“Truly a wonderful week. These people understand customer service!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrison
Red Horse Mountain Ranch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Columbus
“Truly a wonderful week. These people understand customer service!”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We found this place on Tripadvisor a couple years ago and hoped that it would live up to the comments. It did. My daughter and I went during women's week and were there with 23 other women who came as sisters and long time friends and there was one other couple that was a mother/daughter. The food was tremendous, the activities were plentiful. We did everything that we could fit into a day but also left time to relax. It was very cool in the mornings but warmed to high 50s in the afternoon. The skies were perfectly blue and the sites were incredible. All the wranglers were very patient with those who knew how to ride and those who were learning. We were the only two that opted to do the zip line that started in the mountain and ended int the freezing water pond, but the activity still went on. The ranch owner/manager made sure that even though there were only two of us, it happened. It was a blast.
I particularly loved the morning mountain hikes prior to rides in the morning. So peaceful and a good way to get warmed up before sitting in the saddle.
Each day the food just got better and better. You will want for nothing.
I mentioned on my pre-trip form that I "required" Diet Coke in my regimen. Even though it is not part of their normal bar offerings, it was waiting on my cabin porch when we arrived.
I will return if I can make it happen again. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We had a great time. Lots to do for everyone in the family. The scenery was fabulous, and the wranglers - very friendly. We really enjoyed meeting the other families that spent the same week at the ranch. Our family thought this was the best vacation we have ever had! We highly recommend this for a family vacation!

Room Tip: Try a cabin for a more private experience
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 October 2012

This was my first time at a dude ranch and it was by far one of the most exhilarating and fun vacations I have ever taken. I came here to primarily disconnect from work and ride horses and the lack of reception from the real world was actually refreshing and helped in the relaxing and unwinding. There is a range of activities from horseback riding, kayaking, long range shooting, clay pigeon shooting, zip-linining, ceramics painting, hot tub-ing during the day to campfires and karaokee-ing at night. The meals served (especially dinner) were A-MAZING and fresh and their bread is to die for. I wanted to white water raft but unfortunately the water was too low to do that, but there were too many activities to squeeze in anyway!

The ranch has 85 head of horses the horse assigned to me for the week was so sweet. Every Friday 4:30pm , the horses are herded out to graze atop the mountain pasture and are herded back to the ranch Monday 7:30am so make sure to get the videocam to record them running in tandem during these times! It is simply beautiful to see these lovely creatures in their element. There was a young filly named Kahlua there who was so sweet cuddly and soft and I always made sure to have apples and other treats for her when I went down to see the horses (HINT: there are apple and pear trees in front of the lodge).

The staff was great and very helpful. Should out to Sarah (who has an awesome way with horses and teaching new riders), Nick, Kayla, Bette, Brenda, Anna, Steve, Andy, Claire, Rob for their help and service!

There also is an adorable petting zoo with a cute fluffy sheep named Noodle who will love and follow you forever if you give him treats and also two potbelly pigs who keep him company...I always made sure to save some carrots for him, the pigs, and the horses leftover from lunch and dinner :)

I met and networked with some amazing people while I was there who were so much fun to hang around with. We definitely had some great experiences and made some memories that will last a lifetime!

5/5 STARS - a high recommend if you are looking for an outdoors vacation. Getting there (roughly 2 hours from airport up a rocky mountain) was a little rough, but trust me, it will be worth it once you are settled in.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Alex S
Princeton, New Jersey United States
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I come from a family of 3 girls, 22, 24, and 26, and my mother and father. We are very fortunate to go on family vacations still. We have been to seven different dude ranches and RHMR was BY FAR the best vacation we have ever had together. I am not the biggest horseback rider but there were so many activities to choose from. I could choose to relax and drink my coffee while enjoying the gorgeous views, go on a morning ride, archery, shooting range, morning hike, etc. The staff was unbelievably friendly and made us feel welcome and treated us like friends. The food was out of this world delicious and there were healthy options. The rooms (beds in particular) were the most comfortable I have ever stayed in. We have already booked for next year. Great for ALL ages!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Annie S
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed 25 September 2012

The experience starts and ends with the incredible staff, friendly, knowledgeable and professional. Then there is the delicious food, three meals a day included. Since the food is so good you need all of the activities available at the Ranch. Too many to mention, but if you are so inclined you can just relax, enjoy the environment and read a book or take a nap. Or if you are adventurous, get into one of the many hot tubs. it doesn't get more self indulgent than that or have a massage. Later enjoy happy hour at the bar, with a drink overlooking the corrals. No keys adds to the wonderfully friendly atmosphere. You could not possibly go wrong booking a vacation at the ranch. Nine of us celebrated our 30th year together as friends after having met at Club Med Cancun in September 1983. Give the ranch a try, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms are larger. Many of the rooms can be connected for families. The Old Post is...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Tonasket
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I recommend this "dude" ranch utterly without hesitation or reservation. The preceding sentence is really all you need, but this 3.5-day trip to celebrate my daughter's birthday was just great. The only downside, and it was minor, was the smoky haze on two of the days from wildfires in central Washington.

Other reviews appear to have captured the fact that Cory intends to make this resort the best of its kind in the West. The phenomenal attitude and service of the staff makes this 63-year-old amazed that such service and attention to the customer even exists any more. Naturally, I intend to take another loved one there as soon as the op presents itself.

Ya like horses? They've got 85 of them, and the riding opportunities range from slow walks for beginners to as demanding as you desire, with a huge amount of adjacent USFS and BLM lands to use for ridge trips.

Excellent food, with the capper being a 5-course wine dinner for the farewell feast. The staff outdid themselves. You will never want for anything, and some of the rides include field BBQ's in scenic settings.

The list of activities that you can choose from is amazing. I was particularly impressed with the fact that the staff will drive even a single participant to an event, such as whitewater rafting or kayaking on the upper St. Joe River. The list goes on from there, and includes archery, horseshoe pits, evening campfire ring, rifle shoots, mountain biking, canoeing, lowland lake fishing, stream fishing, and more.

The lodge includes a VERY well-stocked library complete with a free-long distance phone, wide screen TV, wi-fi (you really should avoid that if you are supposedly trying to get away from it all), and a slug of movie DVDs.

The youthful and energetic wranglers were just a joy to be with. If you don't have suitable boots for riding, no problem - they have a wall full of them in the tack that you can borrow for free.

An evening in the saloon down by the tack shop was also great, playing pool with Number One Daughter while a good live band provided lots of good sounds.

Cabins are well-built and wonderfully well-equipped. The only thing that disturbed our sleep was a 30-second yipping chorus by coyotes down by the fire ring one night.

Oh well, 'nuf said. This place was great.

Room Tip: If you share a log cabin, particularly one of the older ones, the dividing wall may not be as sound...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bob P
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Lifetime horse owner with a kiddo hooked on cowboys I read about the kids program and all the reviews and approached my husband to see if we could make this happen. I sincerely did not think it possible that the ranch could live up to it's hype but figured it must be at least reliable and good. It absolutely did. Fantastic trip to be sure. The staff and wranglers are living the dream and they know it. Relaxed, fun, accommodating. Not to mention the caliber of horses they had. Not at all point-and-shoot herd. Great looking horses, in good flesh, great feet and good heads on them. They had horses to meet the needs of all riders. I had a nice little intermediate mare with personality to boot. Tested into the advanced rides and we were off! Scenic too. The rides were way more scenic than I anticipated and because we drove I took our car a few miles down the road each night and most mornings to see the bachelor herds of moose in the lake. One morning a calf, cow and bull. Very excited about the wildlife viewing. I also very much enjoyed all the other families that were at the ranch that last week of kids week. Being smack in the middle of strangers for a family vacation isn't the norm for us but the Ranch provides ample opportunity for everyone to hit their strides. They meet the needs of a wide variety of folks with a wide array of interest. To my surprise some of the families ran on the ambivalent side regarding horses and riding, but not to worry truly something for everyone. I also appreciated the all inclusive nature of the ranch and not having to spend my vacation pulling out my credit card at every turn. Lastly, my husband being this unplugged and a million miles away from his work was a huge highlight. Definitely recommend. We will be back no doubt and we will bring friends!

Room Tip: We stayed on the back side of syringa. The cabin has a king bed on the lower level and a queen bed...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrison
SpringHill Suites Coeur d'Alene
Best Western Plus Coeur D'Alene Inn
The Coeur d'Alene Resort
The Coeur d'Alene Resort
#6 of 22 in Coeur d'Alene

Been to Red Horse Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!