“First impression is awesome, but.......”

Hyatt Place Boise/Towne Square
Ranked #10 of 58 Hotels in Boise
Reviewed 18 September 2010

When we walked into the room (a single king with pull-out sleeper couch) for the first time, we were blown away...it was HUGE and very pretty.

And then we started looking around. First up, we found that the bathroom door didn't latch. Fortunately, we're a couple and don't need to lock doors in each other's presence, but in a hotel this nice, doors that don't fit are not a plus. Second, we had to make a call, so we picked up the cordless phone and found that it didn't work...not that it didn't work WELL, it simply didn't work. Third, we tried to make coffee the next morning only to find that one of the ceramic coffee mugs supplied had a large crack in the bottom and leaked.

To continue the whining, the closet (which contains a keyed safe for valuables) has a clothes bar that's about 3 feet off the ground...clearly not enough space to hang a dress or pair of pants without touching the floor. There was complimentary toothpaste, but no hand lotion. There was a throw apparently to be used while watching [the 42-inch!!!] TV on the couch that was rather dingy and gray. Finally, both sinks are in the main room, so there's no privacy for morning and evening ablutions. Oh yeah, and my partner says the bed was too soft, but I liked it.

OK, enough of that. It's a NICE hotel, the staff was very friendly and helpful, there's a "mini" Starbucks in the lobby (run by the hotel desk staff), and there's a limited, but complimentary, continental breakfast (go early, expect crowds). The Starbucks area sells breakfast sandwiches and pastries as well...or you can order it using your room card. For dinner, there are bunches of restaurants, including several national chains, within a few blocks, and for other needs there are a couple of plazas within walking distance.

When we left, we told the desk about the non-functional items in the room and they promptly gave us a discount ticket for our next stay. In spite of all the nit-picking, we agree that we'd stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 September 2010

When I first checked into the hotel, I was blown away with how nice the rooms were and looked forward to spending my week in such a comfortable room. My first night of sleep was terrible as temperature control was a serious issue (had to set the thermostat to 55 degrees to keep from overheating in the plush bed!) The first few days were relatively incident free, until I had to shower without hot water midweek. This effected me and my colleagues staying throughout the hotel. Returning from business later that day showed me that my room had not really been cleaned, but the bed was made. Dirty dishes remained in the sink and trash in the garbage. The cleanliness continued like this for the rest of the week, despite my efforts to keep it clean myself. The complimentary breakfast was quite good but it never failed that they were out of coffee within 30 minutes of opening (and my timetable didn't allow for me to wait around while they brewed more). I went for breakfast early in the morning on the weekend (just as I had all week) but wasn't aware it opened later. All of the food/drinks were out but they wouldn't turn the light on in the room. My colleagues and I were told that we could help ourselves to the breakfast — but the lights were never turned on and we helped ourselves to coffee in the dark.

All in all, for the cost of the room, it was a pretty good stay and it served its purpose well while I was here (7days/nights). I would probably try another hotel in town on my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank lmsenn
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt Place in Boise on my way back to Minneapolis. I got a great rate through AAA, and I really enjoyed the room. The staff was pleasant and helpful, and I was able to get a good rest. I was going to rent a car and explore Boise, but I just walked to the mall, shopped, ate, and relaxed in my room with a movie for the second night. I was on the second floor, and the people on the third floor had kids who were loud. I would book the upper floor another time.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2010

What a great hotel. We booked it through hotels.com and got a great deal. The rooms are the most comfortable and best I saw on our recent trip. Comfortable bed, 50 inch flat screen TV, comfortable working table in room with a separate area for a sofa beside the King Size Bed.

The continental breakfast was included and you could order hot stuff if you wanted. If you are in Boise, check it out.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We booked directly on this hotels website and entered a AAA discount and paid 60 some dollars a night (incredible value). Loved just about everything about this hotel. Incredibly nice people working the lobby desk, every last person we met went beyond to make us feel priority 1. The lobby was decorated very asian modern but warm. I could see there was nooks and a small bar and seating and tables all around.
Our room was so cute, lovely furnishings and well thought out. I really liked the sectional(which could open up to a bed) spent a lot of time there reading during our stay. Large flat panel T.V. was situated so you could see it from the bed area and the sitting area.
The house keeper we had was unbelievable. She left us a very cute thank you note for the tip and cleaned up so well, wrapped up our cords and everything, Krystal was her name. Hope you get her!
We loved getting the breakfast buffet filled with oatmeal, cereals, toast, english muffins, muffins, fruit, fruit salad, juice, beagles, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, teas and coffee all for no additional cost. You could even request special egg orders, that was an additional cost.
The front desk gave us a list of local eateries and sight seeing spots, so we headed out to lovely Idaho. Love Idaho it turns out! We ate at the Macaroni grill which was walking distance away (mom especially loved her salmon), Moons cafe (huge pancakes wow, get a milkshake), Murphys (local wine and salad was very nice and a great value). The old Penatentary was a cool self guided tour, Botanical gardens lovely, huge scenic parks and the Train Depot was all worth seeing.
We did spend a little time in the indoor pool which was nice but very chlorinated. You could smell it down the hall. They had towels to use which was nice.
We checked out via a check in/ out kiosk easy as can be. I wish I could live here!

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Wish I had booked someplace else. HORRIBLE customer service at this hotel. The staff are rude and condescending. Management are inadequate for the Hyatt name. The amenities are not nearly as nice as they look online. Do yourself a favor and book with someplace else.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank NateUT
Reviewed 13 July 2010

We paid $76 for a room that I think would compare to a $150 room in another hotel. Spectacular! I really can't think of a better hotel room we've stayed at.... ever!

Everything was squeaky clean --- and I am so PICKY!! I like to feel like I am the first person to ever stay in the room.

We got in very late. Check-in was seamless, very courteous and helpful. Unfortunately, we left early in the morning for a meeting and we were not able to partake of the breakfast that looked so inviting. Several families were seated eating and everyone looked like they were really enjoying the abundance of food.

The room was very comfortable. Air conditioning adequate and quiet. The TV was a HUGE LCD that had a control panel on the side of the stand you could hook your computer up or games for kids. There is a separate seating area in the room from the bed area.

We will definitely be staying at this hotel again. It is an easy walk to several independent as well as chain restaurants. Shopping is abundant. Easy on and off 1-84.

The only thing I would recommend as an improvement is signage. You don't expect the hotel to be where it is and if you're not looking carefully, you'll miss it for sure. But turn around and go back or you will miss a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business