“Great family hotel!”

The Riverside Hotel
Ranked #7 of 58 Hotels in Boise
“Great family hotel!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We had our family reunion here the past two years. They have been nothing but accommodating!! We got rooms by each other and most important by the pool. The sliding glass doors NEED to be REPLACED!! If my husband hadn't been there I couldn't have used the door and I am no weak mama.
My own family included 3 kids all teenagers. The pool was great, the life-size chess set was fun, and the food ordered by the pool was convenient. (Very salty, and not the best food, but convenient with a large group.)
I would not pay $20.00 for their breakfast. Less than $10 would be more what I thought it was worth. Thankfully we had breakfast tickets that covered the breakfast.
Love the path on the river behind the pool. Very cool option you can rent bikes.
Close to many stores!

As a family we went to the Roaring Springs water park, that was great! Got there when they opened and found a free huge umbrella to park our family under. Parked our cars backed up to grass. Brought coolers and had lunch in the grass since you cannot bring food into the park.

We also floated down the river, took a couple of hours. We had a blast renting tubes. We had two people drop us off at the main starting point and then drive to the ending zone. One van was left there. They do have a bus shuttle option for free but this way we didn't have to wait for it. The first year we had to wait a long time and the kids were hungry and tired.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
KathyPidgeon, General Manager at The Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hello MammaOfThree
Thank you for selecting The Riverside for your family reunion. This hotel is the perfect place for a family to get together. Whether you cool off in the pool, enjoy lunch in the Sandbar or just sit in our Gazebo and listen to the music, The Riverside is a great place to catch up with family. I can not disagree that many of our rooms do need work done to the sliding glass doors. Our maintenance team is working on that right now and I am happy you reminded us.
It sounds as if you were able to enjoy a lot of fun summer activities while you were in Boise that is great. There really are a lot of things to do here.
I hope we see you and your family again next year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Columbus, Montana
Reviewed 12 August 2014

first I wish to say that the Hotel's personnel are really good people, the pool and Sandbar Grill is a fun place to visit. The Buffet's and meals were excellent. But..... If you will be staying there for over a day, and may have many meetings to go to, just hope you get a room on the ground floor in the 1's, 2's or 7's. Other wise bring your hiking boots and be physically fit because there is no elevator on the far end. Packing your bags up 16 steps and a 1200 foot walk is not fun after your first day or two. This Hotel is spread away from the core area, all in one direction. Making the walking a requirement. If you are disabled, or like me, have bad knees, it was a miserable access to the room we had. No elevator on the west end and excessively long walks to attend events, not my next choice, unless I get to pick my room.

Room Tip: pick ground floor in the 1's, 2's or 7's maybe with pool view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Hello Tammy S.
Thank you for visiting The Riverside during your recent trip to Boise. I am so happy to hear you found the hotel employees to be helpful. We do have a great staff here.
I agree with you. The hotel is spread out. That is good and bad. Since the hotel is located on 14 acres, right along the Boise River, we are able to feature a beautifully landscaped courtyard complete with the large pool and the patio restaurant that you were able to enjoy. Many guests request to be located on the river. The bad is that if you have mobility issues, some of the guest rooms are located a ways from the lobby and the meeting rooms. I can understand how that could be difficult. Next time you stay, please let us know you would like to be close to the main building and we will make every effort to accommodate your request.
Garden City
Reviewed 12 August 2014

First room given was an older remoled room thatsmelled of smoke. After speaking with front desk and long walk back to get new room we had another long walk back to new room just one door down from old room.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Garden City
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had a great overnight stay. Great pool and so nice to have the poolside bar with incredible nachos! Only down side is there are no elevators and we had to haul our heavy bags to the second floor. Will definitely request a ground floor room next time. Wonderful breakfast included with room ! Thanks!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

KathyPidgeon, General Manager at The Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Hello Ruth F.
Thank you for the review and thank you for staying with us at The Riverside.
I agree, there is no place better on a hot summer day than The Riverside pool. It is especially nice when you enjoy a cool beverage from the Sandbar.
I understand your comment about the lack of elevators in the far wings. I am so sorry you had to carry your bags up the stairs. Next time, please ask for assistance and we will be happy to carry the bags for you.
I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast buffet. You are right, it is a great way to start the day. My favorite is the house baked pastries which we make fresh every morning.
We hope you will come back to see us again soon.
Newberg, Oregon
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We only spent one night while on our way to Yellowstone. We were pleasantly surprised by this hidden gem that has recently been re-invigorated by its new local owners. Like a petite resort this property has a little bit of everything: A nice river walk setting, a happening outside grill & pub with live music on some nights, lawn games, nice family pool, inside restaurant with decent food, and even the Sapphire Nightclub featuring jazz, blues, and local talent. We enjoyed our patio pool view room especially at night with the illuminated garden. The service throughout the hotel was incredibly friendly. A special thank you to Cindy the barkeep who gave us excellent tableside service. We also found the morning buffet (included in rate) to be very good. The resort seems to do a great job hosting family gatherings and can be quite lively on a Friday night. We enjoyed this, however, there may be some of you that would not want the poolside location. Don’t forget your giant cookies offered at check-in.

Room Tip: We liked this hotel. Pool side patio rooms are fun but not if you are looking for quiet on a Friday...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Newbergians,
I am glad you discovered The Riverside! Thank you for pointing out that the hotel is like a petit resort. That is exactly what we want. I am happy you enjoyed all of the amenities the Riverside has to offer and I am even happier that you enjoyed the staff. I must agree, Cindy in the bar is great!
Now that you have found us, we hope you will hurry back. Maybe you can stay longer next time.
Billings
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Location is near the University ,Capital and on the Greenbelt. We enjoyed the extensive breakfast buffet. Lighting in room was dim for reading. Rooms were average size and clean. Ask 4 refridge & micro if you want that. Large pool& only one hot tub with poor jets. We were in the "no smoking rooms" but the people next door smoked on the patio. Need designated smoke areas.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Thank you for your review. I agree, the Riverside is in a great location. Just minutes away from downtown without the traffic and noise. We also have ample free parking. I notice you commented that your room did not have adequate lighting and you are not the first person to notice that. We are in the process of buying more lamps and updating the room lighting. We are also moving our smoking rooms to one area of the hotel that is away from the non-smoking rooms. This should eliminate the problems of smoke from one room traveling to another room. We really appreciate the feedback. We do listen and this is how we improve the hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Riverside again soon.
Freeland
Reviewed 9 August 2014

a great weekend stay while attending a function for friends at the hotel. rooms were great, breakfast buffet was excellent. the function we attended ran smoothly with no interruptions from other hotel guests. Proximity to Boise River bike/walk pathway was wonderful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

KathyPidgeon, General Manager at The Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds as if your function ran smoothly and you were able to enjoy the event as well as other hotel amenities such as the local breakfast buffet and the close proximity to the Greenbelt. I am glad the function brought you to the hotel and now that you have found us, I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon.