Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve
  • Free Internet
Laban Rata(Kundasang)
Hotel Yaho(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Restaurant
All reviewscanopy walkbutterfly gardenjungle lodgeporing hot springpalm villafamily with kidsbat caverainforest restaurantshort visiteach room has its ownbuffet breakfaststaff were very helpful and friendlyattached bathroomvery pleasant staykinabalu parkhot water tankrestaurant staff are
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed at the Poring Hot Spring & Reserve Hotel with our 3 boys, aged 7, 5 and 2, as part of a tour of Sabah. In my view this is a good place to stop off at if you are traveling past, but perhaps not a place to travel to specifically for the place itself.

We stayed in the River Lodge, which is huge and very comfortable. It has 2 large bedrooms, each with its own amazing bathroom. It also has a lounge with sofas and Astro TV. It is done in a lovely style, with wooden floorboards and attractive furniture. We were impressed with the look of it immediately. What was also impressive was the welcome we received from the staff, who personally showed us to the lodge and gave us a tour. Easy to do when you only have 2 or 3 lodges, but it was a nice touch.

The bathrooms are great, and have a bit of a luxury feel to them, with sunken baths and showers, and exposed stonework. However they fail to deliver on luxury as the hot water tank is too small, giving you not enough for a bath.

The food was good. The restaurant staff are friendly and were happy to deliver our dinner to our lodge. The breakfast was good too, and was prepared fresh for us. Again, a result of only having a dozen or so guests.

The actual site of Poring Hot Springs is good, with a few cold pools connected by a slide, a rocky pool, and then the hot baths (don't get excited - it's like having a bath outside). There is also a butterfly garden which we didn't see. The best bit for us was the canopy walkway, which may have been in the canopy 20 years ago, but isn't now. However it is a great experience, and has good wobbly (but safe) rope bridges, with some good views. Our kids enjoyed it a lot.

All in all, it was a very pleasant stay, but was too much money for what you get. The lodge was large, hence the high cost I guess, and was very comfortable. I'm not sorry we did it, but we certainly won't be going back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Alexsdaddy
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

This is probably the most expensive backpacker I've ever stayed in, runned by Sutera Sanctuary Lodges. Beware of staffs scamming tourists when starting here (I've written to Sutera but details below).

It's located within the compounds of Poring Hot Spring Nature Reserve itself. Entrance fees to pools and other activities are separate.

Dorm room are tidy and well made. Shared shower and toilet facilities were also clean and well maintained. Complimentary 500ml bottled water provided on arrival. There are tea and coffee making facilities but they forgot to provide stirrers or teaspoons. Towels and beddings are also included. Dorm rooms have fans but not air conditioned. Unlike other backpackers, this one does not have cooking facilities or even a fridge. I read somewhere that this can be provided for 100MYR. You may as well eat out.

THE SCAM: I speak the local language, and I would not like to think how long this has gone on for. On checking out, I was informed there were two towels (not apologetic or asked if it was by accident) and that they will have to keep our 50MYR deposit. I rewuested to check as some of our group where still in the lounge of the hostel. So on return, they said the cleaners only arrived a couple of minutes before me. Checking, no towels were removed from the hostel by us and the cleaners declined a recount. I returned to reception, who now said it costs 100MYR per towel missing. When I said it was ridiculous, she spoke on a walkie talkie and went behind the door. On return, she said it is now 50MYR a towel. I asked to speak to the manager at that time and was declined. They just took our key deposit in the end.

A couple of tourists were ahead of me on my returned trip to reception. It appeared to me they were shown an invoice, which they paid, and the same reception lady then asked them for more money which seem to have confused them but ending up paying her some more money. They were not given a receipt until the lady tourist returned 5 min later to ask for it.

So beware!

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank wonol030
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We didn't stay in the accommodation, it is run by Sutera Sanctuary Lodges which in my experience means it's over priced (180 MYR for a dorm bed, we paid 70 MYR for a room with ensuite). There is a selection of accommodation just outside the park gate, some of which is very reasonable but not all is on trip advisor.

Entrance to the park (15 MYR) gets you entrance to the pools, but if you want to do anything else you have to pay, prices are all reasonable and it doesn't get expensive but it's annoying to have to continue to pay out money. We did the canopy walk way which was good, we didn't pay the extra camera charge. We missed out the slide pool and the butterfly garden. The hot springs themselves were nice enough, we were told on the weekend or holidays they are very busy, we easily got one. They are effectively big baths that you fill with water from the taps, to put enough water in took a long time do we market our pool with our flip flops and went for a look around and went into the public hot pool which wasn't very clean, and the rock pool which is cold water. Generally speaking it's my opinion that a hot bath is perfect on a cold day, when it was 30°out I wasn't convinced by the benefits and liked the cold pool most.

The park cultivate Rafflesia flowers, when we were there they didn't have any in bloom, they apologised a lot but didn't tell us there were privately cultivated flowers 2 minutes walk from the park entrance. As with nature it's hit and miss, so ask around outside the park the locals seem to know what's going on.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rrddaa
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Accommodation was clean and had all the basics but nothing more. Two single beds, hair dryer and tea and coffee making facilities. Communal shower and toilet block that was located close to the accommodation. Overnight stays are on site so you can use the facilities at the hot springs outside normal visitor hours if you wish.

Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank LoveBadgers
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Went here with my family early Jan'13. Our plan is to enjoy the pools! Pretty sad because the timing is not good. It's a public holiday for New Year so there are huge number of people flooding the pools area. None pool is vacant even the kiddo pool flooded by adults. So, we just jump into any little empty space of the pool. Not really enjoyful for us. Plus, the water that should be clear, looks dark. Very dirty.
There's also chicken nugget swimming in the pool! Not to mention the floating oily greyish things!
Euwwwwwww!
The public toilet and changing room also very smelly. Anyway, the kids are happy. Of course because they don't really care. Looking at their happy face make me feel better. sigh.

Room Tip: DON'T go during school holiday and public holiday, or else you will ended up like us!
Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family