“Beware traveling with children”

The Coeur d'Alene Resort
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Carmel
“Beware traveling with children”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Booked our room months ago to ensure we could get our entire family of four in a comfortable room 2 beds and a sleeper sofa that sleeps 5. Checked in and we were given a king bed with no other options available. They are very quick to point out that rooms are not guaranteed - I think it must be day one training for the hotel staff. Very unfortunate but during peak travel months I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. The Resort strives to meet the special requests of our Guests and we sincerely regret that you did not receive the bed type configuration that you had anticipated. I will share your notes with our reservations and front staff for their awareness and appropriate corrective action.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our $500 room (jacked up because of the Ironman), was gorgeous as it should be for that price! We enjoyed our water taxi ride to and from the pool, the pool area was beautiful and the service we received was very good. The hotel has a nice check in system that is personal and makes you feel like you can call that particular person if you have any questions. We ate at 2 restaurants and at the pool. All the food was very good and not too overpriced.

Room Tip: I've only stayed there once, and in one room, so I'm not sure about any tips, although there...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank softballmom72
Thank you for being our Guest during the popular Ironman Triathalon event. We appreciate your kind comments and look forward to your return.
ellicott city, md
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is a wonderful place to go, either with your family or with your corporate client for entertaining.
How can you not like this place. As soon as you enter your room, you get a stunning view of a lake. There is nothing like waking up in the morning and with the press of button, the curtains open up and laying in your bed, you can have a fantastic view of the lake, what a peaceful way to get up in the morning. The rooms are unique with two levels and spacious as well, you actually feel like you are at home. To add to the coziness, there is a push button fire place which I used every night during my stay, romantic indeed!
I am not a water person, but somehow I truly enjoyed my stay, actually relished it. The boat takes you to the golf course where, if you are a golfer, you get to play a very well manicured golf course, with a floating green. It is worth going there just to play that one hole!
The staff is very friendly and the food was excellent. I especially like their pastries and cakes. The main street is just a block away, so you dont feel boxed in. The main street is unique with many restaurants and some bars. I usually get bored after a day when I go away on vacation, it is tough to get bored here as you can do water sports, golf, go to town to eat, go to spa or just relax looking at the water with the mountain drop. The staff couldnt be more gracious and I know I will be going back again soon.

Room Tip: Best room to select would be a room facing the lake, most do and they are big, so are the bathrooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent visit to the Resort. We look forward to your return sometime soon.
Wilmington, MA
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed for three nights: July 9, 10, 11. We had booked several months ahead and at that time, the only room type available was the lowest category. Good and bad here and we always try and stay optimistic so here is the rundown...

Pros:
- You could walk to town in just a few minutes to enjoy great restaurants, shopping, etc.
- The overall property is nice to walk around and we really enjoyed the free 10 minute boat ride to and from the golf course to enjoy the infinitiy pool - the boat captains we had were very pleasant. Being worn out from all the activities we had done and the long ride from Glacier, etc. we took a chunk of time on our last day to just relax in the shade under an umbrella, read and take occasional dips in the pool. Get there before noon, though, to stake our your spot as it gets more crowded as the day goes on. We were a bit disappointed that the pool area closed at
6:00 p.m..... what's with that?
-Beverly's restaurant was fantastic, both food and service. If you are into wine and available, the free 4:30 wine cellar tour was worth it and the choices for the complimentary glass of wine they provide for your tour are high end.... Silver Oak Cab anyone??? The early bird 3-course dinner (before 6:30) was a fantastic deal, which made it possible for us to order a more expensive bottle of wine to accompany our dinner.
- Dockside for breakfast buffet was really good, although we are not usually buffet people. One morning was enough for us.

Cons:
- Not just here, but it irks us that all resorts now charge per day to park your car in their garage. $17.00/day here! I guess they are all taking a page from the airlines: fee everyone to death.
- When walking to our room for the first time, we got the feeling we were at the Motel 6 at a much higher price tag, pulling our luggage down an outdoor sidewalk to our room. View of the garden? Um, with this set-up, you have a view of the inside of your blinds as opening them left you exposed to anyone walking by, also pulling their luggage down the walkway. Granted, we were in the lowest category as that was all that was available when we booked (although at $250.00+ per night for what we had, we may not have chosen to go higher, anyways). I realize we were in a room equivalent to steerage at this resort, but I still hope for bed linens that are not thread-bare with holes. And who's bright idea was it to install upholstered headboards in a hotel???? It may be trendy and the latest decorating style at home, but the accumulation of dust mites over time is one consideration, and I don't believe I have to get too graphic describing what other disgusting substances could be stuck to it as you can follow what I'm getting at. Most hotels have gotten away from the germy bedspreads, so why install a non-santitizable headboard like this that would probably glow very brightly under forensic lighting.... :)
-There are no safes in the room. We needed a secure place to store some stuff so my husband called the front desk and they offered to bring us a lock box... a lock box? My husband laughed and asked what the point was of something that someone could just grab by the handle and carry away. They do have safe deposit boxes at the front desk which we used instead.
-The front desk staff were, overall, unpleasant and seemed kind of "burnt out".

In summary, we did enjoy our time here as long as we were not in our room, but if we come back to the area we will choose one of the 6 other hotels in town that got better ratings than this resort.

Room Tip: All I can say is that you will most likely be unhappy with the lower cost rooms here for the price...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank cjapaige61
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Thank you for your constructive comments. I will share your notes with the respective department managers for their awareness and appropriate corrective action.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at the Coeur d'Alene Resort for 3 nights for a conference. The town was beautiful and though I would be tempted to return for a vacation, I would not choose this hotel.

Pros:
- The bathroom was quite spacious. There were double vanities, which was very convenient since I was sharing a room. The water pressure in the shower was strong.
- The public areas featured plenty of seating and were modern and well-designed,
- The catering for the conference was very good and was a step about typical hotel food.
- Housekeeping services were great.

Cons:
- Front desk service was abysmal and left a poor taste in my mouth throughout the stay. I booked a Lake View 2 Double Bed room, though the hotel website had a disclaimer that they were not guaranteeing room or bed types due to the conference. At 8 am on the morning of check-in, I called to find out that I had been assigned a room with a king+sofa sleeper. I asked to be re-assigned to a room with 2 double beds and was fed a standard line about the hotel being fully booked; I did not get the impression that the clerk was apologetic or even tried to be accommodating. Check-in was busy and I had to wait in line. The associate was very brusque and did not smile once or welcome me to the hotel. She also refused to re-assign me to another room. On the day of checkout, I called at 6 am to ask for late check-out (I only needed 30 minutes). I was again fed a standard line about their hotel being at capacity and no late checkouts were being granted that day, though I later heard from other conference attendees that they were able to get checkout extended by 1 hour. On one occasion, I stopped by the front desk to ask for change from a big bill. Two people were working. The first male clerk that I approached told me he did not have a cash box and sent me to wait on the other female associate, who was obviously occupied with a disgruntled guest and prolonged situation. After standing around for a few minutes with the first guy pointedly ignoring me, I walked away.
- My room was horrible. The sleeper sofa was extremely uncomfortable, and my roommate and I ended up sharing the slightly more comfortable king bed. Our room faced a blank wall and had no natural light. All the lamps had to be on even in the middle of the day, just to get decent light.
- Do not book the hotel's shuttle service from Spokane airport. I made a shuttle reservation via the hotel website and never got an email confirmation. It took 2 phone calls and an unreturned message before I could confirm my reservation. That should have been my first sign that they do not have their act together. My flight was delayed 90 minutes, which threw off the shuttle schedule. I ended up waiting for 1 hour and 20 minutes at the airport before our bus left. This would have been understandable if the driver was upfront about the wait, but he told us 30 minutes at first then kept promising that we were just waiting a few more minutes. I should have booked with a private shuttle company as colleagues on the same delayed flight were able to walk off the plane and depart on their shuttle immediately. The driver kept blaming the delayed flight, but if you operate an airport shuttle, you have to be prepared for flight delays!

