“Second time at Hotel Panorama”
Review of Hotel Panorama

Hotel Panorama
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Reviewed 16 March 2012

My wife and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary in 2007 at Hotel Panorama and decided to return for our 25th silver wedding anniversary. This time I pushed the boat out and booked the junior suite at the front of the hotel so we could enjoy the views. I also pre-booked some flowers for the room. It was only a three night stay so I sort restaurant suggestions from the hotel before arriving and they were very helpful with suggestions which I could then research before arrival. Why return?
1. Location.
A)Virtually all the water buses pass through the Lido making it easy to get to any where in Venice and the neighboring islands. I thought it would be a good idea to take the line 5 road bus to Venice and then get the local waterbus to the Lido but that was not a good plan. Take the waterbus from the airport to the Lido (1hr) as it is much more relaxing and easier to do. No dragging cases over bridges. I paid the extra to return to the airport by waterbus.
B)The view from the front of the hotel is wonderful. OK the new water bus station can creep into some camera shots from the 1st floor but morning, noon and night looking across to St Marks square is a real treat. I even managed to get our chair on to the veranda to sit in the sun and watch the world go by and read my book.
C) You don't get knocked down by herds of tourists as you step out of the hotel, but mind the road traffic which is present on the Lido.
2. The staff.
Having already been in discussion about our needs we had a warm welcome from the staff who were pleased to make our restaurant reservation for the following night. Cases taken to the room where the pre-ordered flowers were ready and looked lovely, plus two glasses of fizzy wine and a snack.
The day of the big meal did not go well as my wife suffered from a migraine for most of the day. No problem the staff cancelled the restaurant reservation.
The next day with the wife feeling better after breakfast we took advantage with another couple of being taken by private taxi boat for free which the hotel arranges to a glass works on Murano. We went on by bus to Burano. On return we asked the staff to make a reservation again with the restaurant and they obviously passed on details of our anniversary as we were surprised by 3 singing waiters and a cake with candles after our main course.
When I wanted to use the internet to check in for our flight and reserve seats they kindly let me use the office pc so I could print off the boarding passes although they do have a customer pc for web access.
3. The hotel has a majestic decor inside whilst appearing well kept outside. The junior suite with 2 small verandas to get the most of those views has two large wash basins, a jacuzzi bath (used twice a day, plenty of hot water, go easy on the bubble bath!), toilet and bidet, shower cubicle and fresh towels each day. The bed was comfortable and extra pillows were made available. No tea making facilities but minibar at not too unreasonable prices in room along with safe with key.The rooms are tastefully decorated in Venicean style, clean and tidy and well kept. We forgot to use the shutters until the last night to keep the sun out.
Up to date small tv with good picture and lots of Italian programs and MTV. Breakfast room is very nice, some may find the choice of breakfast items limited (no hot food) but there is plenty there to see you through to lunch. No lunch or dinner at the hotel but excellent Pizzeria to the right and 5+ other restaurants of varying price within 100m. Expect to pay EUR50 for two people at most places though. Our celebration meal topped EUR150 but was excellent.
If you find anything wrong while staying there simply ask the staff politely to investigate and correct it.
Yes we hope to go back again but we will make sure it is for at least 4 nights not 3.

Room Tip: You pay for a room with a view but it is worth it. However, you can save the money get a room at the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicholas K

Reviewed 2 March 2012

A front room at this hotel gives splendid views across the lagoon towards St Marco and the whole of Venice. The vaporetti stops right outside and the rooms are luxurious. There is no restaurant except a breakfast room, but in Venice who needs to stay in one place toeat!!!

Room Tip: Front rooms or corner rooms afford the best views.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank borrowedtheboots
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Before writing about the hotel, let me talk about the staff. No one wants to have troubles when traveling, right? But, unfortunately, this happens, and when it happens all you want is to be among friends. That's what you are going to find in this incredible hotel.

Because of the enormous cold Italy has faced these days our car has been freezed and stopped working just when we were leaving the hotel. Trouble hum? Not at all! We just had to sit down, relax and let the Eugenio, the front desk gentleman handle all the trouble. (including contact Sixt (rent-a-car), local mechanics, etc.). This is the most friendship treatment I've ever received in all hotels I've been. Fantastic!

