“BRASSTOWN VALLEY RESORT & SPA = A WONDERFUL FAMILY VENUE TO VISIT, ENJOY, AND BUILD HAPPY MEMORIES FOR A LIFETIME!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Young Harris
Marietta, GA
Reviewed 21 July 2011

THIS REVIEW DESCRIBES AN INDIVIDUAL COTTAGE, DECOR, ACTIVITIES, AND SELECTED FIRSTHAND EXPERIENCES OF OUR FAMILY'S VISIT IN JULY OF 2011

Following more than a decade of family gatherings at the beach, we opted to plan this year's retreat in the mountains. Our choice was the beautiful Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa located in Young Harris, GA. Having seen only pictures, we really did not know what would await us. As each of our four families consisting of grandparents, parents & grandchildren (three generations) arrived, the reaction was the same. We had to pinch ourselves to believe our eyes! This venue simply took our breath away, as every aspect of our private cottage (The Hemlock) far exceeded everyone's expectations.

For a moment, imagine a blend of rustic & natural beauty, down-home comfort, genuine warmth, well-appointed furnishings, and all amenities we hoped would be in place--and you have a snapshot of The Hemlock. I am quite certain that this cottage was designed especially for our family group. With four individual spacious rooms & private baths surrounding a wonderful common area (our hub of indoor activity) with all rooms having entry, we loved every minute of grilling on the deck, enjoying the picturesque surroundings, just sitting & a-rocking on the wrap-around deck, and creatively collaborating in the kitchen area. While the warm weather did not lend itself to lighting the logs in the fireplace, it was still fun to relax in the comfortable chairs and sofa and envision the embers burning.

While our visit encompassed only two nights and three days, members of our eclectic group (age-wise) chose to swim, fish & hike, play golf & tennis, go horseback riding, venture beyond the resort grounds to watch a local rodeo show in a nearby North Carolina town, and/or just sit and rock while reading a favorite book with the majestic mountains in the background, we had lots of times to simply visit. Food, of course, was a central interest with grilling hamburgers as our kickoff meal. Throughout our visit, individuals chose both "cooking in" and the breakfast buffets--all delicious. Saturday night's dinner in the dining room (Prime Rib Buffet & all of the trimmings) was one of the highlights that we will long remember.

Before concluding my review, I want to share that the management of Brasstown verified how responsive they are when guests need assistance by correcting a small error in one of our billing calculations. Further, at all personnel levels (from the reservations desk to maintenance/cleaning staff to top management of the resort, including the dining room & staff), these individuals extend all courtesies and service to their guests in a most timely way. Don't hesitate to ask for their help, because no request is too small. Truly, Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa aims to please. And they do!

Last, I notice that just above the space for writing this review, there are the words: "We have zero tolerance for fake reviews!" Don't worry! This review is real, as I am the Grandmother of the 6 Grandchildren (ages 14 to 21), wife of the Grandfather, and Mother of three of my grandchildren's parents plus their spouses--adding up to the 14 family members (including me) who loved this resort . Got that? I am not sure I made these connections clear, but what I do hope is clear: BRASSTOWN VALLEY RESORT & SPA = A WONDERFUL FAMILY VENUE TO VISIT, ENJOY, AND BUILD HAPPY MEMORIES FOR A LIFETIME!

D. Robertson / Marietta, Georgia / July 2011

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank GAEducator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Cumming, GA
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Definitely will be back! Could not have a better staff! Beautiful location!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ldmiro
Georgia
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We stopped in to dine at the restaurant on a Friday night and decided to stay if a room was available. The Friday night seafood buffet and Saturday morning breakfast were excellent! We were on our way to TN and had lodging there - but loved our meal and the look of the resort. We dropped our bags and stayed on the property until 12 am. When we returned to our room we noticed a strong odor of what seemed to be vomit cleaned up with ammonia near one of the beds. It really disrupted our sleep. We would have changed rooms - but there were not anymore available and we were too tired to leave. We opened up the door and the window to clear the smell. It was just gross. I did let the staff know at the front desk - they reduced our charge by only 50 dollars - I felt that it should have been more. I cautiously recommend others to stay - BUT check your room out very well when you first arrive! Other - great hiking trail, beautiful property.

