“Large rooms with great views in a beautiful location”

The Coeur d'Alene Resort
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tavernier, FL
“Large rooms with great views in a beautiful location”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This resort has an excellent location on the lake with great views from most rooms as well as public spaces. Staff was very efficient and friendly. I couldn't get a good wifi signal from my room and they brought in a wireless router for my room that solved the problem right away. Although the bed could have been a little more comfortable, the room itself was large and comfortable. The property is located within an easy walk of downtown as well as a large park on the lake. Breakfast at the Dockside restaurant was tasty and the morning view of the lake was breathtaking. Although I was there on business I would love to return on vacation.

Room Tip: A lake view room would be well worth considering.
1 Thank scuba_mark
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your visit to the Coeur d' Alene Resort. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
Moscow, ID
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed here 3 nights to attend a conference. The special conference rate made it a good value. Because I was here on business, I did not really use the resort amenities. It's nice, attractive, with friendly and attentive staff. I had a room with a marina/lake view -- very pretty. The room was nice size, comfortable king bed, love seat and chair for sitting around, desk. One wall was mirrors, adding to the sense of light and space. Fairly quiet. Clean. Very nice stone tile work and walk-in shower. Cushy white cotton bathrobes. In room coffee.
Internet connection in the room was easy but signal was weak; had some trouble with the temperature control and had to mess with the thermostat a lot.
There was a lot of construction going on in the street and area adjoining the resort, so you have to work your way through that but then you're in and it's no problem.
I didn't try out any of the restaurants on site, but ordered room service once and it was good and delivered in a timely manner.
Nice fitness room. Since it rained a lot while I was there, I used the fitness room three times. Several cardio machines (treadmill, elliptical, etc) plus free weights and weight machines. Pool area has strong chlorine smell, but still I enjoyed some time in the Jacuzzi with friends and then a dip in the pool.
I especially like the location along the lake, with access to bike/pedestrian paths along the lake, where I walked despite the weather. You can also walk right across the street into the nice area of downtown shops, boutiques, and restaurants.

Green Features: It didn't seem like they had environmentally friendly practices. No recycling.
2 Thank roam-ID
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for your recent visit to the Resort. We appreciate your kind comments regarding your stay. The city park construction project is nearing completion and we are all very excited about how nice the new park will be.
Helena
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The Coeur d'Alene resort in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho has the perfect spot on the lake. The huge windows in the lobby, and the even larger deck invite visitors to stay awhile. The rooms are large and impeccably clean, and the staff is very helpful. I stayed there for a conference, but would definitely return as a vacation visitor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks out over the lake
Green Features: I seek out hotels with environmentally-friendly practices, and thank the Coeur d'Alene resort for theirs!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your visit. We appreciate you being our Guest and look forward to your return sometime soon.
Oregon USA
Reviewed 25 April 2014

In November 2013 we wanted to have a romantic get-a-way. We had visited Coeur d'Alene before but never stayed at the CDA Resort so we decide to stay there for a couple of days. So glad we did.

The Resort has an incredible location, it's a beautiful facility, terrific staff and a great restaurant. We took several long walks along the lake, walked into town regularly and one afternoon spent hours in the restaurant enjoying the great food (best French fries in the pacific northwest - you've got to try them). We used most of the on-site services (including the pool and spa; the restaurant and lounge; the on-site Starbucks; the on-site store; and beauty salon) --- everything was good to excellent. We had planned to stay 2 nites - we stayed for 5. We'll go back.

Room Tip: the manager helped us get into a room that I think they say has a "marina view" - perfect...
Green Features: we were mostly focused on each other (romantic get-a-way) and the lake so can't really comment on this.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you for your recent visit to the Resort and your kind comments regarding your stay with us. We look forward to your return...how many days next time? We appreciate you being our Guest.
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stopped going about 8-10 years ago as it was getting run down and lost the "special place" it was supposed to be. Returned last weekend and was very imressed overall. Decor is updated and very nice. Dined in Beverly's and had a great meal and superb service. Had appetizers twice in the afternoons in Whispers bar and again, superb service! Good drinks and good appetizers also. Used the gym and the equipment is the best exercise equipment I ahve ever usde in a hotel. Also went to the spa for massage (mine was ok, hers was great) and pedicure (yes, I did get a pedicure) and it was also great. Robert Vaughn is an outstanding musician, plays in Beverly's lounge most nights!!!Rooms overlooking the lake are wonderful. Price is not cheap by anymeans but this is once again a wonderful retreat and special escape. Only negative is they way they honk you for parking ($22 per night valet)

