I'm passionate about Venice and reading the reviews about the Ausonia & Hungaria you must be aware of the following:
The hotel is on the Lido (Venice Beach). This means you are 20 minutes by ferry away from old town Venice, but especially in the hot summer months you may have a cooling sea breeze and air tends to be not as sticky as in Venice itself. Staying in Lido also offers a great beach, which is within walking distance from the hotel. Lido itself is an animated little spot and especially on week ends a lot of locals come to lido to escape the city.
Italians do not really eat breakfast. A short cup of coffee and a small pastry, that's it. So be aware that anything above this must be considered as over average for Italy. The Ausonia & Hungaria offers a nice breakfast room with coffee and juice machines, cheese, eggs, bacon, pastry, yoghurt and cereals. Anything else (e.g. Cappuccino) has to be ordered separately. So the breakfast is very good compared to Italian standard but probably not as great as breakfasts served in similar hotels in Europe. What really makes the difference is the nice staff, which is always in good mood and very friendly.
I must say the hotel itself has seen better times. We booked a suite and got two connected rooms (319/320) which was not really what we expected and little disappointment. The room itself also lacked ambience as you would expect from the outside. Walking through the hotel I spotted some very nice rooms but mine was definitely not a like a suite.
I did not check the wellness area so I can not comment.
Overall I liked the hotel, its patina, the location on the lido, the breakfast and with a better room I would have given it 5 points.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grande Albergo AUSONIA & HUGARIA is a historic residence in Venice with a one-of-a-kind atmosphere with a Thai SPA and wellness center. The hotel is just a few minutes from the dock where the "vaporetto", the local public water-bus transportation, leave every 10 minutes for Saint Mark's Square, the downtown of Venice. The suggestive boat trip is just 10 minutes long and takes you through the Saint Mark's basin.The hotel is a welcoming gem in Liberty style with period furniture, large frescoed halls, perfect for any type of event, a renowned restaurant and rooms with every comfort for a romantic and exclusive stay.Every year, many national and international stars select the Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria for their stay in Lido during the Mostra Internazionale d’Arte Cinematografica (the Venice Film Festival) to appreciate the beauty and charm of the timeless structure and the superior service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grande Albergo Ausonia And Hungaria Wellness & Spa On Venice Lido Hotel
- Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria Province Of Venice, Italy