“Guango and San Isidro”
Review of Cabanas San Isidro

Cabanas San Isidro
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at both places in April 2013 and were delighted with our experience. Carmen organised a great birding guide, Andres Trujillo, who met us at Quito airport with driver Mauricio. We stayed overnight at Guango, a comfortable lodge with great views from an upstairs lounge. Rain hampered our walks to some extent but Andres was determined to show us the best birds. We are not expert birdos, but saw 43 species there, including a family of torrent ducks, Andean potoo, mountain toucan, 2 chat-tyrants, many tanagers and hummingbirds
Next day we drove to San Isidro to stay in a good cabin for 3 nights, enjoying the excellent food. Alejandro was a good host. Andres again showed us many birds, 72 species - highland motmot, crested and golden-headed quetzals, 4 woodpeckers, many tyrranulets, tanagers, hummingbirds and the famous San Isisdro owl.
On our last day, we were driven to Coca for our trip to Napo, Andres ensuring that we waited at the right jetty and pointing out the various water birds there.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bernrosie

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Our cabana was wonderful. It was very spacious with a porch overlooking the rain forest. The bathroom was large as was the shower. My sister-in-law stayed in a smaller cabana which also had a porch. It seemed to be closer to the bird activity. The advantage to this cabana was that it had hot water all day whereas we only had it in the morning and evening.

All of the staff are very nice. The manager, Alejandro, was super nice and provided interesting information. We met Carmen Bustamante, the owner, who was also very accomodating. We needed to change cabanas because of lack of information on our part and it was done quickly and with a smile.

The only thing to remember is that this is a rain forest. As Alejandro, in the dry season it rains everyday. In the wet season it rains all day everyday.

Room Tip: This s a wonderful place to bike.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2013

While TA has been advised that Guango and San Isidro are different places, they have not been responsive. They are about 1.5 away from each other by car, in different cities, at different elevations, with different bird life, and with very different levels of amenities. Travelers BEWARE

Hummingbirds at Guango are better than 5*! Incredible! It was overwhelming to see so many birds (and types!) as they fly from the feeders to the nearby trees. It's a birder's and photographer's dream. Video and cameras are welcome - but not high-speed multiple flash. You can linger and enjoy the shady paths and amazing hummingbirds. Once was just not enough for me... I traveled back and went again! This place is not yet well known - enjoy it now when you can have it almost to yourself like we did!

I have been to Guango Lodge which is a hummingbird paradise. Located in the eastern Andes slopes in the cloud forest, it's hard to find though it's right on Highway 28 between Quito and Baeza. It is a 10 minute drive east of Papallacta town on the down-slope side (accessible by regional public bus). All you will see is a simple sign saying Guango Lodge and the gate is often closed. However the side walk-in gate is open and you can follow the path to the building... enquire there for your $5USD day pass which includes a coffee or tea. The staff ignore you like they just don't care. However, you are not there for them - enjoy the hummingbirds.

An easy-access must for anyone visiting the nearby thermal hot springs at Papallacta. I have not stayed at Guango Lodge overnight - it might be basic accommodations.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank 2-4-T
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Five of the seven Europeans in our group suffered varying degrees of what appeared to be food poisoning that we suspect originated in the packed lunches provided by Guango Lodge. The first person to be afflicted suffered some severe vomiting about three hours after the lunch. Two others had diarrhea that night, whilst two more complained of queasiness over the next day. I was one of the diarrhea sufferers and it was the worst attack that I have ever had. By the way, I have traveled extensively, both in South America and in Asia and my stomac usually gives no problems. Although I stayed five more nights in Ecuador, in the end I had to cut short my vacation and return to Europe. On my return I found that I had lost weight, from 76kg to 72kg (the only positive aspect of the experience!).
Guango Lodge is a good place for birders, but the main highway does cut through the birding area, so you have to scuttle across the road on a blind bend. At night the noise from the very rare truck was almost overwhelmed by the noise of the racing stream near the bedrooms. I slept very snugly here and didn't need the offered water bottle. The cooked food was OK and the service friendly.
Cabanas San Isidro is a great place and I regret that I wasn't on good form to enjoy it more. Birding is sensational, particularly very early in the morning. Food is excellent and varied. Accomodation is a bit hit and miss: If you are sleeping near the general meeting house then you may have a small, dark room with wafer thin walls. In these rooms you will hear everything that your neighbour does; and I mean everything!! If you get one of the larger cabins, then you live in a large bright room, wooden walls, comfortable bed and perhaps even some nice views. If your cabin is near to the dining area, you may even get wifi in your room.
Tripadvisor should separate Guango Lodge and San Isidro as they are a long way apart and of a quite different standard. If you only have time for one of them, then San Isidro wins on every score.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank cliffordchambers
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We only stayed at San Isidro. The cabin we had (a duplex) was about the best we had while in Ecuador. Very roomy with our own deck. Lots of shelf space for luggage. Two comfy soft chairs and a coffee table plus two comfy beds. Meals were quite good. Trails were in good shape for the rainy season.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Nice double cabins with a delightfully lighted path to the dining room. Like most such places, the rooms are unavoidably musty, but after a day of hiking and birding, sleep is easy. The food is wonderful, full of interesting local ingredients deliciously prepared. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The perfect area for birders of all skill levels, with a wide variety of birds in a very small radius. Very eco-conscious. Bring a flashlight for getting around in the dark (12 hours a day).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Savtav
Reviewed 30 January 2013

San Isidro is always wonderful with very comfortable cabins, incredible Ecuadorean cuisine ( my favorite was the suspiros with candied tree tomato), friendly and helpful staff, excellent birding, good trails, and a great area for viewing and photographing hummingbirds..nice also for relaxing> Having internet available was a real plus( for me quite important, as my mother is 97 and i need to keep in touch with my family).Alejandro, the manager was fabulous. When i left, i forgot my I phone, and he made sure It arrived at the next lodge within two days!!!This was my second time at San Isidro, and I could return every year.

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank solobirder
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cosanga
Termas de Papallacta
Huasquila Amazon Lodge
Huasquila Amazon Lodge
#1 of 1 in Cotundo
Hakuna Matata Amazon Lodge

Been to Cabanas San Isidro? Share your experiences!