“Wonderful Two Days at Brasstown Valley Resort”

Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Young Harris
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Wonderful Two Days at Brasstown Valley Resort”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Husband and I spent an evening at Brasstown Valley Resort using a Travelzoo voucher. Room was nice and clean, lobby area with huge fireplace was cozy and inviting. Employee noticed the fire was dying down as as i was sitting there, and quiety added a huge log and stoked the fire...very nice. Staff very attentive and helpful (even though they were at capacity), complimentary breakfast was excellent with omelets made-to-order. Sauna, pool, outdoor firepit...everything was great!

Room Tip: pay the extra for a room with a balcony...we wanted to, but they were sold out.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review. I am happy to read that your experience was everything you wanted it to be. It is always good to read that our staff are providing the experience we strive everyday to achieve.

Charles Burton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Our stay at Brasstown Valley was everything that we expected and more! The scenery, staff, and facilities were good. We will definitely go back, probably with friends. We hiked 4 miles of their trails, I played some golf while she got a massage (see below), relaxed by the beautiful fireplace in the great room, enjoyed the pool and workout center, and had a cozy/relaxing weekend. We will be back soon :)

One tiny odd experience: We had breakfast vouchers for a free breakfast each morning. In order to process this voucher in their system the waitstaff charges you $00.01 a person, thats fine I get it. One morning our waitress (approximately 45 years old) gave us our check, total was the expected $00.02 for two people, and the gratuity line was filled out with $5.88. After pondering for two days I have come to the conclusion that our waitress assumed that we weren't going to leave a tip and filled in the 20% herself. Whether this assumption was based on past experiences or that we were "dumb kids" in our late 20's, we will probably never know. I do understand where the waitress is coming from, I was a waiter at a country club for 3 years in college and I too have been stiffed by members and/or coupons who weren't factoring in the service. It was worth mentioning because I have NEVER seen that in my life and I thought it was the oddest thing. It was a breakfast buffet and she just got us drinks, but what if I wanted to leave her a $10 tip instead of the $5.88 she filled in for us :)

My wife's spa experience at Equani Spa was unfortunately horrible. We found out that morning that she was pregnant, and the massage therapists treated her like a leper. We are aware of the legality of pregnancy and massages, but Equani lacked the flexibility in changing her service. They dropped the ball bigtime! Neck/Shoulder/Head massage is what she got, $126 for the only service they could offer at that point. My wife has received 2 dozen massages over the last 4years and this was her worst by far. In my opinion, Equani spa lacks the managerial expertise to jump away from the fine print, read a situation, and come up with a decent alternative (Rescheduling a Mani/Pedi for later in the day could have been an option, or canceling the appointment with NO penalty). My wife was stuck there in a awkward situation listening to the staff deliberate, instead of feeling absolutely ecstatic about this great news we just found out 3 hours before! Let me reiterate, (1)we understand the legality of the situation and (2)the massage was terrible (envision the masseuse as a blind person reading braille), but what we are frustrated about is that Equani Spa is unfortunately a bi-product of its geographical surroundings and needs improved customer service starting at the VERY top. Yes they are the only legit option for a Spa in Young Harris, GA, but that doesn't mean that they also have to be the worst.

Room Tip: Two options in the lodge, facing the beautiful mountains or facing the not-so-beautiful parking lot...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 March 2013
Thank you for choosing Brasstown Valley and I appreciate your positive feedback. We look forward to hosting you both and your friends in the near future.

I apologize for the confusion regarding the processing of your package vouchers and our failure to deliver the spa experience your wife expected.

In order to charge the service charge for breakfast which isn't included in the package you purchased, we have to open a guest check with a minimum amount which explains the $.01 charge. We automatically charge the service charge given that occasionally guests assume the tip is included in the package.

While I always appreciate the level of attention we provide every spa guest, I wish the focus would have been more on meeting your wife's expectations. I have shared your feedback with my team with a focus on improving our process for providing "expecting" women what is requested while not causing any medical challenges.

We have attempted to contact you and left a voice message in hopes of being able to personally apologize and regain your wife's confidence in our spa.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and please return often.

Griffin, Georgia
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We recently had a very relaxing weekend get-a-way at Brasstown Valley Resort and Spa. The lodge is incredible! The gorgeous rock fireplace in the middle of the room was so warm and so cozy! We went right after Christmas so all of the adorable decorations were up and there were exquisite Christmas trees decorated around every corner.
The meals at the resort were wonderful. Breakfast was the best! They have a breakfast bar full of multiple breakfast items. They have an omelet and waffle station with chef's preparing fresh made to order waffles and omelets. All of the food was great. My husband particularly enjoyed the all you can eat prime rib night.
We happened to have snow while we were at the resort which made for a picture perfect get a way.
We stayed in the cabins. They were very clean and very spacious! I loved the secluded woodsy feeling of being in the cabins. Each porch had rocking chairs and gorgeous views of the woods. This was nice especially since we opened the blinds and watched the snow fall. The only negative that I have about the resort is the paper thin walls in the cabins. When I say paper thin, I mean you can have an entire conversation with the couple in the adjoining room of the cabin. My best friend and her husband were in the room next to mine and my husbands. When we were ready to go out for dinner or to the spa all we had to do was stand next to the wall and talk through it. Needless to say in the evening we both kept our televisions up in our rooms.
I do not know about the rooms in the lodge and how thin the walls are there but the next time we visit we will try those rooms instead of the cabins.
Overall the resort was wonderful. I adored the charming gift shop! I found fabulous and unique items to purchase. We also thoroughly enjoyed the corn hole boards located outside. Although we were cold, we had a great time playing our favorite game!
I will be back!

Room Tip: Stay in the lodge. The walls in the cabin are paper thin.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Regarding the concern with being able to hear the guest next to you, we have begun a process that will drastically reduce the noise heard between rooms. Our goal is to complete this process in all of the cabins and specific lodge rooms over the next several months. We are committed to eliminating this inconvenience for our guests.

Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 14 March 2013

The Brasstown Resort lodge hotel is lovely. My family paid for the $30 upgrade per night to have a mountain view with balcony, and it was definitely worth it. We stayed Friday, Sat, and Sunday night - but found out the hard way that restaurants don't serve alcohol on Sundays. My seven year old and my husband loved the indoor pool, and spent hours there. At the pool there are changing areas and a sauna. It was chilly while we were there, so outdoor activities were limited but we enjoyed checkers by the big fireplace in the lobby and the buffet breakfasts are very nice.

We visited in early March, but the resort had supervised horseback riding available for newbie horse riders, and my seven-year old absolutely loved riding Dusty and Topper. Jerry, the awesome stable cowboy who supervised both of our horse rides, was friendly to parents and great with kids. Highly recommend. At only $20 a ride (lasting longer then the "official" 20 minutes) this is a real photo op and kid-pleaser.

Approximately 6 weeks before my visit, I called and requested information from the Brasstown Resort about a guided fishing trip. The staff was extremely helpful in recommending a local place for beginning fishers, and even though we ultimately did not choose to do the fishing expedition, I appreciated the time and energy the Brasstown staff took to help me.

The day trip to Helen GA was just so-so; it was cold out (about 40 degrees) and on a Saturday in early March there was not that much going on besides shopping. We enjoyed Charlemagne's Kingdom ( the train museum) and had lunch at a German restaurant, but for the most part there was not a lot to see or do in early March in Helen.

So.... the Spa. I have traveled all around the world and been to many different spas in many different US States and in foreign countries. Here's the deal - this place was downright hillbilly, and while I kinda don't care if a spa has local flavor, I do get hot and bothered when a spa charges city prices for country service. First off, no one is going to talk to you or help you get oriented once you arrive. When you check in, you can look into the mani/pedi area and see the weird setup. Instead of nice massage chairs and upscale footbaths for the pedicures, customers are treated to nothing but a booth and little tub of water. The spa salon down the street from my house has a better ambience.

You will be escorted to a little tiny women's locker room with uncomfortably close lockers and changing areas - but pay attention because the women's locker room door does not close. Anyone walking by in the hallway has a full view of women dressing and undressing in the locker room. I walked over and closed it, but the very next time a woman walked through the door, it defaulted to remaining propped open. Ugh.

