“Check-In at the Mcfarland to stay in a great home, enjoy great hospitality and a great breakfast !”

McFarland Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 10 Coeur d'Alene B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Four of us were headed to Glacier National Park, and stayed at the Mcfarland Inn. It's a stunning home in a beautiful old neighborhood in Coeur d'Alene.

When we rang the bell, Nancy, the owner, answered the door and showed us around. The two rooms that we got were really nice. My boyfriend and I had the Mcfarland room, which had a king bed, and our friends had a nearby room with a queen. Both had private bathrooms within the rooms and were on the upper level.

Nancy had an AC unit going for us, which we promptly shut off and opened the big, old windows to enjoy fresh air and the sounds of Foster Ave. It rained, but there are big overhangs, so you can leave the windows wide open while you sleep with no worry. Our room also had a TV and DVD player - we never even opened the cabinet they were in we were enjoying ourselves to much.

After we got settled, Nancy kindly offered some wine and snacks to be set out for us to enjoy, which were complimentary. We accepted the gesture and enjoyed a couple bottles of wine in the cozy back sun room.

The breakfast was very delicious, had a ton of options and completely filled us up. Nancy was down in the breakfast area chatting with us and with one of the other guests.

I know that we will find ourselves in Coeur D'Alene again someday, and I know that we will be checking in at the Mcfarland.

The only note that I would make is that I don't know what Nancy's kid policy is, but in my opinion, this wouldn't be a good option for people with kids. This is an old house with nice furnishings - it's not a hotel with a pool where you can walk through with wet feet. In addition, I think that most people check in as couples expecting a romantic feel (which we had) or as singles looking for quiet respite. There were no kids there when we stayed.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed being on the upper level.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MN_PAUL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Arlington, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

I stayed in the McFarland room for one night en route to Glacier NP and had a very enjoyable experience. Here are the pluses:
- The B&B was in a very central location - about 5-6 short blocks from the main drag (Sherman Avenue) and just another block from the lakefront.
- Nancy, the proprietor, was very friendly and provided helpful recommendations on dinner, and engaged the guests in pleasant conversation over breakfast.
- There was a full-size refrigerator to store guests' food, which is not something available at every B&B in which I've stayed.
- The room was very comfortable; huge king-sized bed; strong wi-fi in the room. I was tired after a long day of travel and fell asleep almost instantly.
- There were lots of snacks throughout the common areas; I only had a glass of wine from the wine & cheese hour, but it's truly a snackers' delight.
- Breakfast was great. I'm admittedly not a picky eater, but I thought the food was good, and the sunroom setting was wonderful (even on a drizzly morning)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Victor Z
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Generally would give good marks for the hostess (friendly, helpful), public amenities (many - make that outstanding - different types of snacks, drinks, lounging areas, excellent breakfast buffet). I was able to store our ice chest contents in the public full sized freezer/refrigerator which is a definite plus. Location is excellent (walking distance to main street with restaurants, lake). We stayed in the Coeur d'Alene room which is affecting my rating. This room is on the main floor and is adjacent to the kitchen. You can hear noises from the kitchen in the bathroom and I presume vice versa. The bathroom is not as functional as it could be. No place to put our toiletries (pedestal sink) so I had to balance my cases on the heating radiator (fortunately heat wasn't turned on). I don't know where Tom put his (the floor?). Would recommend that some shelving be put by the sinks. There were cabinets by the opposing tub but you still need places to put your contact lens stuff, toothbrushes, etc. The room was smallish but did have a desk, chairs, comfortable bed, good reading lights. Additional problem was we could hear the upstairs occupants walking across the floor all night - fortunately this stopped relatively early. I believe I would give a higher rating had we been in one of the larger (presumably) rooms upstairs with less noise and more privacy.

Room Tip: Don't select the Coeur d'Alene room if you can avoid it.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cyssf2003
, Owner at McFarland Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
The Coeur d’Alene Room is 16’ x 15’ with 10’ceilings. The room is large enough for a queen sized poster bed, bedside tables with lamps and drawers, a desk with chair, lounge chair with reading lamp and end table, and a large TV cabinet with drawer space. All of these things are out of the way of the traffic pattern which makes it easy to move around. The room has a walk-in closet with four shelves and two luggage racks. Guests can place their suit cases in the closet and still have room to walk in. The bathroom is 9’x5’ at the narrowest point and 9’x9’ at the widest point. There are a total of 9 shelves in this bathroom. Eight of them are in a cabinet directly across from the sink. One is to your right hand side as you stand at the sink. You can reach this shelf without moving from the sink. There is a toothbrush holder on this shelf. In my opinion there is no need to balance your cases on the radiator as there is ample room closer to the sink.
The reviewer makes assumptions about things she has not experienced. First, the only noise from the bathroom that can be heard from the kitchen is water running, i.e. the shower and sink. Privacy is not an issue as no sounds at all can be heard from the kitchen. Second, the rooms are not larger upstairs. There are four rooms upstairs and they are anywhere from 14’x15’ to 13’x13’. This is an old, historic house. Although I remodeled it with privacy and convenience in mind, there are different configurations of rooms and bathrooms that were a challenge to work around. I believe I was successful.
North Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

We generally try to use B&B's if the trip allows. The McFarland Inn was one of our all-time favorites. The location was excellent--about a 10-15 minute walk to the downtown area. Unless you absolutely want to stay on the water, this is a great location--away from all the noise and people. Beautiful backyard and rocking chairs on the front porch. Excellent breakfasts and ubiquitous homemade cookies. Nancy was quite helpful in giving us information about things we were considering. We used her bikes to ride the Lake Coeur d'Alene portion of the Centennial Trail. Good strong shower and a bathtub for me. My husband and I could think of absolutely nothing to criticize.

Room Tip: We stayed in Huckleberry Room--very quiet and enough space to spread out over four nights.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kcxmas
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I have nothing but praise for Nancy and the Mcfarland Inn. My husband and I were in town for a few days to have a couple get away. Our flight was late arriving into Spokane and we arrived extremely late to the B&B. This was no issue for Nancy. Most B&Bs would not have allowed us to arrive so late.

The breakfast were amazing. All very good and fresh. We had three breakfast and all were different. The constant was the fresh fruit. YUMM.

We were thrilled to use the bikes the Inn provided to stroll around town. Helmets were even provided.

Our room was extremely clean and comfortable. We stay at many B&Bs and the extras here are wonderful. TV with VHS & DVD players in the room. A huge selection of VHS & DVDs. Free Wifi. Top notch towel and soaps. The wine and cheese hours at night. Access to the full house. Even a guest refrigerator. Free water and sodas. She even allows you to have food and drinks in your room. She also had a hand held steamer and allowed me to use it on my dress.

We stayed in the Huckleberry room and it has a clawfoot tub; one of the main reasons I booked that room. I enjoyed my bath. It was a highlight of our stay.

Downtown and the lake are walkable to the Inn.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about our stay. I wish we could stay longer.

I have seen a few people complain about Nancy's rules here on TripAdvisor. The only "rules" I knew about were:
1) You can't use the kitchen. That is a law so not really Nancy's rule. The kitchen is an industrial kitchen used to make food for guest. Not everyone can have access to it.
2) You have to eat breakfast in certain hours. I don't remember the exact hours but it was like a 3 hour window. Again didn't see that as a rule but more of a way for Nancy to have a life. Who wants to be making breakfast all day for guest?
3) You have to sign up for breakfast time the night before. Again, I just saw it as a courtesy to Nancy versus a rule. She needs to know when you are going to eat.

When we are back in the area we will stay here. There is no reason to try any other resort or B&B. For the price this place is amazing. Thank you Nancy for the great job and helping us enjoy our trip to your corner of the World.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Me9247
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Haven't been to a B&B we didn't like---they all top hotels---but this one stands out. Nancy Harper is the most gracious hostess. There was water, Pepsi, candy, cookies, wine and cheese---and scrumptious individually prepared breakfasts, with variety. We hit some bad weather, but it didn't matter. We had the use of an extensive part of this beautiful house, in addition to our super comfy bed and bedroom. The bathroom was four-star. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dick M
Idaho Falls, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed at the Mcfarland Inn for two nights. The food and amenities were fantastic. However, the owner was a bit abrupt and pert. She didn't seem to be comfortable with people being there. There seemed to be some control issues. If that doesn't matter to you, then it would okay. If you are looking for something a little more personal you may be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple