“A great place to go”

Aquarium of Boise
Ranked #23 of 124 things to do in Boise
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Aquarium of Boise (a 501 (c)3 non-for-profit) is the only place of its kind in Idaho. It is an interactive aquarium where children and adults can touch, feed, and learn about each individual animal. Come be a part of the Aquarium of Boise family, explore the ocean with your own hands, and leave with the greatest memories! Our Mission is to educate and inspire the conservation and enhancement of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems through hands-on interaction. Regular Admission: Single Adult Admission: $10.00 Children (7- 11): $7.00 Children (3-6): $5.00 Children (2 and under): Free Senior (55+): $8.00 Military: $8.00 College Student (w/ ID): $8.00
Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great place to go”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My children loved this place. Our favorite part was when we feed the stingrays fish, we were able to pet them and they loved it. The stingrays would come up to you and want to be touched! I thought it would have been a bigger place full of more animals but it was still a great place to go. We must have stayed 2 hours and most of our time was spend with the stingrays!

1 Thank OregonTrish

Merrillville, Indiana
137 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 301 helpful votes
“Not much to see”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Unfortunately, there wasn't much to see at the Idaho Aquarium. It's very small and not many animals on exhibit. The only good thing they had was the lorikeet exhibit, where lorikeets can be fed nectar in the enclosure. Other than that, this is one place you'll want to skip. Just not worth visiting.

1 Thank birdlady07
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Nice little place for Boise.”
Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

Me, my wife and kid went here for something to do while in Boise. It is small as people pointed out over and over again in these reviews. I stayed an hour mostly because my son actually takes an interest in marine life and is knowledgeable about the different species. I will say it is the only aquarium that I've been to that allows you to feed fish by hand and pet them. We all had fun doin that. The stingrays were awesome and actually came up to us so we could pet them. Never experienced that personally and thought it was pretty great. Some said this place was out of the way to drive there. I stayed at the Grove in the middle of downtown and it took me prob 10 min to get to the aquarium. not even worth complaining about. I waited in line at the olive garden 4 times longer than that. I hope this place gets the revenue off the $9 a person so they can expand. Could grow into a great attraction for Boise.

4 Thank nvdsl99
Boise, Idaho
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Many safety violations here !!”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Where do I begin...I have a 5yr old that loves to have fun so we decided to try the aquarium. The website says they feed the turtle at 11:00 and 5:00. We decided to arrive at 10:45 to ensure we would see the turtle fed. As we arrived so did 3 school bus loads of kids.I dont know what the occupancy number is of the aquarium but my guess is it was well exceded. We couldnt get to ANY of the displays to see anything so we waited by the turtle tank since its now 11:00. Waited till 11:15 no sign of a feeding.Waited till 11:30 still no feeding. It's now 11:45 and I'm tired of waiting so i desperately try to find someone who works there and FINALLY found someone.I asked why they havent fed the turtle yet and she said she would find out. I waited another 20 min for her to come back and when she did she walked right past me and ignored me.I followed her to the employee only area and demanded to speak with her supervisor.She said were too busy but someone will feed the turtle shortly. LAME.
The area that the sting rays are in they put a want to be play area that says not responsible for any injuries. Wow..really?! there was over 30 kids playing in this thing and it was out of control!! Not to mention all the exposed outlets and cords running across the playmats AND the emergency exit was blocked by tables and chairs AND there wasnt an employee in sight. I went to the front entrance and demanded they get someone back there before they had a serious accident. Waited another 15 min before Anyone bothered to appear.
The cost of admission is a joke for this place AND to feed the fish they sell you 1 sheet of seaweed for $2 to feed the fish. (They tear it into 4 pieces so you feel like your not getting ripped off) By the way,Costco sells a box of seaweed for $6.99 with over 670pcs. Theres a sign right next to the feeding fish tank that says "this fish bites". What are they thinking?

3 Thank passionflowers208
Bend, OR
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Aquarium in Boise?”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My son, who is a Boise State University student, took me here and we had fun. This aquarium is small--kind of like a large Petco or PetSmart, but they have nice aquariums & terrariums set up, and pools where people of all ages can touch small sharks and sting rays, among other things. I was amazed how differently the shark's scaley skin was compared to the silky, soft, rubbery texture of the sting rays skin.This in itself made it very worthwhile for me. It's hard to believe that Boise, ID has an aquarium--nothing like Newport, OR, Monterey, CA or Sea World, but nonetheless, there is one in this landlocked state. It's a nice distraction away from the hustle and bustle of the city, and makes you feel like you're closer to the ocean than you really are. The location is a little odd, it looks like the industrial part of town. It doesn't take very long to walk through, maybe a half hour or so--longer if you linger or if there is a field trip going on. Some reviewers say it's overpriced ($9 for an adult), small and don't waste your time, but if you are spending time with a loved one, it will be whatever you make it out to be.

Visited April 2013