“Finger Steaks!”

Sockeye Grill and Brewery
Ranked #99 of 817 Restaurants in Boise
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Cuisines: American
Description: Sockeye Brewing's 19-year history is an inspired one. We are both inspired to uphold the quality of the original brews, and inspired to innovate and push new boundaries with our newer brews and small-batch concoctions. What started as a river guide's small-batch brewing effort evolved into a larger capacity, hand-crafted brewery with two full service Pub and Grills. Sockeye Brewing also has a canning operation and distributes fine handcrafted beers throughout the states of Idaho, Utah and Eastern Washington. At the new West Boise location, on Fairview near Cloverdale Rd, a pub and grill is now open, where Sockeye fans can enjoy a fresh brew on tap. Creative food and 16 styles of craft beers including barrel aged, nitro and cask conditioned styles, are served in a Northwest-style lodge environment. Tastings and tours are available upon request. This location houses a 20bble brewing system, and is home to our canning and packaging operation. Our original west Boise location, at Cole near Ustick, continues to offer Sockeye brews, delicious pub fair, and live music-all in the friendly atmosphere locals have come to enjoy for years. This is also where we continue to brew our small-batch brews with our seven-barrel system. Both locations are Boise originals, serving some of the finest award winning beers in the Northwest region in a casual, family friendly environment.
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Pros:
The beer is excellent!
The food is consistently good: their Hell Diver Finger Steaks are the best in town, the burger's are huge messy and amazing, the Fire Boneless Wings are wonderfully spicy, & the recently added brunch menu is great (get the Power House French Toast, seriously).
The bar area & patio are both large and very comfortable.
It's local, which goes a very very long way with me.
They regularly have live music.

Cons:
The service can be super hit or miss: the same server can be rude one night and awesome the next, and it can be really slow on a busy night.
You are never greeted at the door by staff or signage, which has left many people standing in the entrance awkwardly wondering what to do, it's not a problem for me since I'm there often, but you can see the look of confusion on the faces of newcomers. Not good.
The "main dinning area" is awkwardly arranged. I know they are housed in a building that has been remodeled multiple times, but the dinning area feels really remote and cut off from the rest of the establishment, so much so that you end up feeling forgotten.
They regularly have live music. (yup it's both a pro & a con, I like it, The Mister hates it)

Overall:
Go when you want great beer, good food, & have a few hours to enjoy it, avoid the main dinning area & don't expect the servers to be your "bestest buddy" and you'll have a really nice evening.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We reserved the backroom for a family group of twenty. We pre-ordered our meals from the on-line menu to facilitate serving the large group, and the service was excellent.

There was a great variety of appetizers and meal choices, and the micro brew selection was also excellent. We ordered a pound of onion rings that we shared with many in our group, and they were done to perfection.

The service was cordial and efficient, and it is a great place for a family to gather and enjoy a meal.

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

The beer here is so superior! Love it.

I only left off a star here because it had been a while since I had eaten here and I ordered the Lemon Pepper Salmon Wrap (soooo amazing last time I had it) and it was so over seasoned it cut the roof of my mouth.

I will still give it another try because I love the beer!

Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a late lunch there two days ago. Both meals were excellent as was the service. The Sockeye has a nice upscale (for Boise) neighborhood feel. We each had a craft beer the was a perfect compliment to our meals. I recommend without reservation!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

They have great beer and the staff seem very knowledgeable on the differing styles and offerings, which is good when you ask for a style but are not familiar with one they are offering. The service was great! We stopped for a beer and appetizer, the 1 lb of onion rings looked very appealing when they arrived at our table. They were lightly battered and cooked in hot oil so there was no sogginess going on, at all. The only draw back was they picked up some other fried food flavors from the oil, which in my mind means the oil was dirty or over used. The location is out of the way, in a part of town that is not near a lot, so we usually stop when we are passing by from one place to another. It is not a destination location such as downtown or on the river, etc. We will go again when in the area.

1  Thank Pamela P

Been to Sockeye Grill and Brewery? Share your experiences!