Room Tip: 1772, you get HVAC noise, do not take this top floor room. In general, rooms overlooking the lake ar...
Green Features: They do not appear to support conservation, at least not visibly.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Welcome Back.....Thank you for your kind comments regarding your visit to the Resort. We appreciate your compliments regarding our recent renovation and staff service and look forward to your return sometime soon.
Redmond, Washington, United States
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The Coeur d’Alene Resort will get the most mixed review I’ve ever written, as it was the oddest combination of amazing and problematic that I’ve encountered.
First, I had booked the room over the phone, requesting a quiet, lake view, non-fireplace room (which are floors up to 8, I believe, and cheaper than the fireplace rooms above that). I have read enough reviews to know the Lake Tower is the only way to go.
The very friendly and helpful woman I spoke with said she would put us on the 5th floor, which she said is quieter than 6 or 8, since there is a restaurant on the 7th.
When we arrived, we were told the 5th floor was not an option. Something about a gathering on the 4th that could become louder than they would want to subject us to….. I was rather confused with the explanation, because the person checking us in first said it was a book club, but when I suggested that I couldn’t imagine a quieter gathering, she said it was a Fraternity group…. Still trying to imagine a fraternity book club, so I gave up trying. :-)
Not sure what the truth was, although we did later realize it was prom night, with lots of excited dressed-up groups at dinner, and exhausted kids carrying their fancy duds out of the elevators in the morning…. so who knows.
Anyway, she said they were going to upgrade us to a fireplace room on the 14th floor, so we were quite happy, and grateful that the management was taking care of their guests in this situation!
The room layout was very impressive, stepping down from the bed area to a sunken living area with huge glass windows facing the spectacular view of the lake and surrounding hills. Can't beat it! There was a nice little deck, which was perfect for a cup of coffee, glass of wine, or an afternoon with a book when the weather cooperated.
The interior was nicely designed, and quite attractive. The TV was on a pivot, so could be set to the perfect angle for watching from anywhere, and the fireplace was an extra benefit. This room was on a corner, so we also got an extra little bay window next to the bed, where I envisioned reading, looking out at the view of the city park next door.
Unfortunately, through our 3 night stay, we found some issues that made even this amazing room less than perfect…..

Let me begin by saying that overall this was a wonderful place, and we would love to be able to stay there again. Not sure we could have afforded this type of room, unfortunately, if we hadn’t been upgraded, since I feel this resort is a bit over-priced. Everyone we dealt with, from front desk to housekeeping, and restaurant staff were friendly, efficient and very helpful. But there are many ways the experience could be improved, so I do hope the hotel managers are paying attention to reviews!
And I hope anyone reading this will get a clear picture of things to be aware of. I have a lot of little comments, which I hope will be helpful to someone!

