“Pleased with my experience, give them some time”

Angell's Bar & Grill
Ranked #189 of 790 Restaurants in Boise
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 9th
Transit: There are several located all around our location.
seattle
“Pleased with my experience, give them some time”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I used to eat at Angell's when in town on business. Wondered what it would be like now with new owners when I was overnight in town. Dropped in about 7:30 pm, not very many customers. Ate at bar, friendly bartender. Menu looked similar to old days, but I went with light dinner of calamari and Caesar salad. Both very good as was martini. Not a demanding order, but I was not disappointed. Certainly did not have an experience to avoid. Sounds like they have revamped the kitchen and are investing. I hope they are successful.

• Visited January 2014

Boise, Idaho
“Bummer. It was so lame.”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We LOVED the old Angells. So much that my husband proposed to me there in 2001 because he felt it was the perfect place.

Sorry, but the new Angells just doesn't even come close. Our servers were sweet but inexperienced, and the food was so-so on both occasions. Unless something drastically changes, we won't be back. Sadly.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank Traci S
Boise, Idaho
“New owner has no idea what he is doing.”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This used to be a regular spot for I and my friends. None of us had been back since it had been re-opened by a new owner. We showed up around 8 pm on a weeknight. The bar was lit so bright that I thought maybe they had closed and the cleaning crew was coming in. No tv's were on. 3 employees at the bar and the bartender. No other customers. (The restaurant appeared empty too). If you are a downtown bar with flat screen tv's, turn them on. ESPN is on 24 hours a day. It also shows people that you are open and this is a sports oriented town. We asked to turn them on and were told that the new owner has no intention of using them at all. WTF? They were also out of items on the menu this night, same as the
reviewer before me. Wines by the glass totally limited. (This used to be THE place to get great wines by the glass).

The host/hostess desk used to be directly in front of the entryway and divided the bar from the restaurant. It made it inviting for families, etc. Now it is on the left and the divider is gone. You basically walk IN to the bar in order to be seated in the restaurant. HELLOOOO.....there are religious people in this town with a lot of money that do not approve of drinking at all! They do not want their children to see it. A quick walk by the bar was ok prior to the re-opening. This entryway will not bring anyone from that group back.

What I learned was that the new owner thinks that people being loud in a bar during a BSU game might interrupt diners in the restaurant with the noise. I think there is NO chance of that. You actually need customers in the restaurant for this to happen. Totally uninviting bar now. What happened to the comfy chairs by the window that we fought over sitting at? Liquor selection is 1/3 of the size it used to be. Wine list may now possibly be the worst one in downtown Boise. How can you run out of food items on your menu with no customers? It's almost as if the new owner has never ran a restaurant before and is setting it up the way he/she likes it, not the way that actually works. I would love to see their restaurant background and see how many other places they have destroyed.

Do not waste your money. Chandlers is across the street with great wines and ambiance. Berryhill and Co. is another half block away with good wine, food, and sports on the television in the Plan B bar. Very sad to see this institution go down like this.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Josef L
Naples, Florida
“What Else On The Menu is Not Available Tonight?”
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Yeah. Apparently, the chef quit the night before our visit. 1st selection: not available tonight. 2nd: nope. How about clams with green curry sauce? Sounds good. They were tasty - even though they were mussels, not clams. Limited wine list. Overall: mediocre. I prefer Chandlers, which is a short walk away.

2 Thank xParzival
Portland, OR
“Great place for a nice dinner downtown – and get the Filet Renato!”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We had a very nice, quiet dinner here on a night that Boise State was playing, so we practically had the restaurant to ourselves. Our server was friendly, efficient, and unobtrusive.

I had the Filet Renato which was incredible and worth every penny. It was cooked perfectly and was flavored just right. Every bite melted in my mouth and I reluctantly shared one bite with my husband who immediately said he should have ordered it, too. Instead, he had the Duck Carbonara which had fresh noodles and a slightly heavy sauce (from the duck). He enjoyed it but kept eyeing my steak. He said his accompanying Caesar salad was drowning in dressing, suggesting a request for “light dressing” would be a good idea.

The wine list was pretty standard. The atmosphere inside the restaurant was more formal and elegant while the outdoor patio looked more casual. Both areas looked comfortable and easy to linger in.

• Visited September 2013