“Very good authentic Mexican food”
Review of Toro Viejo

Toro Viejo
Ranked #55 of 256 Restaurants in Coeur d'Alene
Cuisines: Mexican
Coaldale, Canada
“Very good authentic Mexican food”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We decided before our trip to Coeur D Alene that we would eat Mexican at least once. There are a number of Mexican restaurants in CDA, so choosing one was a bit of a chore. Not knowing our way around CDA, we parked a couple of blocks off Sherman Ave. and started walking. We didn't get too far when we saw the sign for Toro Viejo from across a parking lot. We wandered over to the front of the shop and it looked a bit empty. After peering in through the window and seeing a few patrons, we decided to give it a try.
That was a good decision. we entered and kind of looked at each other (all wondered about the aging decor). We were seated immediately and barely got our bums in place before a basket of tortilla chips and salsa were set on the table....started to drift off to Mexico...The menu is quite diverse and we all ordered something different. I wanted one of everything, but let our waiter decide for me...I told him a burrito of his choosing would do...with Pollo.
We were very happy with our choice...the food was good, the service just as good. Value was excellent. We will go back.

• Visited August 2013

Coral Springs, Florida
“Very Good!”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I came here on a first time visit from Florida and skeptical about good Mexican restaurants in Idaho. Boy was I was wrong. Yes the place could use a cosmetic upgrade, but perhaps it's meant to be this way. In any case, the food and service was EXCELLENT. We both had fajita plates which came with generous portions of meat, peppers, and onions. Side dishes standard rice and refried beans. We asked for corn tortillas which were thick and tasty (real corn). Did I mention the salsa? Not cheap ketchup-grade, this was the real thing. Overall, Toro Viejo is much better than chain Mexican places in California and Florida and a gem for anyone who likes Mexican food.
If you visit Coeur d'Alene, and want a break from Northwest food, please check out this place in downtown and enjoy the shopping along the way. I'd come back. Now if only they made huckleberry margaritas....

• Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The food was tasteless and soggy”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I had the asada and shrimp the meat was flavorless and dry as was the shrimp the rice was also over cooked. My husband had a chile relleno and it was soggy and tasteless overall a huge dissapointment. It's not worth your money and for those of you who don't know what Mexican food is suppose to taste like that's not it at all. My kids took their food home and threw it away.Our drinks were always full but the food was just bad. Now I have to make chiles rellenos to make up for choosing the restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank NellyElk
WA
“Very authentic”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We went for lunch and it was pretty good. Service was outstanding. My drink and salsa never went empty. The atmosphere was very authentic. You feel like your in mexico. Great salsa it has some heat to it.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Razz_N_James
Hayden, Idaho
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always WONDERFUL!”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We have been frequenting Toro's since they first opened many years ago. I cannot say enough about each and every excellent dining experience. The extensive menu offers many "traditional" Mexican dishes plus so many wonderful authentic meals from their own family recipes. All the sauces, including their homemade salsa are amazing. We are particularly fond of their seafood dishes like their Camerone Toro Viejo! The restaurant staff is always friendly and the service is excellent. It's all that plus a great value, too.

Visited December 2012