“Disappointing stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Disappointing stay”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at the Coeur d'Alene Resort for 3 nights for a conference. The town was beautiful and though I would be tempted to return for a vacation, I would not choose this hotel.

Pros:
- The bathroom was quite spacious. There were double vanities, which was very convenient since I was sharing a room. The water pressure in the shower was strong.
- The public areas featured plenty of seating and were modern and well-designed,
- The catering for the conference was very good and was a step about typical hotel food.
- Housekeeping services were great.

Cons:
- Front desk service was abysmal and left a poor taste in my mouth throughout the stay. I booked a Lake View 2 Double Bed room, though the hotel website had a disclaimer that they were not guaranteeing room or bed types due to the conference. At 8 am on the morning of check-in, I called to find out that I had been assigned a room with a king+sofa sleeper. I asked to be re-assigned to a room with 2 double beds and was fed a standard line about the hotel being fully booked; I did not get the impression that the clerk was apologetic or even tried to be accommodating. Check-in was busy and I had to wait in line. The associate was very brusque and did not smile once or welcome me to the hotel. She also refused to re-assign me to another room. On the day of checkout, I called at 6 am to ask for late check-out (I only needed 30 minutes). I was again fed a standard line about their hotel being at capacity and no late checkouts were being granted that day, though I later heard from other conference attendees that they were able to get checkout extended by 1 hour. On one occasion, I stopped by the front desk to ask for change from a big bill. Two people were working. The first male clerk that I approached told me he did not have a cash box and sent me to wait on the other female associate, who was obviously occupied with a disgruntled guest and prolonged situation. After standing around for a few minutes with the first guy pointedly ignoring me, I walked away.
- My room was horrible. The sleeper sofa was extremely uncomfortable, and my roommate and I ended up sharing the slightly more comfortable king bed. Our room faced a blank wall and had no natural light. All the lamps had to be on even in the middle of the day, just to get decent light.
- Do not book the hotel's shuttle service from Spokane airport. I made a shuttle reservation via the hotel website and never got an email confirmation. It took 2 phone calls and an unreturned message before I could confirm my reservation. That should have been my first sign that they do not have their act together. My flight was delayed 90 minutes, which threw off the shuttle schedule. I ended up waiting for 1 hour and 20 minutes at the airport before our bus left. This would have been understandable if the driver was upfront about the wait, but he told us 30 minutes at first then kept promising that we were just waiting a few more minutes. I should have booked with a private shuttle company as colleagues on the same delayed flight were able to walk off the plane and depart on their shuttle immediately. The driver kept blaming the delayed flight, but if you operate an airport shuttle, you have to be prepared for flight delays!

Overall, I would not recommend the Coeur d'Alene Resort. Perhaps you can blame the busy conference for throwing them off their game, but if they accept such business, then they should be prepared to deal with the crowds.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
10 Thank Yvonne C
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your recent visit to the Resort. I will share your notes with the respective department managers for their awareness and immediate corrective action. We appreciate you being our Guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
Fogelsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We chose the Couer D Alene resort for its proximity to the start of the Ironman on June 29th but the location was only one of many great things about this resort. The room was spacious and had a great view of the lake and the mountains. What impressed me most was how accomodating and pleasant the staff was - they truely made you feel at home and no detail was a bother for them to help with. The morning of the race that had extended hours for room service and my breakfast arrived at 5AM sharp as planned. I wish we would have had more time and energy to explore the area by boat or plane (yes sea plane rides take off right in front of the resort). The food in the restaurants was good and our 2 dinners at Beverlys was as good as any restaurant we have been to. I can't imagine staying anyplace else and need to come back when I am not doing the Ironman. The room prices were high because of the Ironman but the quality and service matched the expectation from the high price. Not having the pool right at the hotel was a little inconvenient but it is only a short drive or boat ride away. We had lunch at the golf course restaurant on the patio and had a great view of the "floating green" and the lake.

Room Tip: a view of the lake is a must. we were on the 16th floor and had a corner room which was perfect.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ed f
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for being our Guest during the popular Ironman Triathalon event. We appreciate your kind comments regarding your stay and look forward to your return visit sometime soon.
Dublin, CA
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I joined our friends at Coeur d'Alene Resort for 4th of July. We stayed at the resort for 5 nights and loved our stay. The resort has everything you could want in one spot, restaurants, cafe, lounge, spa, indoor pool, and shops. Plus there is a free water taxi that will take you over to the golf course area for the outdoor pool and beach; and golf. My husband and I do not play golf, but there was plenty to do at the resort the 5 days we were there. Plenty to do at the resort or walk along Sherman Ave (just a block up) to shop and dine, or walk around the city park and beach nearby. My husband and I took the sea plane tour over the lake one morning and loved seeing the lake from the air, the pilot was very good and informative.

Our room was very comfortable and had a great view of the lake. Room includes the amenities you would expect at a resort, bathrobes, mini bar/frig, hairdryer, iron, safe, etc. The bed was very comfortable,my husband has back problems; so that is very important to us. Our room was #1491; which is at the very end of the hallway, so was very quiet; also very nice.

We had breakfast a couple of mornings at Dockside; very good food and service. Other mornings, I could get my Starbucks fix from the cafe in the lobby; another perk I enjoyed. One evening after a night out, we had dessert at Dockside; I highly recommend Gooey's desserts; (may want to consider sharing). We had drinks at Whispers lounge nearly every evening, either inside or outside on the patio (which is very nice with firepits); again the staff was very friendly and I enjoyed trying their special Huckleberry drinks. The resort offers shuttle service to and from some area restaurants. We had dinner at Cedars floating restaurant one evening; which is great to be able to have dinner and drinks with friends without worrying about driving; just tell your server when you are ready to leave and they contact the resort shuttle service.

I never did find time to try the spa. I did tour it; and it looks fantastic. I look forward to going back and trying their spa services. I was surprised that the prices at the gift shop at the resort was comparative to the local shops; I bought several Huckleberry food items from the gift shop for friends.

We really enjoyed our stay at the resort over the 4th of July, everyone we met was friendly. We look forward to making a trip in the fall or winter to compare. We have heard CDA has great Christmas lights.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KVadenca
Thank you for your kind review of the Resort. It was nice to see that you enjoyed many of our popular activities and amenities during your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Excellent getaway . Beautiful rooms for everyones taste. Great shopping on main level and on Sherman Avenue. Food is fantastic, staff is wonderful & very accomadating. Shuttle boats take you to their beautiful 18 hole golf coarse that has a computerized island green on the 14th hole on the lake.
Ate @ the wonderful Asian resturant, Bonsi Bistro, across the street from the resort. Absolutely devine & reasonable prices.Outdoor seating and a beautiful sushi bar inside, great service and cuisine. You won't go wrong going there. Always something going on at the resort such as parasailing, plane rides, georgeous park, swimming area, marina etc. Enjoy, and tell them we sent you!!!!!!

Room Tip: We chose to stay in a beautiful suite on the 11th floor overlooking the lake and marina. It also had...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent visit to the Resort. I will share your kind reviews with our Resort staff members and pass along your compliments to our popular Bonsai Bistro Restaurant staff as well.
Nampa, Idaho
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This trip, I had the opportunity to stay in a room at the CDA Resort overlooking the lake. It was a beautiful view from the room with fireplace, patio and sitting area; a perfect retreat. The service was exceptional as always. Since I was the organizer for a business group, and it was raining, the bell desk accommodated us with extra umbrellas for our outdoor activity. This was a lifesaver for us and very much appreciated. Way to go bell desk. We ate at Dockside in the hotel. Suggest if you order one of their sundaes to share it!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kare P
Thank you for organizing your group visit to the Resort. I'm glad to hear that everything worked out well during your stay. I will pass along your compliments to the staff.
ny
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had a wedding at Hayden Lake and stayed there first but then moved to this location. Wish we were here the entire time..it was amazing. The boat to the infinite pool was fun and special, the infinite pool is spectacular. Our room was terrific, great view and new and beautiful and large.
Lots of fun things to do ...we did a Pedal boat and a ride on the water plane. Would have done more if were there longer.
The best rate I got was by calling the hotel and asking for their best rate.
Everyone at the hotel is super helpful and sweet and wonderful...and I'm from New York!!!
Hotel is beautiful, car valet is very responsive. Dockside restaurant was disappointing...only complaint.
Best location for that area.

Room Tip: Best Rooms are in Lake Tower...they have decent views. WE stayed in room 281...HUGE...even had a se...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
We appreciate you being our Guest and will share your kind reviews with members of our Staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort sometime soon.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My family and I were traveling from Whitefish MT to CDA on Thursday 7/3 and got in late. Jamie and the Front desk went above and beyond to make our arrival and stay to notch. Thank you Jamie and CDA we had a great stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind comments regarding Jamie at the Front Desk. I will be sure to pass along your compliments.