*Mid-April 2014, There was a great deal of construction going on in front of the hotel, which made walking around very difficult, and cut off access to the trails at the nearby Tubbs Hill park. We were assured our room would face the other side, so we would not be disturbed by the noise of the construction work. What they didn’t mention was that the city park was also under construction on our side of the hotel, so when they began work at about 6:15AM, we were awakened by the beeping trucks below. Not a great start to a vacation day!
Obviously this is all temporary, but it was unfortunate. I think they should have further discounted room rates during this period of construction. Particularly since we had specifically told them we wanted a quiet room!
*The windows do not seal well, so not only does all of that outside noise come right in (whether it is dump trucks or geese honking at all hours, or the lake cruise boats rumbling below) but they also leak a lot of cold air, making parts of the room drafty and cold. We almost wished we didn’t have that extra “amenity” of the side-facing windows, as that put both the noise and breeze right next to the bed (at night we had to stack stuff against the window shutters to cut down on the cold draft!) The windows and patio door on the lake-view wall also leaked air, but weren’t near the bed, and during the daytime when we were there it was sunny, so it actually was a bit too warm at times, even with the cool outside air coming in. I wondered if the summer sun would make the room and deck way too warm?..... Bottom-line: if they really want to be energy-efficient, it is time for window replacement (low-e glass!) or at least complete weather-sealing!
*The extra bay windows are covered with shutters, but when we opened those, we discovered very dirty glass, which combined with the view over the park construction site, made this a much less attractive spot. The park will be ready soon, and the view to the hills beyond was lovely though. But they need to wash the windows! They shouldn’t expect people will just leave the shutters closed, with so much to look at!
**I must say, when that park is finished, it will be an amazing place. Might be fun to look out on, and certainly a huge amenity for families with kids (the play areas look fantastic!) But I wonder how much noise it will generate, especially if they use the amphitheater section for concerts. Just something to ask about if you go in the summer.
*The bathroom, while beautiful, has a horrible layout, which really takes away from the feeling of the room as a whole. The bathroom takes a lot of space, but the way it is split up makes it feel quite cramped. There is a nice long counter with 2 sinks, opposite a long closet and a little shelf area, but not quite enough walking space to feel luxurious..… And there is the strangest, narrow, double door from that section into the bath/toilet area. It is the sort of door you’d expect for a small closet, not a luxury resort bathroom! And it would be absolutely impossible for a wheelchair or walker to get through this narrow opening! Once inside this part of the room, you face the toilet, with a tub next to it, and a very narrow shower on the far end. I would much prefer to have a bigger shower, but they could have fit all of this in so much better with a different layout. The tile work is lovely, but it just all feels unnecessarily cramped, especially the shower.
*The tub also betrayed the age of the place, as the spout was pulled away from the wall a bit, leaving a couple of inches of copper pipe exposed, as it poked out of the hole in the tile wall. Not nice at all, and a point where real water damage could occur. In addition, the showerhead dripped a lot, which again displays the irony of their energy saving efforts. Why should I reuse a towel at an expensive resort when the plumbing wastes a lot of water?
*We mentioned the plumbing issues to the front desk, along with the horrible squeaking of the hinges of the little bathroom doors, which was quite disruptive whenever someone closed them, so hopefully it has been fixed by now….… I just wished I could re-design the whole area for them!
*One other unnecessary disruption was from housekeeping on our first full day there. When we left for several hours in the morning, we had turned on the “Please make up room” light. There was someone cleaning the next room, so we assumed everything would be ready when we returned. But no. We planned to stay in for a few hours to watch the Masters Golf on TV, so had to work around the housekeeper when she came much later in the day than we would have expected (also the “honor bar” attendant…. Sure wish we could have had them remove all of the things from the little fridge and shelf so we could have used that space for the snacks and wine we brought with us, which instead stayed in an ice-filled cooler!)
A few other overall resort issues:
*There are many signs at the front of the resort pointing toward “The Shops” across the way. But something about the way they are designed makes the entrance to this little “mall” look more like the door to an office complex. There is a sign on one that indicates this is not the entrance to one bar, but doesn’t feel like it is welcoming you to anything else, so we didn’t realize it was there until we had dinner at Tito’s, and discovered the whole place hidden inside! This is a nice little collection of shops (including a toy store that kids would love) so I think they should make the entrance more clear, either with a more welcoming design, or at least signage to indicate what shops are within.
*Perhaps I’m a bit dense, since not only did it take a couple of days to discover the inside of this little mall, but I never did know if there was a pool onsite. But I was stunned to discover that the advertised infinity pool and the famous resort golf course are actually several miles away! I had expected them to be at the main resort property, and was glad we weren’t hoping to be able to just walk out the door to use those! And when we ventured over there for a look, we asked “when does the pool open?” expecting something like “noon” but instead were told “sometime in May”…..
I understand in the summer the resort runs a water taxi between the locations, but it is unfortunate that it isn’t all in the same place so a family could be a bit more independent with different activities in the same area! The advertising sure doesn't make a point of this little drawback!
*Having to pay $17/day to park in the garage (on the upper floors only, after passing several floors of mostly-unused valet spots) seems a bit outrageous in this small town. We paid less than that at the Davenport in the middle of downtown Spokane, where parking is at a premium. It would be so nice if the resort could offer free parking for guests, and keep the pay parking for non-hotel visitors. We just felt we were being “nickeled and dimed” a bit….

Again, all in all, this is a very nice hotel (as it should be for the price) and the location is spectacular. There don’t seem to be any other hotels right on this amazing lake, which reminds me of Lake Tahoe many years ago, so this is the best place to really enjoy it. But it is truly a “special occasion” place, and there are a few things they should improve to really make it that.

Room Tip: Lake tower on the lake view side. perhaps avoid floors 6-8 due to restaurant on 7. Corner room has...
Green Features: need to upgrade their plumbing and windows to reduce water and energy use if they expect us to reuse linens!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Susan R
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for being our Guest and the informative review regarding your visit. I have shared your notes with members of our resort staff to ensure appropriate awareness of how we can improve our facilities and services. The city park project will soon be completed and the results will be a dramatic improvement to the surrounding area. We hope that you will have an opportunity to return to the resort sometime soon and experience these upgrades. Thank you
Fritz Creek, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I read some of the reviews of this resort and was hesitate to book a room since some of them were not all that great. We decided to stay here for the first two days of our stay and we loved every minute of it! We used the Spa and everyone there was wonderful. Very friendly staff who make you feel relaxed and comfortable. We ate several times at the Dockside Restaurant and every meal was top notch! The view of the lake while you dine is beautiful. The shops are fun to explore and have great items. Our room was quiet, very clean and comfortable. The heater wasn't working when we got in the room and someone came up and fixed it right away. We were there in early April so it was a little chilly yet at night but the days warmed up to 70 degrees! I would stay here again anytime!

Room Tip: We had a city view room but the view was still very nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jan J
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for being our Guest earlier this month. We appreciate your kind comments regarding your visit.