“Tried and TRUE”

Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
Reviewed 6 August 2013

First we would like to thank Marie at the front desk.....couldn't have had a nicer welcome to the hotel. The hotel is older but our room on the 4th floor seemed to have been renovated as the carpet seemed newer and the bathroom was updated. Our grandsons came to visit us at the hotel and we took them to the pool. When we got to the pool the towel racks were empty so I went to the front desk to ask how we could get towels...when walking back to the pool area a man was already filling the shelf with towels. He must have overheard the conversation and immediately took heed. Quick and appreciated service. The only suggestion we would have is to maybe make an outdoor patio with a door to the indoor pool. The hotel could spare some of the parking lot and have a nice fenced in garden area with some lawn chairs. It would have been so nice to sit outside on a hot day. My husband sure missed not having an outdoor pool and patio and although I know it isn't feasible to have an outdoor pool in Cd'Alene...a patio would be welcome addition. The hotel is in a good price range compared to some of the newer hotels. Location is good to walk to Tomato Street cafe which has very good Italian food. The rooms are very large, you hear a bit of noise from the freeway but most hotels in Cd'Alene are on or near a freeway. Free breakfast is OK....make your own waffles, cereal, fresh fruit, bagel's/bread to toast. We liked that fresh coffee was always available in the lobby.
PS- I like having a bath at night....would be nice if the cleaning staff would clean the tub better. I should have mentioned it while we were there but didn't so it's my own fault.

Room Tip: The hotel accepts pets so If you are allergic to pets you are given a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank meanddan
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear meanddan,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I apologize about your bathtub! I will certainly make sure that this issue is addressed! Hope to see you again on your next trip to Coeur d’Alene!

Marie Stewart
Shilo Inns Coeur d’Alene

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed here for five nights with our two children. We were in room 236 in the west wing. We booked through a third party, and got a very fair rate. I will try to keep in mind what I paid ( much less than surrounding hotels) as I review the Shilo Inn.

Positives- absolutely huge room, good location, fair price.

Negatives- As others have noted, the hallway carpet had more waves in it than the lake. Such an easy thing to fix with a re stretch, but for some reason it remains neglected.

The landscaping is at best a mess.

The room cleanliness was average at best. I had to move a chair, and it looked like it had not been vacuumed behind since the last world war. I also moved the night table to get to a plug in, same story.

The television was also from the last world war, seriously tube televisions???? Did they not quit selling those decades ago?

It was almost impossible to get back in the hotel with the key scanners not working. Many times myself and others would have to wait until someone happened to walk by to let us in.

My daughter got cuts on both of her big toes from the pool floor. Not sure exactly what happened there, oddly enough our friends were staying at the hotel and one of their children also emerged from the pool with a cut toe. The front desk did not seem to care.

I left frustrated because it would really take so little to greatly improve this place. Attention to detail seems to be lacking. I did not expect a shiny new room, because the rates did not reflect that. By the end of my stay, I had a mental list of several little things that could be done to greatly improve this property. I might stay here again, but I would be sure to check out all my other options first. as the title says, could be better, could be worse.

Room Tip: If in the west wing, avoid the freeway side. Some rooms do have updated carpets and TV.
2  Thank Jayball99
Reviewed 24 July 2013

WE stayed last weekend for just one night and it was fine.... Sure the place could use a Reno - but that would only drive the prices up. It is probably the least expensive Hotel In Coeur D'Alene and after 12 hours at Silverwood it worked for us. There is a pool (which we didn't use) but it looked OK - Breakfast was free and served 'til 10:00.

We stayed in the 'newer?' wing which had a different elevator than the rest of the Hotel. I would warn any elderly folks planning on staying that the carpets did have many 'trip hazards' and they really should get a carpet layer to 're-kick' it back into place (or get sued for causing a broken hip).
Overall if its just 1 or 2 nights and you are not expecting the Hilton, It's OK

KG

1  Thank kootenay_guy
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Dear kootenay_guy,

Thank you for your response! I will certainly pass on this information about the carpets!

