“Hotel staff are theives. Do not stay at Hotel Buon Pesce !!”

Viktoria Palace Hotel
Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I have been to the hotel in March 2009 with my wife and my child. By mistake while chatting with the Male Manager, I left my Digital Camera on the reception desk and left for my room. Upon entering my room I realised that I left my camera on the reception desk. Immediately I went back to the reception and asked, but of no avail. They grabbed my camera within 2 minutes. I begged them several times, but they did not return.

I lost all my photographs and memories of my trip. STAFF and the MANAGER IS TOTALLY DISHONEST.

If you plan to stay at this hotel, do it at your own risk.

Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
10  Thank AOPL

Reviewed 22 March 2009

I booked this hotel because i could'nt get a reservation for the whole trip in another hotel i had seen in Murano. Well, i wish i had'nt booked that one to stay my whole trip in the Buon Pesce! The experience was great. It is quite easy to go to Venice by the main Vaporetto Line. The room was cosy, elegant and, in the morning, the breakfast with a wonderful view on St'Marks Campanile was wonderful. Be careful anyway during the night as there is no restaurant in the hotel and there are only a few on the Lido. Though, we found one with a very tasty local food. Great experience as a whole!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank pollitis
Reviewed 23 January 2009

I initially booked this hotel as the photos looked good for the price, and although it was clear (with a bit of research) that it wasn't in Venice proper, it had excellent access to Venice. The price difference was substantial enough to warrant the minor inconvenience of staying slightly further afield. Or so I thought.

Firstly, you have to catch a bus from the airport which takes about an hour to get into the main bus terminal of Venice. You then have to take a short walk (5mins) to the waterbus stop. From there you catch a waterbus to Lido Island (45mins around Venice or 70 mins through Venice - more picturesque). Waterbuses are very frequent. Once on Lido Island, you catch a bus from the waterbus station to the hotel - 5 mins - or walk just over a mile. Buses can be upto half an hour intervals.

The Hotel itself is in a quiet location with good views of Venice proper. The frontage is very acceptable and quite quaint in fact, as is the lobby. We were put into an annex part of the hotel, which could have been nice as it was at the front of the hotel, with a balcony looking onto the lake. Except that it was one of the worst rooms I have stayed in. It was small. And cold. Very cold. The heating did not work despite my repeated requests. Not any fun with a one year old child. During the day there was plenty of building work right outside my balcony, so we couldn't even enjoy the views without builders looking in the room for some eyecandy - so we kept the blinds firmly shut!

We asked to be moved to another room and were told they were fully booked up. On our 3rd day they offered an upgrade to a superior room, which turned out to be an even smaller room but with a better view so we turned it down.

As we couldn't sleep at night because of the shivering and our child sneezing all night, I wanted to bring some breakfast to our room so my wife could stay in bed. The restaurant staff were incredibly rude and made a huge scene in the restaurant in front of the other guests, pointing out the strict 'no food to be taken out of the restaurant' policy. The less said about by sleep-deprived reaction the better! The restaurant only does a cold buffet breakfast. Lunch and dinner have to be dome elsewhere, so eat before you come back to your hotel, or its a long way to the nearest restaurant!

The reception staff are good during the day but the night staff are extremely rude and unhelpful, and more interested in going out for a cigarette than manning the desk.

Overall, I have to say that the magic of Venice and joy of our child running around St Marks Square (SMS) chasing birds was worth the entire experience. The 25 minute commute one way via waterbus from SMS to Lido Island is not too bad. Except that for anything more than 3 days it becomes a pain. Not to mention the diesel fumes. Everything considered, I would have probably paid a bit more to stay a bit closer to the magical Venice.

To compound the whole experience, I found out upon my return that my Amex had been charged TWICE!!! That was in September 2008. January 2009 and I am still awaiting their refund, which they have acknowledged to be a mistake.

Venice is amazing. And expensive. But worth pating a bit more for a better hotel than this. I will certainly learn for next time!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Bob123UK
Reviewed 31 August 2008

From arrival until checkout, our stay at Buon Pesce was faultless. The Staff were friendly, helpful and courteous throughout. We were even given a complimentary Water Taxi trip.
The Hotel is situated on one of the most pictuaresque parts of the Lido with excellent access for the Vaporetto connections at S. Maria Elizabetta and the centre of the Lido, and the view of Venice from the hotel is spectacular.
The breakfast is excellent and the coffee very good, the rooms (en suite) are spacious enough for two with plenty of room for clothing, and the balcony view of the gardens is very good.
Special praise must be given to the Reception Staff, their unfailling good humour and patience could not be surpassed.
Thank you very much for taking care of us.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patbermac
Reviewed 5 August 2008

I visited this hotel in the summer of 2006. First, it is a hike to get there. From the airport, we had to take a bus into Venice proper. Once there, we took the water bus to the Lido. Silly us then decided to walk to the hotel. Thank God for rolling luggage. I highly recommend a bus. The exterior of the hotel was quite charming, as it is fairly secluded and right on the water. The best part of our stay was breakfast. The food was standard European breakfast fare (cereals, pastries, toast, yogurt, fruit, coffee, juices, etc.), but the option to eat outside on the patio made the meal worthwhile. The room was clean but a little dated. The avocado-hued bathroom was a decent size.
At first the hotel's location seemed to be somewhat of a handicap, but it turned out to have a huge advantage - staying so far away from Venice's sights meant that we had to begin each day with a boat ride into town, and each night we escaped the hordes. Even though we were there in August (I know, I know, bad time to visit, but I had just taken the bar exam so I didn't have much choice), by wandering away from St. Marks we always managed to escape the crowds and have the opportunity to have the city to ourselves for a while, especially in St'Elena.
I digress. I recommend the hotel for budget travelers (we paid $67 a night on Hotwire) who don't mind the quiet trek to and from Venice, which can be quite nice, but I do not recommend it for people who need more comforts, are pressed for time, or are planning to stay out late, as the trip back can be long, and public transportation may have stopped working by the time you're ready to head home.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AshAtlanta
Reviewed 9 October 2007

Although the hotel had a lovely setting right on the water front, the two rooms (booked 6 months in advance for 5 nights) were not available. No apology was offered at all, the manager was very off-hand and we were sent to the sister hotel. Due to a 'slip of the tongue' in the sister hotel, this happens regularly - so beware!

• Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank mrspink
Reviewed 4 October 2007

Arriving well after midday with a small child we were told that the rooms would not be available until 5.00. The reason for this was not made clear and was given a sense of mystery which we could well have done without. The person on the desk was just about as obnoxious as he could be without actually slapping us about. The room (No. 13 !) cramped and the "bathroom" didn't have enough room to swing a face flannel never mind a cat..
Breakfast very good in the "help yourself except get cold coffee served" style all accompanied by music which could have depressed the nuns who sounded as though they were the ones singing. A truly unforgettable (and unrepeatable) experience.

Stayed: September 2007