnson in Valdosta stating that it "was very clean and would meet our needs." It was very inexpensive and we didn't expect 5 star, but this was ridiculous!

Check in was quick and easy (guess when you have over 50 rooms open on a Friday night) and we got a room with two double beds. The first thing we were greeted with was the horrendous odor, which seem to come primarily from the bathroom....smelled like backed up sewage. NO JOKE...my husband walked across the parking lot to the gas station/convenience store and purchased one of the smelly pine car odor items and hung it from the bathroom rod to help mask the smell.

They still have beds with the nasty, old (and ugly but that doesn't matter) and stained bed spreads. The sheets had some stains and burn holes as well. My girls and I slept on throw blankets of our own that we placed on top of the sheets and used our own pillows.

Dust galore...so warning if you have allergies...my daughter (10, who loves watching Hotel Impossible) went to touch the top of the paintings and they were caked in dust and one of the paintings had a huge crack down the center as well. My husband moved the TV as well - tons of dust and some odd red stains underneath.

Sign on the back of the door says "Days Inn" but seems to me we were at a Howard Johnson's! (Minor detail but something that doesn't take much effort).

To avoid the smell for a while I wanted to sit outside but there were no chairs available so I took the stained chair from the room outside to sit and read and have a drink.

Pool area did look nice but the HJ store front area was a joke! According to my husband and kids, who visited the area on Saturday morning, HJ's convenience store it looked like a complete dump and looked as if someone puked in one of the areas on the floor and it was never cleaned up. They had signs hung up warning people "if you break it, you buy it..." etc. but some of the words were misspelled...funny more then anything but again the lack of cleanliness, not so funny.

In the end, my husband kept saying, "you get what you pay for." NO, NO, and NO...I have done many road trips and paid less for rooms - from mom and pop motels to chain motels/hotels, the room were basic BUT CLEAN!

This review could have been different if a little effort was put into the room, but after watching maid service for a while the next morning, I'm not surprised....a lot of standing around, smoking and on cell phones.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank rhundt67
David B, General Manager at Howard Johnson Valdosta, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
I am so sorry about your visit with us. This is very unusual to hear that our rooms were that bad. I would like to know what room and when you you stayed with us so that, I may address the issues. I would also inquire as to whether or not you let us know while you were here about your stay. The store is leased to a third party although it does share the lobby building with us. Please feel free to send me an email. Again, please accept my apologies and I hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your trust.
hojo22@williamshotelgroup.com
Loveland, Ohio
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Right off of I75 . Front desk friendly and rooms were clean. Good value for the price. Swimming pool looked good but I did not get in. Stopped for one night on way to Florida and was great for our needs.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your remarks. We do try to provide clean rooms. I am greatful that we met your needs. See you again real soon.