“Beyond great hospitality”

Ranked #4 of 10 Coeur d'Alene B&B and Inns
Roberts MT
“Beyond great hospitality”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

What a wonderful place. My niece in Spokane got us last minute reservations. The inn is welcoming and romantic if you like beautiful old houses filled with lovely antiques. If you're looking for the brand new super king size bed and oversized walk in shower, forget it; you can get that anywhere! This place has style, personality and wonderful hosts. We had my 86 year old mother along and our host graciously moved us down a floor... at 9pm! We felt so welcomed and well taken care of - the continental breakfast was outstanding. We were unfortunately not able to dine there, but the next time we go through Couer d'Alene we will try to time it right and get dinner reservations. We'd love to stay again, sans Mom, for a romantic weekend!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathy S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Although I haven't had the pleasure of staying at the Inn, I have dined in the restaurant and highly recommend it to anyone living in or visiting the Coeur d'Alene area. The duck confit is as good as any this side of Paris, and the Kobe steak is the best I've ever tasted. Service is friendly and efficient, and is your lucky enough to be there on a night when there's live music you're in for a real treat.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cheryl S
Whidbey Island, Washington
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We loved this place. The restaurant was just about to open for the afternoon, so - yes - it took a few minutes to find the right person to answer our questions, but he was more than accommodating to our requests, and gave us all the info we needed. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. The tree-lined street near the lakefront is lovely and quiet. The third-floor kitchen/sitting area gave us additional space and made it feel like home. And, they provided us with plenty of breakfast. (The only breakfast suggestion I'd make would be to include a couple of hard-boiled eggs, especially if travelers have gluten intolerance, which one of us did. We didn't think to ask for this beforehand. Had we, I'm sure we would have been given them.)
The owners of the Inn run a catering business, and that is reflected on the dinner menu of the restaurant they operate on the main floor. We found really interesting ingredient combos in their tapas and other dishes. Combine creative, tasty food with a cozy fireplace, live music (not too loud!) and friendly service, and it doesn't get better than this.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ruth R
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Their web site does not advertise their property as a Bed and Breakfast though I thought it was by some of the reviews that I had read. The property is a restaurant that has rooms for rent. It's a Rooming House. That said when we arrived and checked in we did not get the room I had reserved. The outside appearance of the property is charming but the room we got was musty smelling with water stains on the ceiling. We stayed for two nights only for our of convience. They did serve a cold continental breakfast which was placed in the common refrigerator in the day room. So if you are looking for a B&B don't stay here. If you are looking for a musty smelling room in need of repair then you will enjoy this place. We did not eat at the restaurant on the first floor so I have no coments.

Room Tip: All the rooms are on the second floor with no elevator.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gunslinger345
hospitality9660, Owner at Greenbriar Inn, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Mr. Gunslinger, We are very sorry for you disappointing stay. I truly wish you had voiced something to me while you were here. At the very least we would have moved you to another room, or perhaps excused you from your reservation, or provided you with a refund for your first night's stay. It is true that at the end of the summer, one of our third floor guest rooms had an air conditioner that leaked condensed water down the wall above your bedroom. It took a few days to dry it out, after the problem was discovered, and then another few days to repair and paint.
As for the "bed and breakfast" portion, I will make sure that everyone answering the phone states clearly that we provide a CONTINENTAL breakfast. We are an Inn, not a B and B in the most common sense of the word. Again, my apologies for your disappointment. We always strive for the best possible guest experience for the least expenditure on your part.
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed overnight and had dinner here last year. We had a terrible experience. Granted this was last year, so my review could (hopefully) be outdated. Perhaps now they have made some significant changes since then. We read reviews before we went, but our stay didn't match up. No one greeted us when we arrived, the rug and floor in our room was dirty and needed vaccuming, the bed was the most uncomfortable we had ever stayed in (we never got to sleep), and dinner was just awful with service to match. We had an African Nut Soup that was watered down and flavorless and full of walnuts and practically nothing else. Nope, I'd never stay here again. So very disappointing that management was obviously oblivious and hadn't checked on quality or service. Like I said, maybe they've changed since.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lyn G
Dear Lyn G,
I am sorry you had such a bad experience! I wish we had heard about this when you stayed here a year ago! We always try to accommodate any complaint or concern as quickly as possible. I wish I knew which room you were staying in so I could find out which bed you are complaining about! As for our restaurant, well, I guess I am very grateful that by far the majority of our patrons do not feel as you do.
Canmore, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the beautiful Greenbriar Inn twice in August 2013 on our way through Coeur d'Alene. We enjoyed our stay in this historic inn. Everyone was so friendly. Our room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. We loved the antique furnishings. The breakfast plate and fresh fruit were delicious. We had a wonderful dinner in the restaurant. The food was amazing! We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Angela Y
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Our party of 12 (6 couples) stayed at the Greenbriar for two nights. All of us thought it was exceptional and one of the best stays of our trip. The venue is charming, an old brick home that is converted to a bed and breakfast. 3 Stories, with some rooms on the third floor, some on the second. We rented the entire house and had access to two kitchens for coffee, tea, utensils, and a refrigerator. We also had access to a living room, a second story patio overlooking the restaurant and a hot tub on the second floor. All the rooms were decorated in period style, with a historic charm that was wonderful. Some rooms had tubs, some showers only. All of our party loved everything about this. A continental breakfast was provided (a little too many carbs for my taste) but wonderful never the less. Staff were attentive and helpful. We ate at the restaurant, seated on the patio in the evening. Food was great and atmosphere superb. We would definately stay again. Coeur de Alene is a charming city with many lake front activities, swimming, paddle boards, boating, plane flights, and shopping. Good cafes and lots of interesting stores. It was the perfect place for a layover and relaxing day. I highly recommend the Greenbriar, which is within walking distance of everything.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends