“Best breakfast in town!!”
Review of Japan House Suites

Japan House Suites
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
Reviewed 3 September 2012

me being from Montana and growing up I a ranch I had some damn good omelettes but they were nothing compared to the Japanese omelette I ate today.Also the beds are soo soft and the rooms are clean. And u don't have to worry about being home sick here I practically felt like I was at home here. Defiantly the best place to stay in this beautiful town. I guarantee you'll love it as much as me!

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank MontanaBruins62
There are newer reviews for Japan House Suites

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Breakfast was not great, bed was comfortable, definitely friendly staff. A little too far from the downtown area and all other amenities like shopping and restaurants requiring a drive to for these things.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PrairieGirl2010
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights. I cannot dispute that the owner/hosts are among the friendliest you will ever meet at a motel. They are extremely eager to please and generally available all the time. That said, there are pros and cons to Japan House -
PROS
Friendly owners
An on-site inn cat
Immaculately clean and maintained
Comfy beds and bedding
Above average quality furniture in the room

CONS
Despite the name, these are one-room typical motel rooms, not suites
Price is higher than other comparable motels in town (we stayed in two other local places)
Towels are absorbent but some are very worn and stringy
If atmosphere/decor is important, there is none here. The rooms have no pictures or colorful touches ... everything is beige, white or brown inside and out
No hair dryer in the room, you must ask for one. The obvious effort to conserve costs is evident in this way and others -- we had 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 facecloths despite being in a room with 2 queen beds.
Breakfast is cooked by Mimi and portions are very controlled. If you need a substantial breakfast, this will not do it. You choose the breakfast entree when you check in. My husband had 'steak and eggs' the first day but found the small slices of beef that had been ordered "rare" were so well done and so tough that he was unable to eat them. "Toast" means 1 piece of toast with a 1/2" square of butter and a spoonful of jam on your plate.
Location: At least a mile or more from the center of town. There were two restaurants within walking distance but nothing else.
No soda machine/must ask for ice which they will willingly get for you

Overall, I would not stay here again. The location is not convenient unless you are willing to drive to everything and we liked the other two (cheaper but better) places much more.

Room Tip: Kim tries to put couples upstairs and families downstairs. All rooms face the street so none is bet...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank janiewall
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of spending a couple nights at Japan House Suites this week. It was beyond our expectations. We read several awesome reviews on this property, and we were not disappointed! Kim and Mimi made our stay most enjoyable.
The room was perfect. Very comfortable and exceptionally clean. There is no doubt that pride in ownership shows throughout.
We even borrowed some towels while we spent a day on the lake. They were more than happy to help us out. As we were on motorcycles, we didn't pack any! They even offered some towels and such to clean up the bikes.
Now onto Mimi's breakfast. WOW. That lady can cook up an awesome meal. We had different things each day, but my personal favorite would have to be the steak and eggs.
When staying in the CDA area, don't hesitate in spending a night or two with Kim and Mimi.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yellowdukk
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Friendly innkeepers, great individually prepared breakfasts, clean and comfortable. Not right in center of downtown, but only 7-10 minute car ride. definitely would return and recommend highly. Good value.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2012

As a previous owner/inn keeper of a Bed & Breakfast in Coeur d'Alene, I'm very aware of what guests want. I've also stayed in several other hotels/motels in the area, and none of them even come close to what the Japan House Suites provides; especially for the price of their non-smoking rooms. Mimi is a wonderful cook (steak and eggs--YUM)!!!! Both Mimi and Kim are very friendly, helpful, and accessible. In the future, I won't stay anywhere else..

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Neva L
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here during a busy season and we horrified at the price for what we got. In my opinon wasn't a whole lot more then what you would find at a low budget motel.
They did have a little public jacuzzi was nice and there wasn't anything wrong with the rooms at all.

The staff we friendly enough, but if your a smoker you gotta know you have to walk to the end of the Hotel to a designated smoking area which is actualy very pleasent to smoke in.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple