“Very Unsatisfactory”

Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
Billings, Montana
“Very Unsatisfactory”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed at the Comfort Inn at Coer d'Alene, ID a couple years ago and remembered that we liked it. So, we thought it would be OK again. Obviously, our memories are not that good any more or maybe "time heals all wounds". The room was $75+tax through the Comfort Inn website.

The entrance to the Comfort Inn is a bit confusing because you have to enter using the same drive way as the IHOP. The Comfort Inn is located behind the IHOP.

The room size was acceptable with a firm bed, no sags. The room linens and towels were clean and the room was presentable even though it is of lower end quality. The room included a microwave, mini fridge, and LCD TV.

The property is showing its age, though. The lines in the parking lot are nearly faded away. The handicap parking sites are nearly non-discernible and we nearly parked in one when we don't need it.

The halls were clean but the elevator carpet could use a cleaning or change out. The metal trim in the elevator was heavily smudged with hand prints which made it seem dirty.

The TV remote control was filthy and we had to clean it before we felt comfortable using it.

There was toothpaste from previous lodgers stuck on the edge of the bathroom door. It seemed obvious that housekeepers only perform their prescribed list of duties without scanning for other needed cleaning - There will be no tip for the house keeper for this room.

I noticed we could hear running water from the shower in the room above us. Unfortunately, water noise from adjoining rooms is common to most hotels/motels. However, and even worse, when the toilet was flushed in the room above it sounded like an unbearably loud waterfall inside the wall next to our bed.

The room door transmits hall noise but it wasn't bad because there weren't many people staying that night. With the toilet flush water fall and the hall noise, I ended up sleeping with ear plugs.

We found all these discrepancies as the evening progressed so did not ask for a different room as we were staying for one night only.

Overall, the room rates about a 2 from me. I would have given it a bit more if common surfaces throughout would have been presentably clean. Then again, the water noises were pretty annoying. We will not be staying here again.

If you choose this comfort inn at least get the top floor to avoid the waterfall sounds and people walking on your head.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank klkks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Seattle
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were looking for a hotel at the last minute when most places were booked up. We booked this before, unfortunately, checking the reviews first. The hotel was in disrepair and quite filthy in places. For example, the pool was gross, with mold on the ceiling, a broken window and glass door, a clock with dead batteries that was just hanging there, and rusty door frames. The entire place looked like the staff just didn't care. Our room was mostly clean, but we found a small bloodstain on the mattress pad on one bed (under the sheet, which we could see through). We used our sleeping bags on that bed. The window had no screen and was on the ground floor. We were right off the parking lot and didn't feel very secure. At least it allowed us for an easy check out as we could pass our luggage right through the window into the parking lot! Would definitely not stay here again.

Room Tip: Try not to stay on the ground floor. Go to breakfast early as they run out of food.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Coeur d'Alene hotels

Missoula, Montana
Reviewed 16 June 2014

we checked into room 225 on 6/13/14. We planned to stay for 2 nights. This lodging is a little older and shows a little wear but not too bad. This room was next to the north stair well. All night long we were kept up by the door slamming and people tramping up and down the stairs, making noise etc. When we checked out the following morning we were told we would have to pay for the additional night even though the room was not satisfactory. After a call to the manager she told us at the very least we would have to pay a 25 dollar charge for leaving early. There never was one word of I sorry, can I put you in a different room, or how can we help make this right. Customer service and satisfaction which are on the website and a folded card in the room were not even considered. It was only how much can we charge them. Needless to say we wont stay at a comfort Inn again.
Shawn Bradley

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nora B
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This hotel is always a joy to stay at. The staff are top-notch, friendly and the check in/out is always swift and painless. The rooms are clean, comfortable and simple, yet perfect. I always love staying here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Nothing about this property impressed me-not the staff, not the room, not the location, not the breakfast and not the cleanliness. I am the top status in the Choice Hotel rewards program so I have stayed at many of their properties and this one did not measure up.

Front desk person was indifferent- did not greet me as an elite platinum member as they always do and seemed to draw out a simple checkin. When I opened the door to my room, I could see the drapery was hanging off the hooks on one end which made getting the room dark impossible. Each of the two double beds had four SMALL, SOFT pillows which were not comfortable. Old style comforter seemed outdated. There is one small, slow elevator for the two upper floors. The only ice machine for all three floors is just off the lobby. On the morning you leave, you must stop by the front desk if you want a paid receipt.

The location is close to the freeway and you have to go through the IHOP parking lot to reach the Comfort Inn. It took me three tries including mistakenly getting back on the freeway before I saw the small sign advising to enter through the IHOP.

Breakfast was a disaster. It does not start until 6:30 and when I arrived shortly after 7:15, they were out of waffle mix, down to only two yogurt, what looked like fresh fruit baskets were empty (but while I was there they did bring out some apples), they used paper towels like you find in a restroom dispenser instead of napkins (I noticed the wobbly tables had real paper napkins underneath some of the legs so perhaps that is where the napkin supply went). Tables were not wiped often enough. Worst of all was they allowed guests to come down in pajamas (not even a robe over them). No employee seemed to monitoring the breakfast area so nothing was done.

Finally, cleanliness is most important to me. My room had been vacuumed, but all around the perimeter was a line of dust, thread, etc. the vacuum did not reach. The elevator, breakfast room and halls had miscellaneous paper, etc. but I repeatedly watched staff go right buy the items and not pick them up.

It just seemed like the staff does not really care about the guests or their comfort. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Joan W
sydney australia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel. We found it to be very acceptable for the price. We found the staff on booking in to be pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was a fairly standard but better than a lot. Our room was clean. We only stayed one night but had no complaints. When we left my bag n the breakfast area. Luckily I noticed I had left it after a short while but bt the time we had returned Kay (receptionist) had ready gone to great lengths to try and reach us which wasn't easy as my phone was with my bag and being from o/s no USA no's. We were most grateful.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rosySydneyAustralia
Lewiston, Idaho
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I booked this hotel on Priceline. Called the hotel staff the evening of 5/25 and very politely asked for an accommodation. The guy at the desk was extremely grumpy, and without hesitation he said no and proceeded to chew me out for booking on Priceline. He refused to listen to me and kept shouting that on Priceline he takes a loss of 30%, and that means that in turn I lose too.He said that he would only "meet me in the middle" if I were to call Priceline and cancel, and then re-book through the hotel so that he can have his 30% back. I called Priceline and cancelled all right, and then booked elsewhere. I was asking for a room with a quoted online price difference of $2, for which I offered to pay and he refused. Seems that I was punished for booking through Priceline. If he hates that site so much, i'm uncertain why this hotel chooses to participate?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family