“misrepresentation”

Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
San Diego, California
“misrepresentation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed here in July. I made my reservation back in April. I made my reservation, directly with the hotel, and the confirmation I received was for a King, with the request of facing the rear of the property (away from the busy front road). This was all confirmed. And, after detailed discussion, again with the hotl's front desk, they offered to provide a guest basket of amenities and wine in my room (for the special occassion).

Needless to say, when I checked in at 3pm, they had switched my room type to a Queen, and of course no consideration of the room position, and certainly not any special welcome basket!!!

After much discussion, and elevation of my blood pressure, I finally was provided a King bed (fronting the road, but that's relatively insignificant).

The attitude of the front desk was scandalous. Because they were sold out, during the busy summer season, and perhaps because I had a "discounted" rate, they decided to do things to extract best value for themselves. Anyway you think about it, a confirmed guaranteed room is what you expect; not a change of room type in their reservation system!!! And attitude to boot!!!

Other than this initial check-in experience, the hotel was the standard Express you'd expect. However, when next in Coeur d'Alene, I will stay elswhere, FOR SURE!!!

Room Tip: not at this hotel; OR not facing the road
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lawrence C
GMJenn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Coeur D'Alene, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Sir, Let me apologize to you for the disappointment in your trip to our hotel. This is NOT typical behavior for our front desk and I would like it if you would call or email me so that we coud discuss the details further. The hotel number is 208-667-3100. You can ask for Jennifer. I would greatly appreciate it. Have a great day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012 via mobile

A true fun experience for the whole family! Never expected such friendly service and genuinely warm staff which truly makes all the difference!!! Highly recomended!!! In the evening the manager's BBQ was a beautiful event which provided free hamburgers, hot dogs as well as wine and beer to all guests - kids want to come back! The wife was super happy with the guest laundry facility which allowed her to catch up on the whole trip's laundry...

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
GMJenn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Coeur D'Alene, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
We are happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. See you next time.
Covington, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

We stayed here 4 nights while taking a family trip to Silverwood Theme Park. Silverwood is about a 30 minute drive from this hotel. Upon our arrival on a Sunday afternoon, the staff was very friendly and helpful. They were able to meet our request of a room away from the elevator without any issues at all. We stayed in room 301, a corner room on the front side of the hotel. The corner room offered an extra window which was nice. Just need to make sure to keep those block out shades closed tightly if you don't want to wake at the crack of dawn! Since this hotel is right off the freeway on a busy road, there is road noise. It was very warm out so we had the air and fan on all night so the road noise was not an issue for us. To avoid this noise, just request a room on the back side of the hotel. You will have a nice view of trees.

The hotel breakfast was very nice. The best selection of breakfast items we have encountered. Coffee, tea, cinnamon rolls, pancakes, eggs, bacon or sausage, biscuits and gravy, bagels/cream cheese, muffins, toast, french toast, yogurt, fruit, milk, juice. All of this every day. It was busy during breakfast, but we had no trouble finding a place to sit. We chose the patio each day. The hotel was full a couple of the nights we were there, and we ate about 8:30 - 9:00 am. We did see people taking food back to their rooms, so looks like that was an option for those who didn't want to eat in the dining room.

Mid week they have a complimentary dinner for guests. We never took advantage of it, but it was nice to know we could have if we wanted to. There were also cookies and milk each night. Nice treat for the end of the day.

One of the reasons we chose this hotel was that it was non-smoking. The last night we were there we had a distinct odor of cigarette smoke coming in our room from the hallway. It was pretty strong. Gave a quick call to the front office and they apologized said they would track it down right away. I ended up putting a towel down at the bottom of the door to stop it from coming in and it worked like a charm! They must have found the culprit, because by the morning, the smell was gone.

Before we went to Silverwood on the first day, I went to the front desk and asked for some tips. The girl I spoke with was full of great info and we had a better idea of what to expect and what to do.

The hotel is a bit pricey in our opinion. I know they say they are priced right for the area, but we will just have to agree to disagree on that one. The rates are the only reason we are giving this a rating of 4 instead of 5.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of hotel are quieter. Corner rooms have an extra window.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pattimelton
GMJenn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Coeur D'Alene, responded to this review, 18 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I apologize for the individual who decided to smoke in the hotel. We are 100% non-smoking and have the guest sign at check-in that they will not smoke in our hotel. We do our best to locate the situation and take care of it right away. As far as our breakfast, we offer all those items year round. We try to have something for everyone including gluten free guests. If ever back in the area we hope you choose our property again. Until then, Safe travels.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

We will stay here again and again! The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful! The breakfast selection was one of the best we have seen! The hotel was clean, clean and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay!! Back patio and outdoor firepit...made this a unique place to stay!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Dangieb
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you We srtrive hard to keep a clean hotel and have the friendliest desk staff anywhere. Come back and visit us anytime!
Star,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

This is my third stay in Coeur d'Alene. This one is for work and they are paying and I was pointed to HIE due to a corporate deal.

Upon check-in the front desk staff was excellent, being courteous, professional, and quick. Warm cookies were laid out with cold milk next to the counter and the hotel mascot Dodger slept quietly behind the counter. Anytime I had a question or a need later the staff was quick and courteous.

My room was very clean, modern, and well laid out. I had the small suite with couch an seperate living space with a seperate 2nd TV, as the regular rooms were filled up. This came in handy mid-week when my wife and son showed up. The bed and couch was comfortable, though a little more drawer space would be helpful for this size room.

Every day while I worked the staff did an excellent job cleaning and maintaining. Every morning breakfast was very good for hotel buffets, with eggs, bacon/sausage, biscuits, gravey, pancakes, and the typical assortment of continetal style items like fruit, yogurt, muffins, etc.

Amazingly, mid week the dinner buffet along with beer/wine was decent. Salad was particularly good. One night we had BBQ pork sandwiches which were very good, pasta the next night was so-so. For the price, free, for a family or a busy employee working from an office on a tight budget it went a long way to making the value rating rise.

The only downside I saw was that despite the setting of Coeur d'Alene, the placement of the hotel offered no real view to enjoy, so I simply wished they picked a location with a little view. The location was well placed in term access and was right next to a nice center with some great restraunts and a movie theater and 5 minutes from anything else in town including the lake and river.

We have traveled often with up to 3 boys and this small suite could easily handle 4 or 5, which makes it a good deal when you throw in food.

Room Tip: Bottom floor outside rooms can be accessed directly from parking lot, which is convenient for not ca...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Brian K
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have the friendliest front desk staff and the best amenities to offer in Coeur d alene. We look forward to having you stay with us again. Safe Travels,
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Lobby is nice and front desk staff friendly. Pool and spa were fine. Room was adequate. Complimentary hot breakfast was good. Hotel was sold out both nights we were there and so breakfast was crowded and staff was having a hard time keeping up with replenishing the buffet.

It was very nice, and I know the area is pricey during peak season, but I thought it was bit much to pay($150-200/nt) for a Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
GMJenn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Coeur D'Alene, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Thak you for staying with us during our busiest time of the year! I am sorry you didn't feel the value in our hotel while you stayed with us. Summer time can be a very busy and hectic time of year as well as higher prices due to the entire town of Coeur d Alene selling out most of the time. I suggest you may want to visit us in the off season where it isn't so hectic and the prices are typically lower than the summer.I do apperciate your business and hope you try us out in the off season. I am sure you won't be disappointed. Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Holiday Inn Express. I do apprecdiate it.
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

This is a pet friendly hotel, with its own pet customer service manager - Dodger - a local rescue from a shelter. The hotel staff is friendly and the hotel offers a number of nice amenities including a manager's reception three days a week and free breakfast every day. There is also a massage therapist who is available in evenings. The location is perfect for exploring the Pacific Northwest and the community of Coeur d'Alene is very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the back of the hotel for a balcony you can actually go out on...rooms on the front...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I have the best staff at this HIE and am very proud of that. Hope you are able to come back to the Coeur d Alene area and visit again soon.