“A little worn but comfortable”

Promenade Hotel Tawau
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Tawau
Klang, Selangor
“A little worn but comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

The Promenade Tawau is certainly beginning to look its age. Stayed here for a night on business and these are some of the positives: -

- The staff were helpful and friendly, checking in and out was a breeze
- The room was spacious and clean although the furnishing is beginning to look dated. Still, very acceptable.
- The hotel is attached to a shopping mall but not a high end one, the mall looks rather dodgy for my liking!
- There is a nice lounge and a massage and spa centre in the hotel with very acceptable prices, if you're into that kind of thing.
- Nice rain shower in the bathroom

The negatives: -

- There is no acceptable eatery within walking distance. Don't bother looking for food in the mall, there is a limited number of food stalls in there and the food doesn't look all that appetizing.
- No complimentary wifi in the room, though I did pick up and open signal from somewhere nearby.
- Except for the rain shower which was nice, other parts of the bathroom looks old and the fixtures in there needs to be refurbished. Also, the plumbing could do with some fixing, even when I wasn't using the bathroom, you could hear water noises coming out from the bathroom
- Breakfast lacked variety and it wasn't spectacular, but edible.

Overall, this is still an Ok hotel to stay if you're in town for a short business trip.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank attw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed while in Tawau on business.
Plus points :-
Airconditioning is good
Mall attached to hotel makes it easy to procure needed items or to grab a quick meal
Bed is comfortable and sheets are clean.
Reception staff is polite and efficient in meeting your needs.

Negatives -
Carpet, bathroom and bath towels are a bit worn
Internet connection is spotty. It works but speed and connectivity depends on your luck. It's also cable internet, not wifi which means that you need a laptop (network cable and internet codes available on request from reception)
Electricity supply seems to cut out once in a while but I'm not sure if this is the fault of the hotel or Sabah Electric. I had the power cut out twice during my 1 night stay.
Bit far from town if you're hoping to roam around.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank dthk_msia
Klang, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

I think Promenade Hotel is the best hotel in Tawau but the location is a little bit away from the town centre. If you're looking for a nice, comfortable, clean and spacious room, then this is the hotel for you. However, you'll need transportation to visit the town centre or other attractions nearby. The front-desk staff are friendly, and always available to assist you.

Room Tip: Rooms facing West and South would have better and nicer view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Faisal_Yunus
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Reviewing for my wife who stayed for a week on business. Like they say, happy wife = happy life. And it was great knowing she's comfortable and safe especially since it's her first time in Tawau.

Room is clean and modern, staff very friendly and helpful, especially the front desk whenever she needed anything for her event and the dining staff as well who made sure she was well taken care of during breakfast and dinner.

Overall a very pleasant stay at Promenade. We'll make sure to stay here when we're in Tawau.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
West Sussex England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

This rather ugly hotel is located some way out of the centre, meaning that taxis are required if you want to visit the reputedly superb sea food stalls in town (but there is a rank at the hotel). Rooms are modern and comfortable, with good air-conditioning to ensure a good night's sleep. The dining room has a nice terrace for a pleasant warm dinner on a balmy evening, with good simple food. The buffet breakfast is a bit basic, though the egg station will provide a nice omelette. Coffee and juice is below standard. The staff are generally friendly, but clearly unused to Western tourists. We stayed in an executive room and instantly made our way to the executive lounge for the cocktail hour, only to find it was closed 'this year', as the grim receptionist informed us. The lobby bar had one or two bottles of spirits with just enough left to provide us with a couple of gins. They had run out of lemon, and didn't stock tonic, so we strolled into the shopping mall next door and bought some of our own, plus a tube of Pringles, and happily consumed them back at the hotel bar. Wifi was obtained only after a team of experts were summoned to assist us (although it took no effort at all next morning at breakfast). This is a nice hotel, primarily for locals, and offers a bit of fun if you want to get away from the tourist trail for a night. It's also on the right side of town for the airport.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank weltravelledofSussex
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Checked in after a nightmarish journey of 15 hours from Bangkok, had dinner, signed it to my room and then went to sleep at about 10 pm. At 1:00 am in the morning, a phone call, which when I picked up, no one said anything. Started to worry and then fell asleep. Then 10 minutes later, a knock on my door, followed by the doorbell. Scared me out of my own skin. As it turned out, it was a staff from the restaurant who told me I could not sign the dinner to my room, AND he had to collect the cash payment from me there and then. By then I could not fall sleep. Had to rise at 6:30 am to conduct training for the whole day for a client.

By lunch I decided that I should complain to the Manager in charge. This was one Mr Chai, the so called Resident Manager. When I asked for him at the front desk, the staff went into the back office, and then after 5 minutes, came back to say that he was 'out for lunch'. The staff might as well have told me "He told me to tell you that he is out for lunch." I told the staff I was very upset, and I wanted to speak to him, and left my number and requested that he contacted me. The coward never called back during my entire stay.

The sales person asked what I was upset about and I explained my unhappiness. Presumably, he went to inform the Resident Manager, because magically, by the end of lunch, the restaurant manager appeared and apologised profusely without taking responsibility, but instead blamed staff who had 'already been trained and told what to do'.

The staff are pleasant and helpful enough, but some of the managers here are most unprofessional and cannot be depended on to handle things. So stay away if you have important work to do.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank willtravelformoney

Travellers are raving about these Tawau hotels

Orebro, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

First time,my wife,my sister,her son and myself arrived at Promenade Hotel by the hotel´s bus from Tawau airport cost only RM10.00 per head and we booked a twin and a double bed-room,big and comfortable. Bathroom & toilet are very clean provided with slippers,comb,toothbrushes and etc. The buffet breakfast with noodles,porridge,nasi lemak,pastries and fresh fruits etc. The staff is wonderful and helpful and however this hotel is attached to a mall and cinera and there´s also a food-court on the LG floor if one wants to eat for lunch or dinner. On the whole,this is the best or presentable hotel which I can recommend in Tawau esp. when eating breakfast outside the balcony on 7th floor,the morning breeze and a bird´s eye view over Tawau is wonderful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tawau
My Inn Hotel
Hotel Emas
Hotel Emas
#6 of 12 in Tawau Division
Sipadan Mangrove Resort

Been to Promenade Hotel Tawau? Share your experiences!