“If you can read, you'll love it here.”

Boise Public Library
Ranked #21 of 137 things to do in Boise
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is the best library I've ever been in- more fun than the Library of Congress, and with librarians who like kids and don't yell at them to be quiet. The security guard (yes, there is one) walked through the book scanner & had the alarm go off on him. Everyone on staff & the patrons razzed him mercilessly for stealing books...until he looked down & realized my 4'-yr''-old was standing behind him with a not-yet-checked-out book. He did what all the Boise library staff do: Smiled.

No, they don't have the number of books in a city the size of NY or LA. However, they have a terrific summer reading program, events throughout the year for kids and adults alike, tons of movies and a "Guess the Story" panorama contest for kids which changes every week. Great place, and one of our all-time favorite places in Boise!!!

2  Thank WhereDoIGoNow
"browse"
"classes"
"collection"

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We love going to the library. My husband and I are both library card holders. We get all of our books on tape for road trips. I took my son to story time every week and sometimes just went in to the kid section to play with dinosaurs or find a book to read.

3  Thank TWNTVLR
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I love everything about this library - librarians are mostly helpful, though I have encountered a couple of aloof ones, range of book topics are satifactory, not top-knotch yet. My main complaint is: why is noise permitted in the library? There are so many riffraffs hanging out here. Their loud chattering, cursing and babies making a racket... oh my god. Boise Public library is the first library I have encountered that does not feel like a library at all, more like a busy street market. It can get very distracting and annoying. And once in a while a librarian might remind a patron to stop chattering on a cellphone, but mostly these talkers are left alone and they can be loud! Old-schoolers I have met had expressed the same of this library. You CANNOT hear your own thoughts let alone a pin dropping.

4  Thank Mandy C
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I just moved to Boise and already have a library card! The branch I go to is well stocked with everything a library should have, including many, many Movie discs.

1  Thank GatorDee
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 February 2013

The Boise Library is doing such a great job for the entire community on a limited budget. And while we have not lived in Boise for some time, we still recall how nice it was to have a community resource for ourselves and our children. We now have lived on three tiny islands from the Caribbean to the South Pacific, and have come to appreciate what a wonderful resource the Boise Library is. So take advantage of it; there is so much to offer!

3  Thank EpiDoc