“Nice rooms, great location, so-so customer service”

TownePlace Suites Boise Downtown
Ranked #30 of 58 Hotels in Boise
Seattle, WA
“Nice rooms, great location, so-so customer service”
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I booked three nights at the TownePlace Suites i using rewards points for a recent visit family in Boise. We had been driving all day with my two small children and we were anxious to check in to our room and get settled. We arrived after 4 p.m. (the TownePlace Suites check in time) and were told by the less than enthusiastic front desk person that the room would not be ready for another 10 minutes. I settled my family in the lobby and used one of the hotel's luggage carts to unload our car.

When I rolled the loaded luggage cart back into the lobby, the room was still not ready. The desk clerk offered no apology or explanation and told me he'd let me know when the room was ready. Another 15 or 20 minutes later, the room was ready (still no apology or explanation).

The room was on the third floor facing Boise's Train Depot. It was a one-bedroom suite with a king sized bed in the sleeping room and a sofa sleeper in the sitting room. There was a nice little kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator, a range, a large built in microwave and a dishwasher (which was running when we entered the room). There was also a full set of dishes and cookware.

The room was new and nicely decorated. There was no in-room safe. The TownePlace Suites offers free wireless that worked well. The bathroom was small with a combination bath/shower. My wife immediately noted that there were only three towels for four people. And we noted that the towels were thin and in some cases threadbare. We called the front desk to request additional towels. They never came, but my wife flagged down one of the housekeeping staff in the hall later that evening and they brought additional towels as well as bedding for the sofa sleeper.

The hotel has an indoor pool with a spa. Unfortunately the spa was out of order during our entire stay. When my wife complained to the front desk staff, she was told that they were waiting for a part and that we could use the outdoor spa at a Marriott Residence Inn adjacent to the TownePlace Suites. When she said she didn't want to drag our two young children across a busy parking lot to get to the other hotel, the staff person just shrugged. We also complained about the pool temperature being too cold and we were informed it was at the recommended temperature along with another shrug.

The Towneplace Suites offers a complimentary breakfast from 6-9 a.m. that we were never able to take advantage of. The hours were just too limited for a family with small children.

The heating/cooling system in the room was one of those bake or freeze systems that wasn't easy to control. So we spent nights kicking off covers and then pulling them up again when the air conditioning kicked in.

The TownePlace Suites seems to cater more to business travelers on extended trips rather than families on vacation. There is a nice little business center off the lobby with two computers for printing boarding passes. There was also a small workout room adjacent to the pool. It had a couple of tread mills, an elliptical machine and a stationary bike. There were also some free weights. The room and equipment were well maintained.

The hotel is in a very central location in Boise. It is adjacent to Anne Morrison Park and a block away from Boise State University. The Capitol Building is just a few blocks away. It is also easy to access the freeway.

I'm not sure whether it was because we were on a rewards stay but the front desk staff were never very friendly. When we checked out, the clerk simply said, "Looks like its all covered by points," and turned away. No "thank you for staying," or "hope you visit us again." So, although we thought the facility was nice, the lack of customer service probably won't bring us back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the southside of the hotel face the historic Boise Train Depot.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Idaho
Reviewed 5 July 2012 via mobile

If I were coming to Boise for a lengthy visit, this is the place I would stay. The reason I say that is they have some amenities one does not find in standard hotel rooms. The room had an easy chair, a couch, a desk with comfy desk chair, two large and one small night stand/TV stand units with drawers, and 4 lamps. The bathroom had drawers in the vanity. The kitchen included a dishwasher, good sized refrigerator/freezer, two burner stove, huge microwave, and sink. There was even a laundry basket. There were lots of pillows -- and they give you an option of feather or foam. The property is conveniently located near a park, the Greenbelt, BSU, and not far from downtown. It would be ideal for people who like to run. Breakfast is standard hotel breakfast food. Decor is also pretty standard. All-in-all, it would be an easy place to stay for a week or more.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M-Birder
Vale, Oregon
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We choose this hotel due to the proximity of our son's Wedding venue,the "Boise Train Depot". We were so pleased with the hotel staff, their service, and their willingness help at every request. We had the rehersal dinner (50 guests) in the Conference Room and it turned out great. It really was the perfect hotel for us. A big thank you to "Hana", front office manager,

Room Tip: Love, love, love, the 2 bedroom suites.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I reserved a room at this hotel on line, after spending several hours pouring over Boise maps and reviews to find a hotel near the green belt with an indoor pool where my 5 year old daughter could swim to work off her energy. I was a little taken aback by the policy that you could not get your money back if you canceled within 3 days of the arrival date, but we were sure we were going (my husband was biking in a bike race in Boise with a friend).

When we got to the hotel, I went to the hotel desk to check in and was told that they had had a platinum hotel member decide to stay on longer so they were sending me to another hotel. WTF!!!???? The other hotel was miles away, in the middle of a busy section of town. SERIOUSLY!! We've driven all day, from Portland, Oregon, to get to Boise, and when we arrive our hotel room has been given away. I could not believe it.

I found another Marott hotel near the green belt on my own (the Courtyard Boise), had them hold a room, called the TownePlace and asked them to send me to that hotel. The front desk guy called me back and said the other hotel, Courtyard Boise, had not been able to actually hold the room for me before someone reserved it on line. F over by Marriott again.

I spent 2 hours online at a friends house finding another hotel that had a room, no pool, not a Marriott. It was horrible. You are seriously rolling the dice if you make a reservation at this hotel, take your chances if you feel like a gamble.

3 Thank isbretesla
Puyallup
Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

Very nice, clean hotel. There visiting BSU campus. 5 minute drive from hotel, very convenient. Numerous places to eat, visit nearby. Will definitely be staying again since our daughter will be going to school there.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank mhpPuyallup
Orofino, Idaho
Reviewed 2 May 2012

kitchens with plates, silverware, etc in each room with microwave and fridge
Quiet
Friendly staff
Close to downtown, BSU, and Greenbelt
Comfy beds

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband and I stayed in the TownePlace Suites in early April. We did not use the exercise room, etc. just our room. It was clean and warm and conveniently located. The one problem was the television did not work and apparently this is a common problem. They should have a sign telling people if it does not work to unplug it, then plug it back in. The morning breakfast is not exceptional, it is however an easy and quick way to get a breakfast in you before starting your day. There is a restaurant across the parking lot if you have time for a sit down meal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple