“I can't wait to go back”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrison
Red Horse Mountain Ranch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fairfield, Connecticut
“I can't wait to go back”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I work in NYC and was looking for a place to leave the city behind. This was far an away the best and most relaxing vacation my family and I have ever been on. I cant say enough great things about it. The location, views, activities, staff, and food were all above and beyond expectation and we biult it up in our heads before we went.

From the moment you get there, there is nothing you have to think about, just start enjoying yourself. It is like you are on a personal and family vacation at the same time. Everyone can do various activities together or go in your seperate directions. For exampe, my wife and I would wake up in the morning and go on a fitness hike while our kids slept. When they woke up they stolled out of the cabin and right to breakfest. You never had to worry were everyone was or whether they were safe. Sometimes we would go riding with the kids or other times we would go off with an adult group. We never had to get five people to agree on an activity.

Another aspect we liked was not having to think about what to do for meals or snacks. I have never seen my kids eat so much. Usually they eat barely anything and push it around their plate. Here they actually had seconds. The adult wine dinner on Thursday night was top notch and it was nice to have a meal away from the kids. I am sure they felt the same way as well. The ride to the meadow for the BBQ on the last night was a great way to end the trip and again the food was amazing.

Further, we enjoyed the fact that there was only about 40 guests there during our stay. Everyone was from all over the country and it was nice to get to know everyone in a relaxed natural way. Everyones excitement and enjoyment with the faciilties, staff, and experience brought everyone together in a way I have never seen before.

Our kids are 10,8,and 6 and were the perfect ages to expereince everything the ranch had to offer. They left with great memories and cried their eyes out when we left. They each got an old horseshoe from their horses that now are displaced on the doors to their rooms (Thanks Stephanie). Just one example of the personal touch the staff adds to our stay. I remember all their names and a little something about all of them. Sam good luck with you agg biz degree. Paul I hope you did well in the mule show. Shawn, all Caroline talks about is getting a lasso. Kay great music during the happy hour. Andria you have a great voice. Brett you could get a side job singing Jonny Cash songs. Tyler, there should be a picture of you in the dictionary next to Cowboy. Buckie let me know if you need one of those fire sticks

Red Horse Mountain Ranch is a very special place and created a lot of great memories for me and family. We are lucky to have discovered it. I can not recommend it enough and I look forward to when my family can return.

3 Thank Russ33780

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 25 July 2013

11 of us had 2 houses with 6 bedrooms and baths; 5 children oldest 11, youngest 6. The riding was ideal. The swimming pool chilly and refreshing; hot tubes galore. Food was gourmet with simple, honest cooking; baker was first rate; there was an adult dinner with wine and 5 courses which we all enjoyed, particularly as the children had their own gala dinner. The children were mostly busy with activities and they tried new adventures. I am a bird-watcher so enjoyed the Osprey nests full of chicks and the Thompson Lake bird watching area. We drove out at 6 and watched the small herd of moose at Lake Thompson grazing. Some saw a black bear and her cub. The housing is excellent; housekeeping 2x during your stay does laundry so no need to lug a lot of clothing and we were all casual to a fault. Amazingly there was not one smoker in the group or to my knowledge on the ranch -- a real plus. The horseback riding is outstanding. gorgeous trails; lots of horses to accommodate the guests. Zip lines, challenge courses for those who like adventure. And the campfire sing-a-longs were memorable. Great fun.

1 Thank asmith36
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Our extended family spent a week at The ranch, and everyone (age1-66) had a blast. From trail rides to riding lessons, skeet shooting, fishing, kayaking, zip lines and archery- Red Horse had it all! The staff went above and beyond to meet our needs and make our stay extraordinary! The kids were well taken care of by the knowledgeable and friendly wranglers. A great trip for families of all ages!

• Stayed June 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2013

After reading all the stellar reviews, I really felt there had to be a catch. It was great to find out there wasn't. Most vacations seem to take some time to get into the groove, but somehow from the minute we unpacked, my family of four really got into the swing, including both kids who don't typically adapt to change well. The location is truly spectacular & everything about the physical property is as good or better than one would expect from this type of "resort". What makes the RHMR truly spectacular though is the staff. They are knowledgeable about what they do and truly seem to care about you having a good time. I don't think i heard the word "no" from the staff the whole time i was there. There were just under 50 guests during the week we went (July 6-13, 2013) and we knew each of them by the third day or so. Each family came with kids that varied in range from 2-16.

So, you say, no place can really be this good, right? Well the only "flaw" per say was scheduling. Some activities only happen at certain times & with so many fun activities to choose from, we had to leave some out. They were more than willing to work with us to resolve conflicts and adapt activities, but it did take some doing. Otherwise if you are considering this type of vacation, you'd be hard pressed to find someplace better at any price.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Had a great time for my 50th birthday! If you go to the evening campfire, STAY! I left early and since then it's probably my best memory! The artists/musicians are fantastic! Not one bad thing to say!

• Stayed September 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We just spent a week in Harrison, ID at Red Horse Mountain Ranch with Cory and the wonderful staff! What an experience!! Beginning with the drive to the ranch along the beautiful Lake Coeur d'Alene and continuing through our check out, the staff was extremely accommodating and overly friendly. Everything from the food to the after hours activities were meticulous! Our trail riding was wonderful and our group of 20 (ranging in age from 3-80) were all matched with wonderful, appropriate skill level horses. My wife and I had reservations about putting our 3 year old on a horse. Well, from the first moment she saw the herd, there was no turning back! She rode every day, as did our other two children. The additional activities at the ranch gave us all plenty of options when not riding! If you have never been to a dude ranch (which we hadn't), I highly recommend Red Horse Mountain Ranch. For the last week, my children have been asking, "when are we going back dad"? What an experience...Best family vacation we have ever had!!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I had the BEST time! My whole family was there and we took advantage of every activity every day and it was the best week of my life...I did more in a week than I generally do in a month at home and the food was awesome, the staff was awesome....ziplining, catwalk, archery, kayaking, horseback riding, learning to lasso (yeah Blake helped me do the lasso on my second try, thanks Blake you rock!)and he helped me with the clay shooting too...lol They have different activities every night as well, and Karaoke night was the BEST!!! I want to come back every year for the rest of my life...I actually cried when we had to go home because I was so sad to be leaving...

Room Tip: The hilltop house has its own jacuzzi....we loved the hilltop house...the room downstairs is really...