First of all it must be said this hotel is big...very big indeed.The reception areas are grand and lavish & the whole hotel is on a scale that recalls a bygone era which is reinforced by the photographs of stars from the golden age of film who stayed there in the Lido's heyday.It would be hard not to be impressed by the sheer magnificence of it all.
The welcome from the staff was courteous and professional and our room (Grand deluxe with garden view) both overlooked part of the garden & the Adriatic as well.The Moorish inspired room was large,comfortable and pitch black when blinds and curtains pulled (a very good night's sleep) but the bathroom fairly ordinary in comparison to other areas of the hotel.
The shuttle boat from the hotel to the San Marco area left regularly every half hour either to the Danielli hotel or the Europa and was a lovely twenty minute ride.Often times,late at night (the last boat from Venice back to the hotel departs at midnight),we would be the only couple on the boat and it really did feel like our own private launch.
There's not a great deal to see in the immediate area surrounding the hotel and this certainly is a good option if you want to escape the hustle & bustle of the city.Should you not want to take the boat across to Venice,there are two very acceptable restaurants close to hand...La Tavernetta & Valentinos.
Breakfast was served in a big dining room with a good choice of both hot and cold dishes,and there was even Prosecco to hand for those who want an early morning boost.
Prices in the hotel for drinks,meals and sundries are expensive as is befitting of a 5 star hotel but there are options both locally & of course in Venice itself.
Prices vary greatly for the rooms so best to check out several sites for the best deal but having just returned home I am already missing the whole experience & would return in an instant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located right on Venice Lido beach, the Hotel Excelsior is a masterpiece of Venetian architecture dating back to the early 1900. An exclusive 5 star Deluxe Resort, of Moorish style and recalling a fabulous Venetian Renaissance palace, the Hotel Excelsior is ideal for family holidays, romantic getaways, conferences or special events in Venice.Stunning halls overlooking the sea, highly creative, contemporary Italian cuisine and competent, skilled staff, become ingredients of the hotel’s recognition and awareness among the best wedding and special events locations. Welcome to the Hotel Excelsior, for more than one century the best match of luxury, history, tradition with comfort and service, carefully built around you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TravelUp, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Excelsior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Excelsior Venice Lido Hotel
- Westin Venice
- Venice Westin
- Hotel Excelsior Province Of Venice, Italy