After I got in my robe, I wandered into the hallway and had no idea where to go. A kindly massage therapist directed me to the waiting area, which is coed. I thought that was odd- typically men and women are separated in spas. During my appointment time, the place was crammed full of people and there was no where to sit and wait. From an aesthetic point of view, the available water and teas were plain and warehoused in plastic containers. I was really surprised that the water didn't have spa fruits or cucumbers/lemons in it. It was just plain tap water. Finally, a seat opened up but no one had greeted me or spoken to me yet. There were menus scattered about the place with wine and champagnes and food to order, but no one to take an order. The lounge chairs were not warming beds or massage spa chairs - they were just chairs. Many women were wrapped up in blankets, shivering. I noticed that the same blanket kept being used over and over again by different women. Blech. All in all, a strange experience.

My massage was neither comforting nor was it useful. Again, I question the city prices for hillbilly services. I paid $150 plus mandatory 20% gratuity for a 90 minute massage that was neither comforting or helpful to my sore back muscles. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rank my massage a 2.

So the bottom line is that I recommend Brasstown Resort, but highly suggest that you don't bother with the spa. Too expensive, and too unprofessional.

Room Tip: We liked the balcony upgrade, but disliked the spa. Be aware that typical restaurants in the area (s...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank andromedaeve
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your comments following your visit to Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa.

I always enjoy reading positive comments regarding our facility, activities and staff. I will personally thank Jerry for doing such a wonderful job during the horse riding.

I was disappointed and shocked to read that you did not enjoy our spa. I apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. We typically receive positive feedback regarding our spa facility and staff. It seems that you were expecting a completely different experience as it relates to the facility. I will share your comments and suggestions with my team to ensure that we communicate throughout the process, enhance the offerings and provide massages that exceed guests expectations.

I would welcome the opportunity to personally address your concerns.

phone 706-379-4600
email cburton@brasstownvalley.com
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Spent two nights at Brasstown Valley Resort. The breakfast buffet is very, very good! We ate the prime rib buffet on Saturday night also, and it was absolutely fantastic. Did a horseback ride and it was fun and easy - been some time since either Cindy or I had been on a horse, but no problem! The room was great. The toilet overflowed once, but maitenance came and fixed it, sanitized everything and put it all back the way it should be. The people who run the resort are very nice, also.

Room Tip: Our room did not have much of a view - best to be up high and on the back side of the resort!
1 Thank rhud12345
I want to personally thank you for taking the time to complete a review and your glowing comments. It is always great to read that our guests are having great experiences here. I will pass along your positive comments about our Prime Rib buffet to our culinary team. It is my pleasure to have you stay with us and I hope you continue to make us your destination of choice for many years to come!!

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Rooms comfortable and well-appointed. Activities somewhat limited to golf and spa (which may be main appeal for some). Restaurant is superb. Set in a beautiful location and built in a way to preserve ecosystem.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David R
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay! I am glad to read you had a great stay and look forward to being your destination of choice for years to come!! We do also offer guided trail rides at our Stables as well as guided hikes and other on site recreation activities. We can also set up some off site activities as well, depending on what you may be interested in doing. Please contact our Guest Services desk prior to your next stay and we will be delighted to assist you in scheduling activities.

Kennesaw
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

Fabulous getaway weekend with a little snow and the comforting fireplace in the lodge, it just doesn't get any better than that. We arrived on Friday evening and found the outdoor hot tub- Hot & working! Great! so many resorts or hotels only have them lukewarm or not in working order. Service was excellent throughout our weekend stay. The spa was a fabulous retreat and food and the restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Morristravels12
Thank you for choosing Brasstown Valley during your recent weekend getaway. I appreciate your positive feedback regarding our facility. It is our mission to provide "magic moments" for our guests which we work hard to deliver each and everyday. We welcome to opportunity to be your resort of choice for many years to come.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Young Harris
Unicoi State Park & Lodge
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 3 in Blairsville

Been to Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!