Marie Stewart

Reviewed 17 July 2013

The Shilo Inn is not a 5-star hotel but that's not what we needed or paid for.
We got this hotel for two days while visiting Silverwood Theme Park and for the $89 a night, it was worth the money.
Sure, it's a bit outdated but it was clean and the staff was excellent. The front desk was extremely helpful with local information and turned us on to a great deal for Silverwood tickets.
The free breakfast was fine. The breakfast room's a little small so we took it back to our room to eat and it was nice that it was available to 10 a.m.
The actual room was massive, and that was very nice. The Wifi wasn't great, so a bit of a drawback if you need it to work, but all in all, it was exactly what we needed, easy to find and we had a nice experience.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Marie Stewart, General Manager –

We just took a 16-day, 5 state road trip. We stayed at 15 different hotels, and yours was the worst! It had so many things wrong with it, that we feel it necessary to bring it to your attention. I am also going to give an honest review of this hotel on TripAdvisor and the ShiloInns.com website.

Here are some of the things we noticed about our stay at your hotel, Shilo Inn in Coeur d’ Alene, ID:

The staff was friendly at the front desk. That was good.

We were required to give a $25 deposit in case we use any services, etc. NO OTHER HOTEL – 15 IN 5 STATES REQUIRED THIS! Of course we didn’t use anything and had to be refunded the $25 – what a waste of time.

Because we booked this room (No. 107) on the internet through AAA, my request for a receipt from you for our room was denied. The other internet booked hotels supplied me with receipts!

The hallway in your hotel is very dark, dreary and uninviting. Makes you feel bad just walking down it. It needs more lighting and a bright color.

We were in room 107, handicapped – the phone next to the toilet was dead – we reported that to the front desk but no one offered to fix it.

The freezer doesn’t work properly in the refrigerator.

Ice machines on 1st and 2nd floor were out of order. We had to go up to the 3rd floor for ice.

The juice machine in the lobby was out of order. Looked like the sign had been there a while.

The side door wasn’t working properly.

No facial tissues were offered.

No pen and paper was offered.

Old furnishings in room – need to be updated.

Only one key card was offered (there are 2 of us) – we were told new ones were on order.

No landscaping maintenance – completely neglected – overgrown shrubs, weeds, dead plants.

Building not maintained – outdoor lighting was missing lights, weeds growing in gutters – needs paint job. The driveway needed to be swept or blown.

We heard voices through the wall well into the night – need more insulation.

We couldn’t get to breakfast until it was almost over – the man that was overseeing breakfast was totally unfriendly, didn’t smile, carried food away when he knew we were just coming in – he didn’t offer to help us get something to eat, he looked VERY unfriendly and did not speak a word. There were messy food droppings everywhere – obviously he didn’t clean as breakfast progressed – looked like it had been a horrible breakfast offering – nothing was replenished – it was all gone, but you could tell there had been no decent food.

We don’t plan to ever come back to this mess! Obviously management doesn’t manage this property well at all, and they don’t repair what needs to be fixed. Even if you don’t remodel at this point in time, you should/could keep a clean, bright and well maintained hotel – but you aren’t at this time!! Your place looks like it doesn’t have a budget to keep it up as it should be – you look like you may be going into bankruptcy.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Margaret S
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Dont expect a 5 star hotel, that being said some of the things in this hotel either need to be upgraded or fixed. If I didn't notice these problems they would have gotten a 5. First off, myself my fiance, my father, and my little brother stayed here for 7 days. Upon reading reviews I was unsure what to expect, YES it does have a strange musty smell through out the hotel most likely due to the hotel changing from smoking to nonsmoking it smells like they have used an ozone machine to try and fix a tobacco smell. However you do get used to it after a while. The biggest and best part of this hotel in my books was the absolutely huge rooms for the price and the insane OCD cleanliness of the rooms. As per usual we did a bed check and the mattresses were very clean almost looked new. The beds were very very comfy along with the pillows too! The staff was very friendly and the housekeeping are very polite. The continental breakfast is what you would expect, although two things I was surprised to see was cream cheese (finally a hotel that understands bagels) and a waffle maker! Almost our whole stay was great but a few minor detail that the hotel needs to work out are:

-Carpets on the second floor of the west wing were serious trip hazards please replace them we almost fell about three times!

-The fridge in our room which i believe was 231 was luke warm at best

-Bad hot tub, steam room barley works, sauna doesn't have the proper items to make it work.

Overall our stay here rocked, a great night sleep every day, location is great, clean rooms, awesome staff. This hotel is worth every penny we paid.

Room Tip: Anything away from the 90.
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I would never stay at this hotel again. It was very dirty and understaffed. House keeping crew was two teen boys that stole some of my belongings... took days to actually speak with assistant manager who offered no assistance and did not call me back when she said she would. I am still waiting for general manager to call me. I had previously stayed at this hotel and had a positive experience, but it has really gone down hill. Also we were only given one room key because they were running out, and that key only worked intermittantly.

5  Thank Becky W