Being on the Lido rather than in Venice itself is no bad thing. The vaporetti are cheap and handy and from the terminus at the end of the road can get you to anywhere in the lagoon or on the canal in a matter of minutes, But this is about the hotel. It should be called the chameleon because the outside is one big mural composed of individual ceramic tiles, all painted to depict the grandeur of Venice. Inside is a jaded-in-parts, bizarrely refurbished in minor parts complete enigma of an hotel. Awkwardly shaped rooms dictated by the theatrical shape of the building. Quirky ancient free-standing furniture. Bathrooms/shower rooms just big enough for one. Vast public areas with odd pieces of furniture dotted around. Breakfast is served in a sort of conservatory crammed with tables. A buffet of sorts comes and goes as the young, willing but shambolic staff try to cope with what is clearly an inadequate kitchen supplying scrambled eggs made from liquid egg in cartons and congealed into a rubbery block under the lamps. Rashers of bacon that look as though they've been boiled before being popped into a warm oven. All coffee is from self-service machines, none of which seemed to function in accordance with the symbols on the push-buttons. My recommendation would be to give breakfast a miss and buy a brioche and a cappuccino on the way to the vaporetto terminal.
The hotel staff are few but they are polite and attentive. They seem to need organising and a good dose of basic management would seem to be called for so that the place would run more smoothly.
The basement is run as a Thai Spa and I can thoroughly recommend one of their treatments which is utterly sublime, if expensive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grande Albergo AUSONIA & HUGARIA is a historic residence in Venice with a one-of-a-kind atmosphere with a Thai SPA and wellness center. The hotel is just a few minutes from the dock where the "vaporetto", the local public water-bus transportation, leave every 10 minutes for Saint Mark's Square, the downtown of Venice. The suggestive boat trip is just 10 minutes long and takes you through the Saint Mark's basin.The hotel is a welcoming gem in Liberty style with period furniture, large frescoed halls, perfect for any type of event, a renowned restaurant and rooms with every comfort for a romantic and exclusive stay.Every year, many national and international stars select the Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria for their stay in Lido during the Mostra Internazionale d’Arte Cinematografica (the Venice Film Festival) to appreciate the beauty and charm of the timeless structure and the superior service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grande Albergo Ausonia And Hungaria Wellness & Spa On Venice Lido Hotel
- Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria Province Of Venice, Italy