Overall, I would not recommend the Coeur d'Alene Resort. Perhaps you can blame the busy conference for throwing them off their game, but if they accept such business, then they should be prepared to deal with the crowds.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
10 Thank Yvonne C
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your recent visit to the Resort. I will share your notes with the respective department managers for their awareness and immediate corrective action. We appreciate you being our Guest.
Fogelsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We chose the Couer D Alene resort for its proximity to the start of the Ironman on June 29th but the location was only one of many great things about this resort. The room was spacious and had a great view of the lake and the mountains. What impressed me most was how accomodating and pleasant the staff was - they truely made you feel at home and no detail was a bother for them to help with. The morning of the race that had extended hours for room service and my breakfast arrived at 5AM sharp as planned. I wish we would have had more time and energy to explore the area by boat or plane (yes sea plane rides take off right in front of the resort). The food in the restaurants was good and our 2 dinners at Beverlys was as good as any restaurant we have been to. I can't imagine staying anyplace else and need to come back when I am not doing the Ironman. The room prices were high because of the Ironman but the quality and service matched the expectation from the high price. Not having the pool right at the hotel was a little inconvenient but it is only a short drive or boat ride away. We had lunch at the golf course restaurant on the patio and had a great view of the "floating green" and the lake.

Room Tip: a view of the lake is a must. we were on the 16th floor and had a corner room which was perfect.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ed f
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for being our Guest during the popular Ironman Triathalon event. We appreciate your kind comments regarding your stay and look forward to your return visit sometime soon.
Dublin, CA
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I joined our friends at Coeur d'Alene Resort for 4th of July. We stayed at the resort for 5 nights and loved our stay. The resort has everything you could want in one spot, restaurants, cafe, lounge, spa, indoor pool, and shops. Plus there is a free water taxi that will take you over to the golf course area for the outdoor pool and beach; and golf. My husband and I do not play golf, but there was plenty to do at the resort the 5 days we were there. Plenty to do at the resort or walk along Sherman Ave (just a block up) to shop and dine, or walk around the city park and beach nearby. My husband and I took the sea plane tour over the lake one morning and loved seeing the lake from the air, the pilot was very good and informative.

Our room was very comfortable and had a great view of the lake. Room includes the amenities you would expect at a resort, bathrobes, mini bar/frig, hairdryer, iron, safe, etc. The bed was very comfortable,my husband has back problems; so that is very important to us. Our room was #1491; which is at the very end of the hallway, so was very quiet; also very nice.

We had breakfast a couple of mornings at Dockside; very good food and service. Other mornings, I could get my Starbucks fix from the cafe in the lobby; another perk I enjoyed. One evening after a night out, we had dessert at Dockside; I highly recommend Gooey's desserts; (may want to consider sharing). We had drinks at Whispers lounge nearly every evening, either inside or outside on the patio (which is very nice with firepits); again the staff was very friendly and I enjoyed trying their special Huckleberry drinks. The resort offers shuttle service to and from some area restaurants. We had dinner at Cedars floating restaurant one evening; which is great to be able to have dinner and drinks with friends without worrying about driving; just tell your server when you are ready to leave and they contact the resort shuttle service.

I never did find time to try the spa. I did tour it; and it looks fantastic. I look forward to going back and trying their spa services. I was surprised that the prices at the gift shop at the resort was comparative to the local shops; I bought several Huckleberry food items from the gift shop for friends.

We really enjoyed our stay at the resort over the 4th of July, everyone we met was friendly. We look forward to making a trip in the fall or winter to compare. We have heard CDA has great Christmas lights.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KVadenca
Thank you for your kind review of the Resort. It was nice to see that you enjoyed many of our popular activities and amenities during your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.