Now about the hotel:

Location: The hotel is not located in Venice itself, Lido is an island in front of Venice (about 1 mile away). In my personal opinion, I would not stay in Venice because most of hotels are located in places without car access, and as I travel with a lot of luggages, it will not be easy to carry it in that tiny aisles of Venice. Besides that, Lido is a more modern-city-like island than Venice, then again, another personal taste. Just in front of the hotel (10 meters) there are boats to Venice every 10-20 minutes, 24hs a day, 7 days a week, all the year. When I say boats, this is more like buses, very comfortable seats and, as there are no waves in this area, very stable -- even for me that have dizziness issues I had no problems. The ticket is 6.5 euros per person, one way, kids don't pay. Surrounding the hotel there are bakerys, restaurants, bars and coffee-shopps.

Infrastructure: This is an old building from the outside view, but from the inside this is a quite fancy one. All the floors covered with marbles, beautiful view of the beach and Venice from the breakfast room, comfortable and cozy rooms with very well equipped restroom. Our room didn't have bathtub, but we were told this is possible to book it (if this is done with time) for the same price. The breakfast is light, does not include hot plates, which made no difference for myself.

Pros: Friendship (Nicest staff in Italy), good rooms, calm, quite, beautiful view.

Cons: For some people it's a con not being in Venice itself.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with bathtub!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2012

This hotel is a cozy little jewell in Lido, a 10 minute boat ride away from Venice. It is very comfortable, clean, and picturesque. The staff is young and eager to please. Everybody was very helpful. The shower facility was a bit cramped (don't drop the soap!), but overall very roomy. The breakfast is superb!!! Good coffee, danish, cold cuts, cheeses, and fruit. It also has a great view of Venice!!!
Lido is quiet, near the beach, and offers quaint little restaurants, and easy access to transportation to the other islands. This is a great place to see Venice during the day and get a peaceful night's rest at the same time.
Would like to see free internet access, but overall a... wonderful hotel!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My boyfriend had booked our first trip to Venice as a surprise for my birthday, I was pleasantly surprised by his choice of location and everything else he had arranged. Hotel Panorama (HP) is in an excellent location, the waterbus stop is right across the road and the main street with shops, restaurants etc is around the corner up the next street.

The staff are all very welcoming and always there for advice and tips on what to do, where to go. The room was nice and spacious with a decent sized bathroom, we stayed in room 207 on the 2nd floor. The view was lovely from our room, we could see right across the lagoon.

As other reviews state, it is nice to be across the water and away from the the mainland, with only a short ride on the waterbus.

All in all the hotel is in a great location and I would highly recommend it to all, we had a fabulous stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 207 which is on the corner of the hotel with a great view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca B
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed in this hotel for one night and we were impressed. The hotel is situated on the Lido island which is about 30min boat ride away from Venice.The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was one of the best we had in Italy and the bonus was that it was served in a room overlooking the water.
The only disappointment was that although we booked our room well in advance, we were told that the only room available in on the first floor which had no view at all. Apparently there was a better room on a higher floor which they gave to someone who just walked in earlier with no reservation.
Overall, if you are looking for a nice, peaceful place to stay which is away from the crowd and yet close enough, this hotel would be a good choice.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank panjegoli
Reviewed 19 December 2011

This was our final and best hotel we stayed at when we visited Italy, during our honeymoon. I thought staying on Lido, rather than Venice would be a pain. I was wrong. The island is a nice place to get away from the humanity on Venice.

PROS:
-The hotel is located on Lido, next to the boat terminal. This ideal location, made getting back and forth a snap.
-The view from our room was beautiful, and the streets were quiet.
-The hotel is nicely decorated, and looks very classy.
-The bathroom was fairly modern, clean, and roomy.
-The front desk employees were very helpful and courteous.
-The hotel is right off the water, which produces a nice sea breeze.
-The airconditioner was cool, and worked well.
-This hotel had TWO elevators. This was a first for us.
-The stairway was elegant, open, and airy.
-The water pressure and temperature were good.
-This hotel had facial tissues!
-HP has SKY TV which gave us a few more TV options rather than the other places we stayed.
-This was the first hotel we stayed at with actual stationery.
-The breakfast was filling, and featured fruits, pasteries, meats, and cheeses.

CONS:
-Our toilet seat had a crack in it. It didn't affect usage, but it is something I'd replace if I was the hotel owner.
-We were on the second floor, and sometimes street noise could be heard. Not as bad as when we were in Rome, though.
-One side of our room had a view of the building behind us. This was room 201.
-The safe was very small, and featured an actual key.
-This is another hotel where you have to give them your hotel key each time you leave.
-The shower was a tad small, and the doorway to the shower can be tight for big people.
-HP doesn't have curtians, but window dressings and wooden shudders. It's pretty much all or nothing with window privacy.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. The staff, location, and hotel made it one of the more peaceful points during our trip.

Room Tip: See if you can book a room that is in the front of the hotel, so you don't get any lackluster bu...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple