“The best!”

Hotel Excelsior Venice
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed here for one night during our 5 night stay on the Lido. I booked the Excelsior for a treat on my boyfriends birthday. We arrived a little before check in so had lunch which was amazing, they even popped a little candle on my boyfriends dessert! Our room was amazing, I loved the view over the courtyard and venice and the added extras were so lovely too! I loved the fluffy bath robes and sweets! The pool area was fab too with a view over the sea and a huge pool to have a swim.

All our meals were great including breakfast which had everything to choose from, a Procecco was just what I wanted to start my day!

My boyfriend and I had a great time while staying here and would love to go back one day.

2  Thank lornabowley

Reviewed 24 May 2014

The Excelsior Lido received some mixed comments in the internet. I got a pretty good deal on Secret Escapes and spent three nights to mark my 50th birthday. What can I say: I was more than happy: great room with original oriental interior decoration, huge in size and with high ceilings, immaculate housekeeping, rich and diverse breafast with attentive service. And the hotel itself: a dream in elegance and comfort. Interesting interior design with well-kept exterior areas. Particularly pleasing: You basically fall from the hotel set of stairs onto the beach which is also very clean and looked after. The pool area is also most pleasant. A huge and well-kept fitness room. At the reception we got good service, too. Even a late check-out was given without problem. My favourite: the regular motor boat shuttle to Piazza San Marco. Lovely to go from the beach onto the boat and drink a coffee under the Campanile less than half an hour later. Staying at the Excelsior combines the easy access to Venice and the advantage of being secluded in a beach resort. Simply great. I rank my stay easily among the first five priorities in the last ten years internationally. With reasonable expectations you will not be dissappointed, given you can pin down a good deal.

Room Tip: Obviously, looking at the sea is great. I personally had a cheaper room looking onto the Moorish cou...
1  Thank trufflesnout
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

A true five-star hotel. It is amazing how well the staff here accommodates all travelers. We were here with our family for my daughter's University honors trip. My wife and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary here. We had a room with a balcony that was exquisite. In all its glory the Excelsior was able to refurbish the hotel to its prime celebrity status it once held for numerous decades. During our stay the grounds were being spruced up the for the summer season. The beachfront was unbelievably well manicured it had seashells beyond belief for one to take for souvenirs. The menu for breakfast was extensive, with fresh sweet fruit, cereals Bread, cheese, ham, sausage, bacon and the staff was very attentive and we were glad we spent our first four days in Lido versus Venice. My father once lived here 40 years ago and the people and vendors were very kind and sincere. If you want to come to Venice and you're not on a sea cruise come Lido's Excelsior has a water taxi at no charge to take you back-and-forth to St. Mark's Square. Every meal from breakfast lunch and dinner was well prepared was excellent tasted fantastic the service was superior, Excelsior Hotel her and it's five-star I can't talk enough about it. If you are going to spend in Italy make sure you spend the last few days on the island of Lido. Get a room with a balcony overlooking the Adriatic Sea the views at sunrise are wonderful and at night although there are mosquitoes you can still open your balcony French doors and hear the ocean crashing on the sandy beaches and just imagine the rest of the world melting away.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rgf49er
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This hotel is wonderful by all standards. The room was large and very nicely decorated. It was extremely clean and housekeeping was very efficient and effective. The hotel is extremely well kept and has lovely common areas. The beautiful shuttle boat was always on time and it provided a very nice ride. Even when too many passengers needed a ride, the hotel just stepped up with another boat so we all could go and not wait on the next shuttle- which runs every hour. I had a view of the ocean from my balcony which added a nice touch. The bathroom was the nicest I have seen in Europe- full bath and shower, toilet and bidet plus double sinks. The staff was very pleasant and helpful (although not very successful with English).

My only complaint was the food, which was very expensive but a very nice place is just around the corner with reasonable prices and spectacular food. Also the bus stopped directly in front of the hotel, which I rode to the town of Lido which had nice places to shop and dine and much less crowded.

Room Tip: rooms with a view of the ocean have balconies.
1  Thank Marywallace12345
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The rooms were ample size and a door to separatet the bath and dressing area from the bedrooms. The beds were comfortable and had several pillows. The bathroom was large . The hair dryer did not work well so we skipped washing our hair till we got to the next hotel. We had breakfast included in our stay and it was ok. Of corse no where in Italy did we find coffee "to go" except the airports. The view of the ocean was breathtaking even if we didn't have it from our room. I would say it was one of the best hotels we had in Italy during the week were there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank galonthego60
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed at the Excelsior for 4 nights. The hotel is quiet, elegant, reminded me of the 60's Italian movies. The beds and rooms were very comfortable and the breakfast is outstanding. My main objection is that 16 Euro for a glass of wine is too high. We didn't eat dinner at the Excelsior because of the very high prices and in fact we saw several other guests also "escaping" to a nearby restaurant. The boat ride to Venice took about 15-20 minutes and was a beautiful way to see Venice.

Room Tip: I don't think it matters that much. The rooms are all nice.
1  Thank Patricia R
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We arrived here and the hotel was on fire. Cause of fire was to do with refurbishment of top floor. As we were part of a conference group we were asked to leave our luggage on the jetty and to carry on with our drinks reception in another hotel. They pulled this off very well in the circumstances. Our luggage was moved to the Hilton Stucky and we were put up there for 2 days (we wish it had been for the duration) We arrived back at the Excelsior 2 days later and were shown to grand high ceiling rooms with what i can only describe as bizarre deco. Orange and blue with venetian chandeliers and lights. The room had a middle eastern feel, part tukish / arabic - bizarre.
Bathroom was ok. No bath, only a shower. We had to ask for robes as there were none in the room. In fact 3 times we asked for robes before they finally brought towels and we explained again that we had no robes yet everyone else in our party did.
The hotel suffers from being really really boring. No english t.v channels and no movie channels although they are linked to a film festival.
Piano bar was awful. So pretentious and expensive. No atmosphere or vitality.
I felt the hotel was stagnant and dry.
My son's room was covered in ants. The view from our rooms was of a forgotten corner of the hotel garden with no view to the sea.
For breakfast we were stuck in a dark dingy corner next to the partitioned area for dead chairs. Not pleasant.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. Do yourself a favour.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mccclan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lido di Venezia
Residence Le Ville del Lido
#1 of 33 in Lido di Venezia
Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungari...
#3 of 33 in Lido di Venezia
Giudecca
Hilton Molino Stucky Venice Hotel
Quattro Fontane Hotel
#18 of 33 in Lido di Venezia

Been to Hotel Excelsior Venice? Share your experiences!