“bait and switch!”

Ranked #30 of 58 Hotels in Boise
boise
“bait and switch!”
Reviewed 26 August 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel for a week while I had hardwood floors put in. I booked my reservation online for $61.86. I called the hotel a week later to confirm my reservation and to inform them I had 2 pets with me and they said that was an extra 10 a night. When I checked in the rate was higher than what I had booked and I asked her if the pet fees were already on there and she said yes. When I checked out 5 days later, I called down to the front desk and asked them what my final bill was. He said he was busy and would have to call me back. I told him I would call him back in a little bit as I had everything loaded up in my car. When I called back a couple hours later and asked what my final bill was I was informed that it was about $80 higher than what I had reserved. He said that they tried to run my credit card through after I made the reservation and it didnt go through. I said why didn't you call me then. He said he didn't have my contact info. Of course he had my contact info as I made the reservation!! He said "thats not my problem" I contacted corporate HQ and got a reply saying the hotel would contact me about this. They have not! I would have recommended this property until this happened and now I hope nobody else falls for this!

• Stayed August 2010
3 Thank spudbird

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Eugene
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We recently drove from Oregon to New York and stayed here both on the way out and on the way back. VERY friendly toward pets, the room was new, clean, had great coffee and new beds.

This was our first experience with Candlewood and we will make a point to stay with them in the future. We basically planned our route home based on cities with Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sharoneonta
New York
Reviewed 10 December 2008

I tried to cancel my reservation a week before as I realized the hotel does not have a pool. I was informed if you cancel your reservation you have to pay the full cost of your stay. The fine print apparently states this policy.
Upon arrival a notice in the room states the rooms are cleaned once a week and the linens changed at that time. If you require clean towels you can get them at the front desk. This notice basically means NO ONE will make the bed, clean up the bathrooms or empty the trash.
The recliner they provide is a cheap leather stiff recliner, which is very uncomfortable. The sofa is also cheap foam and uncomfortable.
The cost of the room was $85/night which is comparable to hotels in the area. BUT I travel 75,000 miles a year and have NEVER had to make my bed or clean up my room. Candlewood Suites will not be in my future travel plans.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank Casey1101
new york
Reviewed 21 November 2008

My wife and I travel extensively. We booked this room as it was near family. What a huge mistake we made in this choice. The room smelled horribly and we found hair in our bathtub. When we voiced this and other concerns to the manager curt he told us to use a room deoderized. We had planned to stay two weeks but could not make it through two nights. Nightmare. Don't risk your health or emotions with this hotel.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — management
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank josephnewyork
Idaho
Reviewed 17 July 2008

I just got back from a four day stay at Candlewood Suites in Boise. This was my first stay at any Candlewood suites hotel and I was impressed overall. Everything about the room and the building was as advertised and the rooms were very clean when I checked in.
The kitchen area had a full size refrigerator with an automatic ice cube maker. I learned to turn off the ice maker at night as when ice dropped into the tray it could be quite noisy. There was a full size microwave, not the usual small hotel size, and a two burner stove. There is NO oven though. The kitchen was supplied with four place settings, two pots, a teapot for the stove, a coffee maker, toaster, and a pitcher which I kept full of water and in the refrigerator.
Next there was an oversized desk/table with an office chair on one side and two dining chairs on the other side. This was perfect to eat at when I had breakfast or brought food back to the room. There were also internet connections and electrical outlets here but I did not use them so cannot comment on how well they worked.
In the living area there was a loveseat and leather recliner plus a very nice tv set. I like to lounge around reading or watching tv in the evening and I found the loveseat to be uncomfortable.
The bedroom was equipped with a comfy bed, a set of three drawers with a tv on top, and a small desk which is where I left my suitcase as I never really unpacked. The bedroom closet had a laundry basket for use as a place for dirty clothes or to carry your clothes to the onsite laundry. For some unknown reason the extra pillows and blankets were in the entryway closet and not in the bedroom closet. Bring hangars as I don't remember seeing any.
The bathroom was large and equipped with a sink and a shower/tub combo. Nothing special about them but nothing to complain about either.
Maid service is only offered once a week at this hotel and since I stayed only four days the maid never came. I knew about this before booking this hotel and liked it. I was staying by myself and am not messy enough that I needed someone to pick up after me. It was nice not having to worry about someone coming in when I was trying to nap as has happened to me in the past even with the do not disturb sign out. If you need fresh towels or bedding the front desk will accomodate you. There are garbage cans in the stairwell of each floor.
The location of this hotel was perfect for me as I was in Boise to go shopping. The hotel is directly across the street from the Mall and is near to a lot of other stores and restaurants.

• Liked — The rooms were all large with plenty of space to move around in.
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable loveseat
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo