“Great location, service, restaurant; good room, price.”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
Ranked #8 of 58 Hotels in Boise
Reviewed 16 February 2008

Excellent downtown location, frequent airport shuttles, very helpful desk and bellmen, and very comfortable, clean room with all the amenities: wi-fi ($10), luxurious bedding, good size, recently remodeled bathroom: this was an excellent business hotel, at a great price (corporate rates range from $99-129/night.) All meals at restaurant were gourmet quality, and the hours were long.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank lroden

Reviewed 21 August 2007

Our room at the Grove was small, I thought too small for 7 days, so we upped to a suite. We were there for a wedding and with all the boys and tuxes and family, it was a good idea. Both rooms were clean, had real glasses!, nice linens, were spotless. The check-in people were always helpful and the front door staff (cars, info people) etc. were always cheerful and friendly, knowing us by name by day 3! We did not eat at Emilio's hearing that the locals don't go there as service is too slow, but we did find several restaurants right outside the door, all serving great food. All in all, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 15 August 2007

A questionable place to stay if you are female. I felt so threatened that I checked out during my second night there. Three loud, aggressive, foul-mouthed football players checked into the room next door, where they whooped, stomped and shouted profanities. As they wandered in and out of the room and down the hall, they yelled obscenities and banged on walls. After complaining to the front desk, I watched out the peephole as one of the men approached my door and punched it hard, laughing, and I wondered how I was going to get safely out of the hotel. After calling the front desk again, a manager or security person came by, and told the men that "you're freaking out the woman next door, she's been calling all night, and she's scared to death". Very, very stupid thing to say to 3 thugs. I checked out immediately after, despite the manager's offer to move me upstairs, and received a refund from Orbitz.

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank MissLucyCalgary
Reviewed 20 June 2007

This should not be a 3 or 4 star hotel. While it looks nice on the outside, and while the lobby gives the appearance of being a nice hotel, looks can be (and are in this case) deceiving.

You park underground and take a painfully long elevator up into the lobby. Even an employee in the elevator complained to me how slow it was - and how it makes her job so much less fun...how it's been broken for months, etc.

So I get to the front desk, and two employees are talking...and finally decide to stop talking to help me. They don't really say anything - just give me keys and point me to the elevator. When I checked in, the bed was not made, there was a towel on the floor, and someone's trash on the table. And it smelled like smoke. So I walked back downstairs to let them know.

They didn't apologize or anything - he simply said "what room did you get" and I told him, and he gave me keys to a room on the next floor up. So I walked with my luggage back to the elevator and up...

The room was okay. The carpet was dirty, the lighting was poor. This room also had a slight odor, yet not smokey like the prior room. The room might have been nice at some point, but it's run down. The air conditioner is noisy.

On the plus side - the bed and pillows were comfortable, and the TV was a large plasma. The water pressure in the shower was quite good, too. The location can't be beat.

But there's a sign in the bathroom that says "Going for a swim or a workout? Take a towel with you and return it to your room when you're done". They don't even offer pool towels - and who wants to bring back a chlorine towel back to the room?

The hotel was just "okay". I give it 2 stars. I'd try one of the smaller boutique hotels in downtown next time.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank sdnewman21
Reviewed 16 March 2007

PROS:

1) Nice lobby
2) Good food
3) Good conference facilities
4) Great valet
5) Nice lobby bar
6) Excellent location

CONS:

1) NO HIGH SPEED INTERNET, only wireless
2) Tired beds
3) Dirty Carpet
4) Room service took an hour to deliver breakfast, said it would be 15 min
5) Not the friendliest front desk staff
6) 20" TV from 1985

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank lucycan
Reviewed 26 February 2007

I was only going to be in Boise overnight, so I wanted a decent room, one which I might frequent on subsequent stays...I went online and did a search for Hotels in the Boise Area and was greeted with a host of budget hotels that I am sure were ok but I wanted a better experience.

The Grove Hotel was on the top of the list and rated a 4 star hotel, but by whose standard of rating I am not sure.

Front desk staff could be seen eating in plain view of guests walking by the front desk; uniforms were not in a presentable apprearance, but the two I dealt with were atleast very pleasant.

We asked for a suite and were gven the keys to room 408...Upon entering the "suite" it was immediatley obvious this was no suite and NOT what we asked for. I picked up the phone and dialed the front desk and told them this room was not what we asked for, and the clerk replied he already knew this and was about to call us and have us move to room 412, right next door.

Room 412 was a suite and at first glance a very charming room, until one took a much closer look. Bottle caps from beer bottles were found, and the maid had just finished cleaning before we moved in.

The coffee table was a nice dark wood, but had paint smears from white paint all over the top; above the curtains on the ceiling the paint was peeling; in the bedroom the armoir which housed the TV had a huge chunk of wood missing from it exposing the inside fiber board; and as if this wast enough, the toilet was broke and kept running after flushing...This was reported and some man came up and tried to fix it, but was really rude in that I asked him NOT to enter our bedroom 3 times and he did any way, and the toilet was not fixed...Called the front desk again both to report this rude man, and to say the toliet was not fixed, so the young lady herself came up and tried her best to fix it,but in the end was no able to as the chain kept coming off, so she offered to move us to another rom but too little too late as at this point it was now afer 3 in the morning and we were very tired.

We had planned on checking out at noon, but given what we went through we left at 8 am...At check out they adjusted off 50 dollars for the inconvienience, but I was not too impressed.

Overall, I will say it was NOT a typical 4 star hotel, in that we were treated in the way we were, and the rooms were in such dis-repair...I would NOT recommend this Hotel to anyone accustomed to 4 star treatment.

Dr. Darrell DeMotte

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank damnice
Reviewed 27 December 2006

It looks like this hotel has only gone downhill since it opened. It definately has been used hard. We booked a room for 4 on Christmas Eve expecting a very nice stay with a beautiful view. The only thing the room had to offer was a view. It was a very small room, the bedding was of poor quality, the furniture beat up and the colors dark and drab. When we went to check out the suana and pool (which is one of the reasons for staying here) we were surprised to find it was closing at 04:00 pm. Luckily we went to check it out to see what it was like after being so disappointed in the room. This amenitiy was just as much of a let down and the final straw. You have to walk through Gold's Gym to get to the pool and sauna. The pool was a lap pool and the steam room and sauna smelled bad. No wonder they furnish you with robes. Of which there were only two in our room that was booked for 4 people. We promptly cancelled our reservation and found another place to stay. It didn't have the same view, and we didn't have to pay for parking, etc, etc. but the Grove couldn't compare to the Hilton Garden Inn. How this place got a 4 or 5 star rating is beyond me. It definately is not a family hotel. I guess it is because of valet parking, someone to carry you bags into your room, a restaurant and a view, The only positive for us was the view. That wasn't enough.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family