“Never again.”

Ranked #16 of 58 Hotels in Boise
Olympia, WA
“Never again.”
Reviewed 2 August 2010

THIS IS A COPY OF THE LETTER I SENT THE GENERAL MANAGER AT RED LION.

I am writing to express our sincere disappointment regarding our recent stay at the Boise Downtowner.

I lived in Boise for six years and recently took a trip back to visit friends. My partner and I were looking forward to this trip. We booked a stay with you through Priceline for July 26-29, 2010. Our trip was really marred from the moment we checked in.

We arrived after traveling more than 10 hours by car to get to the hotel to not be met by anyone at the lobby around 7pm. Finally, a young man approached and checked us in. When he couldn't find our reservation, he said with a bit of distaste "Oh, you booked on Priceline." We received our keys to 238.

We asked for a room with a view of the foothills and he assured that we would get such a room. When we arrived to 238, we found the view to be of the other hotel building (inasmuch NO view of anything) and the room stifling hot. We were unable to change the temperature on the thermostat as it had been bolted down at 70 degrees, but the room was probably 80. I called the front desk and spoke to the same man and after I explained what the issue was, he said reluctantly 'Come downstairs. We will find something."

After we told him 238 was not a view room, he said "All I can give you is a room down the hall." We were then given room 242 - the same type of room just two doors down the hall to the left. (I called Red Lion Reservations that night and it turned out this hotel was nowhere near capacity. So we could have had a room with a view if he had given it to us.)

There were only two small towels stocked in our room and I called down for more. The person on the phone said "We will help you when we have time."

That is unacceptable.

The next morning, I left some money in the restroom with a note to the housekeeper to please restock our bathroom with ample amounts of towels and washcloths. When we arrived later that night, there were two towels in our bathroom, one washcloth and the money and note gone.

Again, unacceptable.

On another occasion, I found dried black marks and stains on our sheets. I left a note to have our sheets completely changed. They were not.

The last night when we arrived to our room our keys did not work. When I went down to the front desk, the woman behind the counter asked for our keys. When she would not accept my ID because the room was not in my name, she raised her voice, said "I won't accept your ID. Find the person who the room's name is under" and waved me off.

Our last morning we had our "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door. We had another 10 hour drive ahead of us and wanted to sleep in. Your housekeeping staff loudly attempted to open the door, but because it was bolted, they were not able to get in. They did not observe the sign on our door and did not even knock. They attempted this twice.

This is absolutely unacceptable for a hotel chain who I have stayed at several times. I will not be staying here again and will be sending this review to travel websites.

I have stayed at many Red Lions and all the staff that we encountered here do not exemplify the high standard Red Lion suggests it upholds to.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sageschatz
RL828, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner, responded to this review, 25 August 2010
I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. I am truly sorry that you had a less than perfect stay. Your concerns were shared with our department heads and action was taken to correct issues you encountered. I will have someone contact you to discuss your stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2010

The Red Lion on Fairview Ave in Boise is an excellent place to stay. The price is super- 64 for a room with breakfast. The rooms are super large with a desk and windows which open- a plus for me. There is a very nice outdoor pool with a hottub. In addition the breakfast buffet is great. The only thing I think they could improve is not using plastic dishes and cutlery for breakfast. In this day and age of eco friendly no hotel should use plastic!! Plus it degrates the buffet. There is ample free parking and it is a short walk to downtown.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Reynoldsburg
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Very nice hotel and a good value for money spent.....complimentary breakfast was awesome....room was spacious....hotel was very clean and in a good location for us.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
RL828, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner, responded to this review, 6 July 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review on our property and your time with us. We value the input of all of our guests and are very pleased to know that we were able to exceed your expectations.

We do hope that you will come and visit us again and if there is anything we can do to assist you with your next reservation, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Pocatello, Idaho
Reviewed 29 June 2010

I have stayed at the Red Lion Boise Downtown many times and have always found the hotel to be one of my favorite places to stay in my travels. They have a great staff that truly cares about your needs and great hotel with all of the services that I need.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
We were thrilled to know that you had a great time with us during your recent stay. Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful comments. We are always thrilled when we are able to exceed the expectations of our guests. Exceeding your expectations is what we aim to do each and every time and knowing that we were able to achieve that for you pleases us.

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 10 June 2010

The staff at the Red Lion Hotel Downtowner are not only professional they are are also warm and friendly. I always feel like I'm home and amongst friends.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
RL828, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner, responded to this review, 14 June 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful comments about your recent stay with us at the Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner. We are always thrilled when we are able to exceed the expectations of our guests. We enjoyed having your group with us immensely and are so pleased to know that we were able to provide you with such a memorable stay. Exceeding your expectations is what we aim to do each and every time and knowing that we were able to achieve that for you pleases us.

Coeur d'Alene
Reviewed 10 June 2010

This hotel has a great staff to take care of all your needs (within reason, of course). They are courteous and friendly and the hotel is very clean. We enjoyed the breakfast and the sportsbar food and atmosphere. Great location at the edge of downtown and close the the freeway connector. I have actually stayed at this hotel many times and when in Boise for either work or play, I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather stay. The friendly staff, cleanliness, and convenient location make it extremely comfortable for me.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 27 April 2010

We stayed here on our return trip from back to Washington. Nice hotel and as long as you are Red Lion member dogs stayed for free. Nice ground floor with slider door was great for evening outing for dogs! We travel this route twice a year and this will always be our return stop from now on!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
RL828, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner, responded to this review, 12 May 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience here at the Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner. We realize that you can stay anywhere and we thank you for choosing the Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner. We hope to see you again in the very near future and if there is anything we can do to help prepare for your next visit, do not hesitate to contact us directly.