“Nice place, good drinks”

The Modern Hotel and Bar
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Boise
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed here for a business trip.

The room I had was constantly too warm. I kept the window open each evening to cool the room down. The heater was impossible to figure out; the fan was constantly on and blowing out boiling hot dry air. The heat/ac units in the rooms need to be updated. My co-workers had a similar experience.

The shower is an overhead with a half glass panel for a 'door'. The shower needs a door. This type of shower looks great in pictures. But the functionality is not successful.

The only available outlets next to the bed are hidden behind the mattress on the bed. The placement of the power cords and power strip appear to be a potential fire hazard. The bed was decently comfortable.

My room was horrible for light from a street lamp out back. The room was also next to a stair case, so I had the pleasure of listening to people come up/down the stairs and drag their luggage.

The first and last mornings a dump truck emptied the dumpsters, located right outside my window, at 5 in the morning. I desperately needed the sleep…

Good things:
This place has a GREAT bar. Drink here. I did not try the menu, but the food looked fantastic.

Breakfast was ok. I enjoyed the yogurt… but the yogurt was gone by the time I made it to breakfast the first morning. I do not care for bagels, but I was stuck with eating a bagel.

The rooms are very clean. The people are friendly.

Room Tip: If you see the dumpster out your back window, change rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Nikki S

Reviewed 31 January 2014

This review is really just for the bar, as we have not stayed overnight in the hotel. Fantastic, artisanal, work-of-art cocktails not to be missed. Pricey but worth it for a special night out. The bartenders take pride in crafting one of a kind drinks often based on vintage cocktails and utilizing local ingredients when possible. Try something with a cherry--nothing like a maraschino cherry but rather a home-preserved, spiced black cherry. Delicious, if only life were like a bowl of these cherries... Also have a small variety of nice wines and beers. Various appetizers we have tried have not disappointed. Patio and bar alike are chic, minimalist, and an appreciated option for when the lounge is cram-packed. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The beds are very comfortable, the rooms are a little eclectic, very clean and charming, the bar is delightful in the evening, the location in downtown Boise is close to everything. Staff is friendly and helpful. The only reason I didn't give it the highest rating is because breakfast is a bit pedantic. Although the homemade yogurt is delicious...the same meal (bagels, yogurt, coffee, juice, granola) every morning (we stayed 3 nights) was tiresome. Fun place, though!

Room Tip: Our street-facing room was noisy at night.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My wife and I frequent Boise overnight and were tired of the Hampton Inns. I happened to see an advertisement for the Modern Hotel and took a chance to stay there. As we pulled up, it looked like we were staying at the motel where MLK was shot. We were pleasantly surprised it was not. However, I was not pleased that when I arrived and asked to be on the second floor that the front desk clerk manager told me that the room I booked cost less and there would be an additional charge. That charge was $10.00. Was that a charge she could have eaten? I think so. I'm coming back to Boise next week and looked to book there again, but the cost this time was $165 a night. It is not worth $165 plus a night, so I chose someplace else. I'm not a fan of hiking room rates when the basic accommodations don't warrant a price increase

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank newsman06
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This is a unique hotel. It's completely modern furnishings. I'm not really a modern architecture guy, but even I appreciated the unifying theme. The rooms were clean, spacious and well furnished. My room had the biggest shower I've ever seen, it could have easily accommodated 5 people! The menu is excellent. Evidently the owner is a French citizen and chef who moved to Boise many years ago, and the menu reflects that French influence. My only criticism is that the "Restaurant" in the evening is actually a "Bar", so my minor son was not allowed in there for dinner, although room service is available. We ordered take out Chinese. This is not true for breakfast, just dinner. This always drives me crazy! I would invite the owner to reclassify the restaurant as a true restaurant so that tired, hungry, travelers can enjoy a sit down dinner. All in all a nice hotel, not a major chain, so you are supporting an independent business.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Seanfromseattle
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed here on my first trip to Boise. We went for a girls weekend and were attending our friends' wedding reception as well. The location is excellent for taking in all of downtown. A short walk, albeit it cold in Dec, to many restaurants, cafes and shops. The staff was friendly and attentive. They were helpful and wanted us to enjoy not only our time at the hotel but in town. Free continental breakfast was great. It is continental, croissants, yogurt, granola, juice, coffee, but enough to get you moving in the morning.
I loved the more minimal style of the hotel, very pleasing and calming to the eye. My only negative is that the bathroom isn't really set up for more than two people. Adding a few more hooks and another shelf, would make it more useful and not take away from the aesthetic.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank wanford10
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The next time I come to Tennessee I will make sure to stay at ur Motel. The maids are very nice and the receptionists are very polite. The rooms were very clean and of course the bathroom past our inspection also . Could use a few xgra pillows on the beds Thank You for the wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Maids are very polite and helpful.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family