“If you're traveling to Boise the Red Lion Downtowner will make you feel at home”

Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner
Ranked #18 of 58 Hotels in Boise
Reviewed 23 September 2010

My fiancee and I just moved to Boise. We were here for 4 days in August to search for a house. We stayed at the Red Lion Downtowner. I just wanted to take a minute to thank the staff for making us feel at home. Everyone there was so friendly and answered all of our needs and questions about the city. The room was great. The breakfast buffet was wonderful and inexpensive. The hotel is close to downtown, obviously, so it's convenient for business and night life. They, also, have a very comfortable sports bar called Characters. As the newest fans of the Boise State Broncos I'm sure we'll be visiting Characters again and again. With their free WIFI it made our house hunting that much easier. It's a little cool for their pool right now, but, it sure was nice during our stay. I, mainly, wanted to commend the staff. Great job.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
RL828, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2010

We were thrilled to know that you had a great time with us during your recent stay. Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful comments. We are always thrilled when we are able to exceed the expectations of our guests. Exceeding your expectations is what we aim to do each and every time and knowing that we were able to achieve that for you pleases us.

Reviewed 17 August 2010

The rooms were pretty clean, but a little on the small side. My wife and four year old son stayed at the Red Lion Downtowner for 3 days and nights and each time we entered the lobby the front desk folks acted as if we were invisible. I'm not expecting to make friends while at the hotel, but at least show SOME pr skills w/a "hello", or "how's your stay thus far?". On day two we were woken at 7am by the family next door w/an out of control child, along w/door slamming repeatedly. I finally got out of bed and asked the lady next door what all the noise was about, she responded that they were on their way out. Not able to get my son back to sleep I decided to talk to the front desk staff about the problem. In describing the problem the guy working the desk merely shrugged his shoulders and said "sorry"; I almost fell over! The lady that checked us in was borderline rude w/her lack of pr skills as well. If you want to stay in a hotel that has average rooms for an average price, and employs staff that have next to no social skills and couldn't care less as to how your stay is going, this is your hotel!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank IrishMicky
RL828, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2010

Reviewed 2 August 2010

THIS IS A COPY OF THE LETTER I SENT THE GENERAL MANAGER AT RED LION.

I am writing to express our sincere disappointment regarding our recent stay at the Boise Downtowner.

I lived in Boise for six years and recently took a trip back to visit friends. My partner and I were looking forward to this trip. We booked a stay with you through Priceline for July 26-29, 2010. Our trip was really marred from the moment we checked in.

We arrived after traveling more than 10 hours by car to get to the hotel to not be met by anyone at the lobby around 7pm. Finally, a young man approached and checked us in. When he couldn't find our reservation, he said with a bit of distaste "Oh, you booked on Priceline." We received our keys to 238.

We asked for a room with a view of the foothills and he assured that we would get such a room. When we arrived to 238, we found the view to be of the other hotel building (inasmuch NO view of anything) and the room stifling hot. We were unable to change the temperature on the thermostat as it had been bolted down at 70 degrees, but the room was probably 80. I called the front desk and spoke to the same man and after I explained what the issue was, he said reluctantly 'Come downstairs. We will find something."

After we told him 238 was not a view room, he said "All I can give you is a room down the hall." We were then given room 242 - the same type of room just two doors down the hall to the left. (I called Red Lion Reservations that night and it turned out this hotel was nowhere near capacity. So we could have had a room with a view if he had given it to us.)

There were only two small towels stocked in our room and I called down for more. The person on the phone said "We will help you when we have time."

That is unacceptable.

The next morning, I left some money in the restroom with a note to the housekeeper to please restock our bathroom with ample amounts of towels and washcloths. When we arrived later that night, there were two towels in our bathroom, one washcloth and the money and note gone.

Again, unacceptable.

On another occasion, I found dried black marks and stains on our sheets. I left a note to have our sheets completely changed. They were not.

The last night when we arrived to our room our keys did not work. When I went down to the front desk, the woman behind the counter asked for our keys. When she would not accept my ID because the room was not in my name, she raised her voice, said "I won't accept your ID. Find the person who the room's name is under" and waved me off.

Our last morning we had our "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door. We had another 10 hour drive ahead of us and wanted to sleep in. Your housekeeping staff loudly attempted to open the door, but because it was bolted, they were not able to get in. They did not observe the sign on our door and did not even knock. They attempted this twice.

This is absolutely unacceptable for a hotel chain who I have stayed at several times. I will not be staying here again and will be sending this review to travel websites.

I have stayed at many Red Lions and all the staff that we encountered here do not exemplify the high standard Red Lion suggests it upholds to.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sageschatz

I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. I am truly sorry that you had a less than perfect stay. Your concerns were shared with our department heads and action was taken to correct issues you encountered. I will have someone contact you to discuss your stay with us.

Reviewed 6 July 2010

The Red Lion on Fairview Ave in Boise is an excellent place to stay. The price is super- 64 for a room with breakfast. The rooms are super large with a desk and windows which open- a plus for me. There is a very nice outdoor pool with a hottub. In addition the breakfast buffet is great. The only thing I think they could improve is not using plastic dishes and cutlery for breakfast. In this day and age of eco friendly no hotel should use plastic!! Plus it degrates the buffet. There is ample free parking and it is a short walk to downtown.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Very nice hotel and a good value for money spent.....complimentary breakfast was awesome....room was spacious....hotel was very clean and in a good location for us.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
RL828, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review on our property and your time with us. We value the input of all of our guests and are very pleased to know that we were able to exceed your expectations.

We do hope that you will come and visit us again and if there is anything we can do to assist you with your next reservation, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

I have stayed at the Red Lion Boise Downtown many times and have always found the hotel to be one of my favorite places to stay in my travels. They have a great staff that truly cares about your needs and great hotel with all of the services that I need.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo

We hope to see you again in the very near future and if there is anything we can do to help prepare for your next visit, do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Reviewed 10 June 2010

The staff at the Red Lion Hotel Downtowner are not only professional they are are also warm and friendly. I always feel like I'm home and amongst friends.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
RL828, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful comments about your recent stay with us at the Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner. We are always thrilled when we are able to exceed the expectations of our guests. We enjoyed having your group with us immensely and are so pleased to know that we were able to provide you with such a memorable stay. Exceeding your expectations is what we aim to do each and every time and knowing that we were able to achieve that for you pleases us.