“Could do better -”
Review of Hotel Villa Mabapa

Hotel Villa Mabapa
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Reviewed 22 August 2008

2 nights in this this far from 4 star hotel. It was clean but not very comfortable, no bath. Friendly staff but helpfulness a bit thin on the ground. no prior advice on how to get to the hotel. We ended up with a stressful journey which would have been so much easier had the hotel given us prior advice.Food was good if you could get any. Made to feel they were doing us a favour by letting us eat there. Our fault we did not get back on our 2nd night until 9.30pm but were told we could eat but the waiter had other ideas. When we suggested room service were told we would have a long wait.
We gave up and went to bed. By 7am I needed a drink badly but was told I had to wait until 8am.
Nice location.

Stayed: August 2008
3  Thank llulham

Reviewed 12 July 2008

This hotel looks good.
Make sure if your breakfast is included.
When I checked in, I was told that breakfast is included.
But, the manager asked us to pay for the breakfast we had
when we wanted to checked out.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank TexasVavava
Reviewed 2 June 2008

Just back from 8 incredible days in Venice. The hotel is in a fabulous location on the Lido, great if you want to get away from the noise of Venice, however its only a 10 minute waterbus ride to St Marc's. They have recently put a new water bus stop 50 yards from the Hotel. I would suggest paying the extra and getting a superior room with balcony and garden view. These tend to be in the Pink building which is at the back. Some of the other rooms i saw were quite small and dark.
Breakfast could be hit and miss. some days with fresh fruit salad etc. other days tinned fruit. Also the breakfast choice is quite limited. The hotel has a number of bikes which are free and I would recommend using them to explore the Lido.The staff are very helpful.
Keep out of venice in the mornings, it's packed. we went on the beach in the mornings and then over to venice late afternoon.
When I next return to venice, I will definitly come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chaderoonie
Reviewed 22 March 2008

Would stay here again...depending on my room.

The grounds are lovely and the main building is charming. The hotel consists of various out-buildings. Ask for a room in the pink building at the front of the property. It's very nice. I was originally given a room in a building at the back of the property and it had the distinct smell of "damp" even though it looked to be freshly renovated. Steer clear of that one.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank muffin78
Reviewed 3 March 2008

Probably the coldest holiday we have ever had!! Decided to go hot in winter from now on but to the hotel-A bit of a walk from the ferry/bus stop for the unfit, but manageable. Found the room and ensuite a bit of a tight fit but fine if used as a base. Bed turned down every day, not sure if the floor is cleaned though-a bit of a worry as Venice is a land mine for doggy deposits!! We took advantage of the coffee making facilities but figured when we left you must have to leave cups etc outside the room because the used cups were not lifted or changed once. Staff at the reception were very helpful.Have found out that Italian food is not my thing so can't really comment on the restaurant-but there was plenty of choice at breakfast.Nice quiet hotel, but would probably go more central if heading back there.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2008

Of my trip to Italy, this was the most expensive and worst hotel that we stayed in. The room was more like an old college dorm room, but not as well kept as you would expect. The room was small and drafty, the beds were extremely uncomfortable and actually broke on me on my first night there. The Bathtub wasn't even bigenough for someone to sit down in. The wall paper looked like it hadn't been updated since the 1960's. The Hotel staff was TERRIBLE, they never answered their phones, when I tried to set a wakeup call. They were also rude to us on several occasions and didn't know the boat schedule or the bus schedule and were "too busy to look it up for us." This hotel was listed as a 3.5 star rating, but I think that it should be reevaluated as I stayed at a 3 star hotel in Rome before I left and it was vastly better. Infact, this Hotel was so bad that I don't think that I will ever stay at another Best Western!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kirchgrk
Reviewed 16 October 2007

The hotel itself is actually fairly decent. The staff however is another story. When we arrived the dark haired gentleman in his 40's wearing glasses informed us that our rooms were not ready but that he would upgrade us to superior rooms at their sister hotel just 200 meters away. We didn't think much of it and took the bait. So, they call their luggage guy and send us off. The other hotel was not a best western and it was on the other side of the island. If you have ever stayed on the lido I find it alot easier to stay on the port side rather than the beach side. Anyway, we get over the other hotel and decided that it simply doesn't have the charm that BW Villa Mabapa has and chose to go back and wait for our rooms to be ready. The guy was fairly aggressive in trying to get us to stay at the other hotel and made us feel uncomfortable with our decision to stay at our booked location. Magically one of the rooms were ready by the time we got back. Then, as we make our way up to store our luggage in the room that was available our other room was magically ready too. Hmm??? Starting to feel like a bait and switch. The room itself wasn't bad for venice. It was our second time staying on the Lido and knew the rooms weren't going to be out of this world. The hotel does have a nice courtyard to enjoy a glass of wine in. I wouldn't exactly call the rest of the staff very attentive either. They also said that we couldn't have the free breakfast as well unless we stayed at the other location. If we were going to venice for the beaches we would have stayed on the other side, but we were there to see the main island. Also, you should note that the hotel is a good 10-15 minute walk from the water bus. It wasn't exactly an ideal location on the lido. So, would I stay there again??? Not if you paid me to. There are far better hotels on the lido. It wasn't worth all of the hassle and feeling like we couldn't even be comfortable in our room. I do travel alot, so I'm usually pretty patient when things don't go as planned, but this was just too much.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends