“Loads of charm - a real joy” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riviera Hotel

Riviera Hotel
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
NE Victoria, Australia
“Loads of charm - a real joy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

The Riviera is exactly the kind of hotel that we love - laden with character and slightly frayed around the edges. Add to this the views stretching across the lagoon from one of the nicest rooms we've stayed in, and the Riviera was a highlight of our trip.

To be fair, we were extremely lucky with the price and the room. I managed to fluke a deal through the hotel's website for a lagoon view room for two nights for 65 euros per night - this in September, when most places were charging well into the hundreds of euros for a similar thing - and put in a request with my booking for a balcony (I thought it was worth a try!). To our delight, we were given a corner "junior suite" (as it was described on the back of the door), with French doors opening to a wraparound balcony and views across the water to San Marco. Couldn't have been better.

The furnishings were comfortable and old-fashioned in a good way; we even had an overstuffed armchair that caught the sun and which I would have loved to have stashed into my suitcase and lugged home. The bed was a little on the firm side, but not enough to make sleeping an issue. The busy intersection outside didn't bother us either. We spent a lot of time on the balcony, watching the cruise ships and people and buses and smaller boats come and go.

The bathroom was large and clean, with a shower over a bath - the only thing was that there was no shower curtain or screen so, despite our best efforts to prevent it, water tended to flood the floor in front of the basin. Always mopped up and dry when we returned to the room after sightseeing, though.

Breakfast was plentiful and served on classic crockery, complete with the hotel logo on it (silly I know, but I'm a sucker for this kind of thing). There were pleasant places to sit if we had wanted to do so, but we had such a great room that we stayed in it whenever we were at the hotel. Public areas were generally a little florid in their decoration, but that's what we liked about the place - at times we felt like we'd stepped into a 1950s film set, it had such a sense of nostalgia about it.

There have been some comments about the unfriendliness of staff and I have to admit that we had a mixed bag there. The Sunday/Monday receptionist was kind and helpful - we couldn't fault him - as were the breakfast ladies; the Tuesday morning receptionist was, well, rude and arrogant. No other words for him, really. But that didn't ruin our stay.

We've been to Venice numerous times but had never stayed on the Lido before and we found that we enjoyed the location. It wouldn't be for everyone, what with the trek out and back on the vaporetto to the main sights, but it suited us as being a change from our usual Dorsoduro/San Polo routine. As someone else has said, the hop across the lagoon provided a leisurely start and end to the day, time to enjoy the cool breeze and collect our thoughts. We live in deeply rural surroundings, so a trip on a boat is a welcome diversion!

If I were a first-time visitor to Venice, I would probably rather stay closer in, but for repeat travellers, it makes for a pleasant enough change. The only thing I would say is that dining options on the Lido are pretty ordinary, with run-of-the-mill places serving even more uninspiring and overpriced food than we've usually found in Venice (which is saying something). We caught a bus way down to the southern end of the island and there seemed to be some better options there - most of them shut on a Monday night, as we discovered when we tried to head back there for dinner the next day. Not really an issue though - we just jumped on to a vaporetto and headed back into central Venice to eat.

I can understand that the Riviera is not everyone's type of hotel and that others have had less than desirable stays there; I imagine that a lot hinges on the room that you get and the price that you pay (and we certainly hit the jackpot on both counts). But it was lovely for us - a charming and traditional hotel experience, exactly what we wanted, and we enjoyed it immensely.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank halwimsey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Cheshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2009

It is obvious that I love this hotel, stayed in June, Sept and Oct 2009, this time I returned with my mum and friends, everything was once again excellent. I was worried the others may not like it but they were very impressed. We paid a bit more this time for a superior room, and had a balcony facing the street with a side view of the lagoon. Excellent location for vaporetto stop. Because we were on the front it was a little noisier ( I stayed at the back the last 2 occasions)

Breakfast was once again excellent, and breakfast staff courteous, I found the cappuccini excellent. I cannot understand the bad reviews of this hotel, as I have stayed in both budget and superior rooms, and been pleased with them..

Most of the reception staff are very nice, especially the nightshift receptionist, he was very pleasant and helpful.

I can highly reccommend the Hotel Riviera and I'm certain I will be back again. I did notice the Lido is getting more expensive, prices are not much different to Venice.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank jessybobs
roma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2009

I am amazed

We thought we had booked a down market, budget hotel and got a view of St Marcs Sq, a great breakfast and a large double room all for 50 euros a night for 2 people.

OK its off season, but it was worth double that. Really really great.

Hot water, clean towels, nice people, easy to find, great location,

OK the view of st marcs sq, was 2 miles away! but honestly. great

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2009

Positioned a stone's throw from the Lido vaporettpo stop this was the ideal position to see Venice from. involving only a short trip to St Marks.Hotel is a throwback to another age with some truly old fashioned decor but with lots of old fashioned courtesy and service which was much appreciated.We were initially placed in a smallish room but were offered a larger room after the first night.Although the room seemed fine to us ,having experienced much smaller rooms in other parts of Italy, the new room was very roomy and rather lovely with a view of Venice over the water.Breakfast was one of the best we experienced in Italy.After a day exploring Venice it was so relaxing and pleasant to arrive back at Lido and the Hotel Riviera in particular.Lots of good eating places around the hotel area with much more reasonable prices than on the main island .Highly reccommended.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff024
Los Altos, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2009

We traveled to Italy from USA in Aug 2009 and visited Venice after Rome. We were very disappointed with this hotel. It was our mistake to not do our groundwork about the location. The hotel is on the Lido island - not the main Venice area so we spent quite some time taking the vaporetta to and from Venice to Lido. The hotel itself is situated 3 min walk from the ferry stop though.

The two big negatives I faced were - the staff is unfriendly and the rooms are tiny. Rooms being small was expected but they are laid out in a strange manner and the two tiny beds (maybe 2.5 feet wide and 5.5 feet tall) are on two separate walls. Now, that was a first for us. This would probably suit some backpack travelers or something but didn't suit us - husband, wife, 6 year old and 1 year old. The bathroom was just about OK.

The staff was extremely rude - I never saw a smile on their face and they were really out there to help us with anything, like directions or questions about the room or possibility to change to a bigger room etc. Breakfast was OK though. Nothing great but fine.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Stockholm
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2009

The Riviera Hotel has much to recommend it. It's comparatively inexpensive and very well located just across the street from the Lido vaporetto stop, for a quick ride in to Venice. The Hotel itself is fairly average, as is the service, but the breakfast buffé is excellent value. If you turn left out the front door and walk the length of the street across the island you'll find a large public beach, of very average quality, but then you did not come to Venice to bathe, did you? As for the surroundings, well, Lido is were you sleep during your stay and nothing much else.

Soo, to the room. If you request a single room you must be prepared for it to be small, and I was, and it was. Not to small though and the en-suite bathroom was almost as big. Everything was reasonably clean and whole and there was functioning air-con and tv. So far so good, right?

Now we come to my single gripe, but it's a major one. The bed. The most basic function of a hotel is as a place for sleepng in and a decent bed is a must. Now, I am 189 cm (6.2 ft) which is tall but not exceptionally so. The bed was not much longer and the mattress quite a bit shorter, and also fairly hard. I inquired about switching to another room at the front desk but was told that the beds are of a standard size. I had to accept this and did not have the opportunity to confirm it. I stayed five nights and did not sleep well.
To conclude, this hotel met all my requirements, except the most basic one. So if you are a bit shorter than me, then go for it, otherwise be careful.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank PeterH12
Munich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

I stayed in this hotel for two nights with my significant other. I am not a picky person when it comes to hotels. I like a clean room and a hotel that provides the amenities that are listed by hotwire and the hotel website. For starters the hotel is definitely not for couples wishing to get away for a romantic weekend. We had a room with two twin beds pushed together that would not stay together. The air conditioning was on high and the room would not drop below 80 degrees. Next, I went to use the internet and the Wi-Fi did not reach our room. Even if it did work I would say that the cost was too high at 6 Euros for a half an hour of use. After my shower in the morning I went to blow dry my hair with the hotel provided dryer and the hair dryer died after about two minutes. In the morning there was a nice breakfast provided, which is the only positive thing I have to say about this hotel. The hotel has a nice sign on their front desk that states “a free private ride and tour” on the island of Murano. All you have to do is tell the front desk what time you want to go. When we asked them about this offer they said that they could not get a hold of their boat company. (We waited for over an hour to get any sort of response from the front desk). After touring Venice all day we came back to the room for a rest and shower before dinner. There was a loud noise in the bathroom and I went in to check on it and the shower door had shattered without anyone in there. I went down to the front desk to tell them what happened so hopefully we could change rooms. They said that they would figure something out and take care of it. So, on that note we went out to dinner dirty, but hopeful that things would be worked out by the time we got back. When we returned we went to the front desk, and they blamed us for everything and it was “not their problem to give us another room.” I was mad at their lack of helping us but I asked at the very least could they send someone up to clean up the glass so it would be safe to go to the bathroom. Again their response was “It’s not our problem.” Unbelievable. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. The staff is the worst.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple