“October fest year round”
Review of Schnitzel Garten

Schnitzel Garten
Ranked #12 of 74 Restaurants in Eagle
Price range: US$14 - US$25
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We offer the finest authentic German cuisine, along with fine wines and delicious beers from various German regions. You will be able to enjoy all this at a nice rustic location with outdoor seating and weekly live music!
Boise, Idaho
“October fest year round”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Pleasantly surprised by the very good beer and tasty food. Can't wait to go back. It's hard to find but worth the effort. Great selection of German beers on tap. The brats were very good (we had three different styles). My wife had a well done spatizel (sp?). There were several other classic German dishes we need to go back to try. The red cabbage was tasty but needs to be a little sweeter.

• Visited May 2014

“Great Beer food a little pricey”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I went with my wife for a beer and an app. The beer was fantastic, we will be going back for another round for sure. The appetizer was not that good, the pretzel was ok but it came with some sort of cheese dipping sauce which was surprisingly cold and hard to eat. Maybe it always is served cold and we just aren't used to the cuisine but it did not taste very good.
The atmosphere was great, we really enjoyed the restaurant but next time will just stick to beer!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank trenlong
Meridian, Idaho
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Very disappointing. Took my daughter there on a Friday night. I work late so made a reservation for 9pm. They close at 10 (supposedly). I had been dreaming of spaetzle; they were out. It’s a rather large part of their menu – like a burger joint being out of French fries. Giving the benefit of the doubt though, maybe they’d been really busy? So we chose our meal.. and they were out of that too. I didn’t really care for the meal they brought instead. That wasn’t the worst part, though. They never once refilled our drinks, never offered us coffee or dessert, basically pushed us out the door like they were anxious to get closed – they were turning off the open sign as we walked out – and it was not even 9:30! In, fed, and shoved out the door in less than half an hour. I had been really excited that a German restaurant was actually here in Idaho, but won’t be going back

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Ann H
“Authentic German food and beer; overpriced”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

The German couple who run this place have stuck closely to the traditional cuisine of Bavaria. Goulash, pork stew with spaetzle, gurkensalat, a variety of schnitzel, and imported beer. Everything we've had has been delicious (haven't tried any desserts). However, most entrees have a $16-ish price tag, which is about $5 more than it should be. The portions are surprisingly not huge, so the value isn't there. My suspicion is that because Eagle is the "high-rent district" of the Treasure Valley, the proprietors of Schnitzel Garten have inflated their prices to contribute to the high over-head. That being said, this is the place to find a beer hall that will satisfy your hankering for meat and potatoes and German pilsner and lager.

• Visited January 2014
Boise, Idaho
“Felt Like Oma's Kitchen”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My mother and grandmother hail from Bavaria. I never realized I would miss her cooking when my Oma passed away many years ago. However, when my mother (visiting from out of state) came for the holidays we decided we should give this place a try. Between four of us dining, I'd say we had a great spectrum of food to try, from the spaetzle, to red cabbage, to schnitzel of course. We also tried the gluhwein and some German beer.
As soon as the beef and red cabbage arrived, complete with dumplings, I was like, wow! Look at that! It's like Oma's house! All of us very much enjoyed our food.

One comment from meine mutter, for your information, she thought the aesthetics were not Bavarian enough. Read: the decor could have been more kitschy for a more German feel. No Cuckoo Clocks! No Oompa-oompa music in the background (my mom's term, not mine). No pictures or anything with Lederhosen nor Dirndl dresses anywhere. No photos of Bavaria.

All in all, if you feel like enjoying traditional Bavarian-fare, this place is great. Don't get your hopes up (at least at the time of this writing) for decor. Perhaps they're working on it.

AND!! Bonus! at a table nearby they had HUGE DAS BOOTs!!! With beir! Those huge glass boots have to be worth some sort of bonus points, for sure!

One last thing... It is a fairly small establishment, only opened for dinner. I highly recommend making reservations ahead, as we did.

• Visited December 2013

Been to Schnitzel Garten? Share your experiences!