“Good Downtown Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Caifornia
“Good Downtown Stay”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Helpful workers, clean room, comfortable, and a good location downtown. The only two drawbacks were the lighting in our room, where the lights were very dim when first turned on and brightened only as time passed, and the lack of a decent breakfast restaurant. We solved the breakfast issue by eating out side of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Hotel 43 was the perfect choice for our wedding night. We decided on the premium capitol room with a king size bed and 12' ceilings. Our modern room had beautiful views of the Boise lights from our window and we found the room to be quiet and the bed quite comfortable. In the morning, we were able to walk to our favorite breakfast spot.

It is a higher price point, but comparable to other hotels of this caliber in the area. I was pleased with the cleanliness and the staff was professional and very helpful. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: The premium capitol room offers higher ceilings which really opens up the room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Firstly, I have to say every member of staff at the hotel we encountered was wonderful. Can't fault attitudes and service. We booked an anniversary break in one of the suites. First disappointment was no lunch service. We could have checked ahead and found that Chandlers didn't do that so 'our bad' - Downtown Boise/BoDo was nearby and we wandered out to get a very pleasant lunch somewhere else. The suite itself was - clean, spacious, and to be frank somewhere between three and four stars. Nothing special, nothing outstanding and really a little overpriced for what we got. Again, our choice, we went for a suite but it seemed very overpriced for the hotel facilities and room amenities. There was a wonderful display of books on the bookshelves. After dinner nearby we came back to the hotel area and decided to have drinks in Chandlers. I'm reviewing Hotel 43 not Chandlers but Hotel 43 has few facilities - if I reviewed it purely on the basis of its 'Metro Cafe' - which served perfectly acceptable Starbucks coffee and snacks - I really would have to insist on 3 stars not 3-4 stars so I do feel they ride on the Chandlers wave and it's OK to rate that as part of the package. Drinks in Chandlers was a mixed experience - again high end pricing, but low end delivery - cocktails not well mixed, although in their favour they did not charge for a badly mixed Pimms. I know, it sounds like a problem to have - no lunch, badly mixed cocktails, average suite - still, these were high end prices. I wouldn't divert visitors, just caution those who might be looking for a 'luxury' experience that they should perhaps look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't go for the high end suites.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DebLynch2014
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel 43 is situated just feet away from all things downtown Boise. Rooms are modern, well appointed and very comfortable. Chandler's Steak house is just off the lobby. I'm not a fan, but it is a popular Boise dining establishment. If your business or pleasure is downtown Boise, I'd recommend the Hotel 43 without a doubt.

Room Tip: I've stayed here twice and both rooms were the same.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our daughter was recently admitted to the University in Boise and as such we have become frequent visitors to the town. We thought we would give Hotel 43 a try as we like boutique properties where you usually have a little more upscale amenities and a more gentrified experience. What we found however was a hotel being run by college students - very nice and very friendly, but still and all just college students who did not seem to understand the nuances of what a boutique hotel is supposed to be providing. As an example, when we booked the hotel we were not told that the cafe was under renovation and would not be available for usage during our stay or that the noise of said construction may be heard inside the hotel. Both were items we had a right to know about ahead of time and both caused us great inconvenience. Neither of which were offset on the charge of the room. Added to the that, the architecture of the hotel is such that it is built directly off of Chandler's Steak House Restaurant with a lobby that has an entrance to the restaurant in addition to an open air design that goes up the middle of all guest floors with the elevator running along side it. What that means is that if your guest room is anywhere in the 4-6 rooms near the elevator and open air areas on any of the floors you hear the sounds of the elevators chiming and the people in the lobby going in and out of the restaurant and hotel until very late at night or in the case of the elevators themselves, all night long. The room itself adequate but certainly not anything special. No turn down service and not even a soap dish on the sink in the very small bathroom. Where is one supposed to put a wet bar of soap?? We actually had to ask for an additional bar of soap as only one very small bar was afforded us. When we returned home from our trip I emailed the hotel to cancel the reservations I had made in advance for August and October. I took the time to let them know the reasons why I was canceling, thinking that if it was my hotel I would want to know so that I could make changes where possible to create a more satisfying stay and happy customer. I received a response that must have been written on an iPhone - so many misspellings and words repeated that it was laughable to say nothing of beyond unprofessional. I have no idea who actually owns this hotel but whoever it is I would strongly suggest they take a much more active role in the day to day operations. We will be staying at The Grove from now on.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms anywhere near the elevator or open air area that goes up from the lobby.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Nanoose Bay, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Staff was friendly and quick to please--
Hotel was close to the Basque area; easily walkable to restaurants and bars. Overall, a great location
Not quite what we would deem a boutique hotel but could easily develop into once all the construction has ended. Despite the construction, the room was quiet.o
Room was spacious, clean and had a decent view.
The valet service was excellent--directions to the highway and for gas upon departure were spot on.

Luggage service to & from the room would have been nice.

Perfect that it connected to a restaurant/bar as well ( good martinis ! ).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Hygiene - Appalling. Any hotel that allows breeding fungus in the creamer jug, needs a visit from The Occupational Safety and Health Administration. See attached image of the disgusting culture growing in the creamer jug.

Staff - While I was happy to narrowly escape a visit to the ER with poisoning, the way the General Manager Lisa Benjamin handled the customer complaint showed complete ineptitude for someone holding that position. All I got from her were excuses and a list of all the things she COULDN'T do for me.

Kitchen - Room service breakfast was the poorest example of breakfast I think I have ever been served. Seeing is believing but I still can't fathom any kitchen allowing this disgraceful quality of food service.

It's a real shame. This hotel was is well situated right in the heart of the downtown area and very close to great facilities. The other staff were very courteous and professional. And the rooms were very well appointed.

Just sad that the leadership and kitchen really lets down the rest of team and the customer experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business