Room Tip: Check your room out immediately, excellent food
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
BrasstownStaff, Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 July 2011
Thank you for being our guest and for sharing your positive comments regarding your visit. I am glad that you enjoyed your overall visit to Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa. I wholeheartedly apologize for the challenge you had in your guest room regarding the pervasive smell of cleaning products. We do not employ the use of ammonia as a cleaning chemical but do occasionally need to treat stains of various kinds. I can assure you that the challenge in your guest room is not consistent with the average stay. I would very much like to reach you so that I may learn more about what you endured. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience at 706-379-9900 ext.4884. Your feedback is very important to us and helps us improve our level of service to you and all of our guests.

Thank you again for being our guest.

James E. Ayres II

Fax 706.379.9999
James.ayres@Brasstownvalley.com
Georgia
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I was amazed at the size of this resort! If you're active and love golf, tennis, horseback riding, jogging, and hiking, this is the place for you. It's also beautiful and the climate is cooler than other parts of the state, which is nice during the summer. If you enjoy relaxing by the pool, get there early. The pool is small with about 15 chairs total, and it's hard to get a seat. There is a tiny game room on the first floor, pool tables in the grill, and ping pong by the pool, so if it rains, there are still activities for the kids. There is also a little shop downstairs selling ice cream bars and candy for a sweet treat.

Every staff person that I encountered was friendly and extremely helpful. They all took the time to say hello and to ask if we were enjoying our stay. The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. The decor is country cabin "twig and log" furniture which is hard to dust, so even though the room was very clean, there was a layer of dust on these surfaces.

The overall stay was good, and I would recommend this resort, but I would recommend dining outside of the resort if you have time and transportation. I ate in both restaurants and ordered room service during my stay, and nothing I ordered was delicious. I didn't mention anything to the staff, because I didn't feel the problem could be remedied. The recipes just weren't tasty to me. I would still give the resort 4 stars, and I would return and also recommend it to others.

Room Tip: All views are great - beautiful place
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 June 2011

We stayed here recently, courtesy of a Groupon, and really fell in love with the place. The room we had was a little small, but clean and well appointed. The food was very good, we ate the breakfast buffet (try the omelets, they are wondeful!) I liked the fact that you can eat very healthy here, they have fruit and salad on the buffet. We ate our meals outside, overlooking the putting green, and the cunset was spectacular. We enjoyed the pool, and hubby said the sauna and steam were the best he's ever tried. We had a couples massage, and it was wonderful. There was so much to do, or you could do nothing at all. We cannot wait to get back here and next time, we'll book a larger room, with a balcony, and do the trail ride, as well as more spa services.

Room Tip: I think it would be nice to get a room overlookin.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Diane55138
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I was only here for one night. The staff was friendly and the location is beautiful. They put me, as a single woman, in a cottage the first night, which is a relatively long drive from the main lodge and secluded. I did not feel safe/comfortable in this cottage alone and requested to move to the main lodge. They did move me after a couple of hours. There are different size rooms in the main lodge, some with balconies, some with extra rooms. They seem to be assigned randomly even though one worker claimed that people pay more for certain rooms. Food in the downstairs restaurant was just OK. I did not eat in the upstairs restaurant. Room service did not bring my bagel and they had to bring it back. Clean rooms and very nice scenery.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 June 2011
Thank you for being our guest and for sharing your positive comments regarding our staff, housekeeping of our rooms and the resort's scenery. I have shared your concerns regarding the location of your room with my staff to ensure that we discuss these types of details with our guests while they are at the Front Desk in the future. I would appreciate the opportunity to personally apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and to have the opportunity to gather any specific recommendations you have to make your future experiences in our restaurant better than "OK". Please feel free to contact me at your convenience and once again thank you for being our guest.

Charles Burton
6321 US Hwy 76
Young Harris, GA 30582
Direct Line 706-379-4600
Fax 706-379-9999
Charles.Burton@Brasstownvalley.com
Coudersport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Brasstown Valley Resort and Spa was the location of a family member's wedding. What a beautiful background for the wedding! The views are awesome. The staff handled everything in a professional and friendly manner. The food was wonderful, the rooms were comfortable. And, even though the resort has no control over it -- the weather was perfect!! We enjoyed the Chef at the restaurant - so friendly and funny, the Pub, and golfing.

My favorite thing about the resort was that there were so many wonderful surprises to happen upon, such as a beautiful water fountain, a large fire pit, a swimming pool that starts as an indoor pool and ends outdoors, and beautiful flower gardens.

I would definitely recommend this resort to others.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Harrah's Cherokee Valley River Casino & Hotel
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Helen
Unicoi State Park & Lodge
Riverbend Motel & Cabins

Been to Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!