We arrived here in between downpours last weekend and first impressions were good.
The exterior was grand & certainly felt like we were arriving outside a top end hotel.
The reception area was modest, the staff very friendly & informed with excellent English spoken.
We had upgraded to a suite of rooms and although not a four star, they were grand enough, traditional, tasteful & clean. The bathroom was clean, with a huge corner bath; the wooden floors of the rooms were polished, the bed was huge & our views out onto the front of the hotel were cool, a lovely terrace bar & gardens. The rooms had an overpowering and cheap smelling "air freshener" / diffuser which I could have done without, and the shower had a broken base, which didn't effect the shower but was the only small complaint so far. We were advised to avoid Venice that evening due to high tides & no wellies, we checked the bar at the hotel, no cocktails, just one couple and a few tumbleweeds! In the summer, the Lido would be magic, really buzzing, in Jan it was quieter but we found a friendly little street bar round the corner from the hotel & a great Italian restaurant further down the street. There are plenty of stores & shops open in close vicinity to the Hotel & the water ferry terminal is a few minutes walk; so it really is a doddle. Much less hectic than Venice. And in summer, the sandy beach nearby would be magic.
The Thai Spa is very smart at the hotel, but pricey. We didn't have a treatment, but we used the
other less expensive spa facilities & had a very relaxing afternoon, sauna, steam rooms, big Jacuzzi, wooden day beds etc; chilled out on green tea, big fluffy towels & new age music :)
The breakfast is good enough, they have plenty of fresh fruit, cereals, eggs, bacon, pastries & croissant. Homemade fresh yogurt in a freezing churn which is delicious & more like ice cream & the coffee was excellent. I know it's tempting to pull some places apart in these reviews, but frankly, it was a good value hotel, that wasn't run down or worn out as some reviews claim. If you want a clean, smart family friendly hotel with great amenities, a beach on the doorstep & Venice five minutes away by water bus; this is a good one to choose. I would definitely stay here again & again. Thanks for a lovely weekend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grande Albergo AUSONIA & HUGARIA is a historic residence in Venice with a one-of-a-kind atmosphere with a Thai SPA and wellness center. The hotel is just a few minutes from the dock where the "vaporetto", the local public water-bus transportation, leave every 10 minutes for Saint Mark's Square, the downtown of Venice. The suggestive boat trip is just 10 minutes long and takes you through the Saint Mark's basin.The hotel is a welcoming gem in Liberty style with period furniture, large frescoed halls, perfect for any type of event, a renowned restaurant and rooms with every comfort for a romantic and exclusive stay.Every year, many national and international stars select the Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria for their stay in Lido during the Mostra Internazionale d’Arte Cinematografica (the Venice Film Festival) to appreciate the beauty and charm of the timeless structure and the superior service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, LateRooms, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grande Albergo Ausonia And Hungaria Wellness & Spa On Venice Lido Hotel
- Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria Province Of Venice, Italy