“Nearly a 5.....but.....”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chilliwack, Canada
“Nearly a 5.....but.....”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We just stayed here for 3 nights and had a fantastic stay. However, I have to remember we are not just reviewing the area. The hotel location is unbeatable. Right on the lake, steps to beautiful parks, trails, beaches. Who knew!

The hotel is beautiful. Some great moments we had were taking the free boat shuttle to the private outdoor pool and beach. The day we went over it was 100 degrees. The pool is on the same property as their amazing golf course with floating green.

We ate at a couple of the restaurants and the food was good and not too pricey. There are a few choices of restaurants.

The only two things that stopped me from giving this resort a 5 star rating was the beds in our room and the parking. The beds although comfortable, were only doubles. We are a family of three. So my wife and I who are normal size people were not all that comfortable in a double. We stayed in room 246. My opinion is that doubles should be outlawed from higher end hotels...or any hotel for that matter. Queens should be the standard.

The second issue I had was the $17 parking fee. This to me was a money grab. The secure parking is nice, but this is Coeur D'Alene, not downtown Seattle or Vancouver. Maybe a smaller fee like $5 or $8 a day. I am staying in downtown Chicago at the River North Best Western and they have free parking. I have stayed in many big cities in fact and this is right up there in price for parking. I would prefer they raise the price $10 and let me park for $7. I hate nickel and dime situations.

One last little issue was the free wifi. It was free, but in my room, the signal was annoyingly weak. A booster in the area would be suggested. Free is great only if it works. All rooms should have a similar level of service I think.

Despite these few shortcomings, it is still THE place to stay in CDA.

Room Tip: Get a lakeview balcony if you can afford it.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Paul J
Chelsea V, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Paul J,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor.com. This allows us to grow and improve to what better suits the needs of our Guests. I am glad your stay was enjoyable and I have distributed the provided information to the corresponding departments. Thank you again, hopefully we will see you back in the near future.

Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
Valencia
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. Room had a sunken living room and was spacious. It rained during our stay so we couldn't do everything we wanted, but this hotel is first class. We ate breakfast here and the food was good. There is so much to do here if you enjoy outdoor activities. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2013
Barnwesl,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.com. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your Ironman weekend with us. Our spa is one of the top attractions here, I am glad to know you were able to experience that with your family. Hopefully, we will see you back for Ironman 2014.

west linn, oregon
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My wife and daughter were with me as support for CDA Ironman 6.23.2013. Beautiful room facings the lake. Beverly restaurant great food. Two hr massage after Ironman was great. Room was great, staff nice and effective, bar service fine. Expensive, but worth it.

Room Tip: I wanted and requested a high level floor and was put on 14, nice.
Green Features: There was no evidence of a recycling program. Newspaper, plastic bottles, glass all in garbage. Hope they get recycling containers in room.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Chelsea V, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Barnwesl,

Thank you for sharing you Ironman experience on TripAdvisor.com. Congratulations on your accomplishment! I am glad to hear your family and you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we will see you for Ironman 2014.

Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The Coeur d'Alene Resort is a nice property, and I expected a great experience. There were several hiccups upon check-in. We arrived a couple hours prior to guaranteed check-in; however, one of the receptionists took all of our information including credit card and said that she would call us when the room was ready. No problem. We simply went out for a bite to eat. A couple hours went by and it was then past guaranteed check-in time. We went back to the hotel to discover that the our first staff member misplaced our paperwork.

The next day, my husband and I were scheduled for a couple's massage. I'd heard and read great reviews about their spa. After getting checked in, I got changed and met my husband in the relaxation room. He looked at me surprised and informed me that I had a great big whole in the back of the robe they had given me to wear. Not what is to be expected in a top-rated spa, but not a problem.

The next morning at 9a, I had a face to face conversation with the events coordinator and explained that my husband follows a restricted diet and asked her if they could accommodate him at that evening's gathering. She said it was not a problem that something would be ready for him and to simply let the evening staff know when he arrived. That evening at 6p, the staff was not at all prepared. After scrambling around trying to figure out what happened, they were able to accommodate.

