“Wedding Glitches”

McFarland Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 10 Coeur d'Alene B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 September 2006

I was a member of a wedding party that held their ceremony at the McFarland Inn this last weekend and was appalled by the reception we recieved from the innkeeper. My first inkling that she was not the most service oriented person came when myself, the bride, and the other bridesmaid were preparing to go to the Inn to to get dressed and ready for the ceremony. Naturally we were excited to get started with the preparations so we found oursleves arriving approximately ten minutes early. The bride took one look at the clock and was immediately concerned because the innkeeper had scared her with her open disdain for those that are early rather than punctual. We circled the block a few times to kill time and finally as the clock struck one decided that it would be ok to stage our entrance. One thing however, we forgot to synchronize our watches with the innkeepers and upon knocking on the door we were greeted by a woman that was obviously taking issue with the fact that we had arrived two minutes early according to her clock.
The escapade did not end there, the innkeeper was quite disconcerted that we walked around to take a look at the accomodations in order to check up on those final details and to make any last minute decisions regarding the guests arrival and seating. She was openly hostile to a couple of the guests and disdainful towards the wedding party.
Needless to say we did what we came there to do and then hightailed it outta there to the reception hall. I can only imagine the karmic implications of being such a difficult person to a bride on their wedding day, however, I still felt it my responsibilty to write a review and to warn all B&B goers out there that this is hardly the Inn for you if you are the type that is attracted to B&B's for that extra special personal touch.

Stayed: September 2006
11  Thank ivyrose7

Reviewed 10 September 2006

We recently attended a wedding at the McFarland Inn. The Inn is absolutely gorgeous ~ it was immaculate & beautifully decorated. However, we were shocked at how rude the owner was, to the bride & to some of the guests. She seemed to be very stressed and "put out". It is unfortunate, as we enjoy staying at bed & breakfast inns, and we will not be utilizing their services based on her bad attitude and surly disposition. Also unfortunate because it was really a very beautiful & clean inn, and in a great location! If you are looking for a personable hostess, you might consider another establishment.

Stayed: September 2006
11  Thank DragonflyMoon
Reviewed 5 August 2006

I stayed at the McFarland for a whirlwind weekend in Idaho. As a genealogist, I was up for a family reunion in Athol just north of town, so did not get to enjoy as many of the amenities at the inn as I wanted to.

Nancy has a charming home. I arrived late Friday night and she insisted on taking my AMAZINGLY HEAVY suitcase up to my room for me. It was full of scrapbooks for the reunion, so I hope she didn't strain her back!

Unfortunately, I did not get to enjoy breakfast either day (first day, headed out early to the reunion, 2nd day I had an early flight to catch from Spokane). But the bed in the Sherman room was WONDERFUL. Nice and firm, and I'd say at least 400-500 thread count sheets. Very luxurious.

I loved having the Wi-Fi in the room, so when I entered all the new family data I'd gotten during the reunion, I was also able to check some information online as well.

The cable TV was nice, and she even has bottled water and little sacks of chocolate covered nut clusters for snacks. Those came in handy for late night munchies.

She got coffee ready for me extra early Sunday before my trip to the airport, and was very helpful with a local map on Saturday before I headed to the reunion, showing me the best way to get where I needed to be.

Her location is very quaint, near downtown, surrounded by older homes. One of the main drags near her house had some interesting looking shabby chic/thrift stores I wish I could have checked out. If I get back to the area, I'll definitely stay here again!
This has been one of my favorite inns, and I stay in a lot of them.

Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank miselainis
Reviewed 1 August 2006

This is a beautiful home very conveniently located near the hub of Coeur d'Alene and the lake. All but one of the rooms has an attached bath. The furnishings are wonderful. The owner, Nancy, couldn't be more accomodating and helpful. She has provided more than most bed and breakfasts...there is the ever-available snacks and the full-sized refrigerator that is stocked with drinks and water, but available for use by the guests. She has also provided a laptop computer complete with internet service. The breakfasts were fabulous. Nancy will even allow her guests to use the laundry room. There has been a negative review of the inn and the owner. Take that with a large grain of salt. Nancy strives (to the nth degree) to cater to her guests' needs but she rightfully expects her guests to respect the property. We stayed (three nights) in the only room on the ground floor. It is quite large and very comfortable. However, if you are a light sleeper and want to sleep in later in the morning, you might prefer to be upstairs. We will enjoy returning to this inn. Several great restaurants are within a pleasant walk from the inn. (We loved the Wine Cellar and Beacons)

Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank P.Nelson
Reviewed 28 May 2006

We enjoyed every aspect of our stay. The Innkeeper is a great cook, elegant decorator, personable hostess and tends to every detail. Breakfasts are unique & delicious each day, the rooms are newly decorated with sophistication (no old B&B frilly stuff), Nancy, the Innkeeper hosts a lovely wine and cheese time. I was pleased to be able to use a computer while there. The Inn itself is a wonderful house, comfortable guest areas, well maintained. Breakfasts served in a newly added sun room overlooking the charming backyard. Our stay here made our trip to Coeur d'Alene very special.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank GaryDonna
Reviewed 3 May 2006

The McFarland House is a wonderful B and B. It was remodelled completely in 2005 so the rooms are now functional as well as charming. Breakfast was excellent. The innkeeper is great at steering you to good restaurants. Sure she is new in the business...and busy...but she knows what people want in a bed and breakfast and it shows. My husband ususally complains about some of the bed and breakfasts we stay at...but not this one. It has everything to make your stay in Coeur d'Alene wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank Western View
Reviewed 14 January 2006

McFarland House is a very delightful inn. The food was excellent, and the inn was exceptionally clean. But the owner is over worked and we felt as those we were staying with an irritable mother-in-law. If you want a welcoming bed and breakfast, don't go here.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business