The next day, I went to their onsite Starbucks and realized that $300.00 had been taken from my wallet. I had left my handbag buried in the closet a few times when housekeeping had been in the room, which was the ONLY time my bag was not on my arm. I met with the manager on duty, Tina, and told her my story. She then got security's Jeremy involved, who filed a report. Jeremy told me that it might be a few days before he would be able to get back with me, which was fine. Two weeks went by without any word from the resort. I called and left a message for Tina and asked her to call me. It has now been one month and I have yet to hear anything from the Coeur d'Alene Resort. I do understand that I should have been more mindful and taken the extra time to climb up to the safe. I would expect, however, that this highly rated resort would follow up on their commitments.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Lisa T
Chelsea V, General Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Lisa T,

Thank you for speaking with me regarding your visit to the Resort in May. The constructive comments expressed by our Guests assists us greatly as we strive to upgrade our facilities and improve upon our services. Please accept my personal apologies for the poor communication we displayed with regard to the missing item from you room. I will review this topic with out Director of Security for his awareness and appropriate corrective action. The reimbursement of the missing funds should have reached you by now. Please, contact me immediately if you have any further questions.

Douglas Burnett
Resident Manager
Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This is one of the most well kept hotels I've stayed at. It isn't a new property but you'd think it is much newer than it actually is.

The staff has always been friendly and helpful. They are knowledgeable about the area and the resort.

The entertainment in the lounge was very good and not too loud. You could hear the people talking that were with you and didn't have to shout to hold a conversation.

The resort is across the street from good shopping and a multitude of places to eat. Many pubs are close by too. This is a good place for kids and if you have a boat.

Room Tip: Some rooms look towards town and some have a view of the lake. There is a Park being currently cons...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Treedfrog,

Thank you very much for sharing your Resort experience on TripAdvisor.com. The staff loves hearing positive feedback from our loyal guests. We hope to see you back in the near future.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The Coeur d'Alene Resort is one of those places I would recommend someone try to visit once just for the experience but not the kind of place I would frequent often. I put it in the same league as The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island in Michigan. Great setting, nice facilities, etc. but several (mostly little) things that make it fall short of expectations for a high end place. Little things like pitifully bad coffee for the in room coffee maker. I know, there's a Star Bucks downstairs and they want you to spend money but really? I just want a cup of coffee when I get up so couldn't they make it a positive? Also, having to pay for internet service at $10 a day. Or, the bad, expensive meal at the "Docksider" restaurant. Frankly, these are all issues I have with most higher end resorts. For $350+ a day, it just seems like they should make things high quality or not do them at all. On the positive side, very nice facility, great rooms (fireplace is a nice touch) and an outstanding view. Nice spa and fitness facility as well as great little hiking trails on Tubbs Hill. The golf course is immaculate and includes a floating green that they move around.

Room Tip: The higher the better with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Etatk,

We greatly appreciate your constructive criticism and will definitely pass along this information to all the relative departments as well as the General Manager. As far as our internet service, it is complimentary to all guests of the hotel from your rooms and the hotel lobby. I apologize if you were given the wrong information. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Oregon
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We have stayed at the Coeur d’Alene Resort several times and have always found the facilities and service to be exceptional. This was largely true for our most recent stay, but we did find that the resort is slipping in a couple areas.

I had asked for a quiet room and was given a corner deluxe room on the fifth floor with a lake view. There is a restaurant and bar located on the seventh floor and we found that the music from the bar was quite loud in our room. This lasted until 11:00 pm on a Wednesday night. I was informed that the music continues much later on the weekends.

We arrived before the check-in time and were told that our room was not ready. We expected that this might be the case as the resort was full the night before. When we inquired as to when our room might be ready, we were told that they were not allowed to estimate any time other than the published check-in time of 4:00pm. We have never heard this from any hotel in the past.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. The views are outstanding, the staff friendly, and everything was well maintained. With a little more attention to detail, the resort could return to the excellent facility we have enjoyed in the past.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not get noise from the bar.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank jrtraveller
Jrtraveller,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.com. We greatly appreciate the given feedback and will take your comments and suggestions into consideration. Thank you for being a continued supporter of the Hagadone Corporation and all of it's entities. Please, feel free to contact me when booking your next room to ensure a perfect stay.